Tummy Tuck for Skin, Fat, and Stretch Marks After Pregnancy?

I'm 5'11 and 249 lbs. After pregnancy, I have a hanging mass of skin, fat, and stretch marks. I went from 186 lbs to 277 lbs. I have zero elasticity, and 1 week after I had my daughter, I had dropped from 277 lbs to 231 lbs. I am still overweight and currently trying to lose the weight, but I have this hanging mass on my stomach of stretch marks and fat. It's horrific.

I want a tummy tuck and have done a lot of research, but how much will it cost me? How much do I need to lose before I should have the surgery? I don't accept blood at all, is that a concern?

Tummy Tuck in D.C.

Several things will determine the best timing for your tummy tuck surgery. If you only recently delivered, then the welfare of you baby needs to come first whether that involved breast feeding or just being physically able to care for her. During this time you should try to lose weight hopefully returning to near your pre-pregnancy weight. Sometimes this is unrealistic in which case you want to return to a stable weight. Once your weight has stabilized and you are sure you want no more children, then it is time to consider tummy tuck surgery.

While weight loss won't change the amount of excess skin that you have, and may actually worsen it, you will be a better candidate for surgery and can expect better outcomes. Costs for this type of surgery vary depending upon the region in which you live. In the Washington DC area expect costs of $7500-10000. As for blood transfusions, this is a very rare thing to be required with routine tummy tuck surgery. Good luck to you.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

3700 Joseph Siewick Dr
Fairfax, VA 22033

Tummy tuck for skin, fat, and stretch marks

Hi, a tummy tuck will remove all of the skin, fat, and stretch marks below your belly button. This will also tighten your muscles and flatten your abdomen. The stretch marks above your belly button will not be removed, but they may appear less prominent after surgery since the skin will be pulled tight. You will have a much better result and an easier recovery if you are able to get closer to your target weight prior to surgery. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

1021 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028

Look at your BMI - you are34

Right now, your weight and height put you in the obese category. If you want a good result from a tummy tuck you must loose weight and get below 200 lbs. Then we can remove the excess skin and fat and you will look great. The price of this depends on where you live, In the NY region it is in the $10,000 range.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

308 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075

Tummy tuck for a "Mommy Makeover"

It appears as though you are a fantastic candidate for a tummy tuck! The cost is around $7,000 and blood transfusions are extremely rare for a tummy tuck. Concerning weight loss, if you're planning on losing a lot more wait for any procedure as you may get more hanging skin after the weight loss. Therefore, make sure your weight is stable for 3 months and then consider a tummy tuck. Check out some before and after pictures to get an idea of what you can expect from the procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

10807 Falls Rd
Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093

You are a very good candidate for tummy tuck surgery

I would recommend to you that you get as close to your "ideal" body weight as you can prior to surgery. This will give you a better long term result. Your stretch marks cannot be removed completely but you will have significant fat removal and tightening of the muscles. Prices vary by physician and region and you should get multiple consultations to determine price and to meet your proposed physician. Not accepting blood is concerning as your chances of needing blood are far below 1%, but if you do develop a bleeding problem you could run into trouble. Good luck!

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

2322 E Oakland Park Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306

Removal of stretch marks with a tummy tuck

You should always try to lose weight before a tummy tuck as the results will most likely change with weight loss. Usually the skin will loosen as the patient loses weight. Consider losing abour 40 Lbs given your height.

You will lose some of your stretch marks with a tummy tuck but not all. The stretch marks below the belly button will be removed. with an additional incision the stretch marks in the middle abdomen will also be removed. The stretch marks that are on the upper abdominal sides will not be removed.

Usually tummy tuck patient do not require blood transfusions but do realize there is a risk of bleeding with any surgery. Taking a supplement with iron before surgery can help boost your blood counts.

The cost of a tummy tuck will vary depending on location of surgery. Figure $7000 and up.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

348 Jericho Tpke
Syosset, NY 11758

Tummy tuck for skin, fat, and stretch marks after pregnancy?

Your photographs and description suggest that you would be an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty if you lose weight. Ideally you should be within 10 pounds of your ideal weight before performing this procedure. Many patients desire to lose weight but just cannot. The more you lose however, the better recontouring you can expect. In the performance of a full abdominoplasty, an incision is made from one hip to the other. The incision is carried through the skin and fat layer and stops at the muscle layer. At this level the skin and fat layer is elevated off of the underlying muscle layer. This elevation is continued up to the belly button. An incision is then made around the belly button to keep it in it's normal location allowing the skin and fat layer to continue to be elevated up to the rib margin. Very often tightening of the muscle layer is then accomplished before removing the excess skin. The loose skin and fat layer is then pulled down snugly and the excess skin and fat is then removed. The belly button has not been moved or removed. It is still in it's normal location underneath the skin and fat layer. An incision is made over the belly button and it is pulled up to the surface and re-stitched in it's original location.
Losing her excess weight and having this procedure performed could be a life changing event. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Within 10% of ideal body weight is best...

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from tummy tuck surgery.It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.For these reasons, we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.
Unfortunately, reaching an ideal weight is easier said than done.The vast majority of patients are unsuccessful at losing this additional weight.It’s also important to realize that even when patients are overweight, they can potentially benefit from abdominoplasty.We therefore evaluate every patient on an individual basis.
Although bleeding can ocassionally be seen in post-operative abdominoplasty patients, this complication is fortunately rare.For this reason, it’s unusual for patients undergoing this procedure to require transfusions.
The cost of abdominoplasty is variable and depends on several factors, including the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, and anesthesia charges.Fees in the Midwestern United States typically range between $5,000 and $8,000.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Tummy Tuck

Patient selection is one of the keys to safety in a tummy tuck or any other plastic surgery procedure. I regularly perform survey on people who do not accept blood. However, it is very important that patients are healthy, including being at a healthy weight prior to surgery in order to have the safest experience and best results.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Stretch marks after pregnancy

You appear to be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty and you should get a nice result. Your result would be even better if you lost weight prior to surgery.  Typically the ellipse of skin that is removed during the procedure will remove the central stretch marks below your umbilicus.A full tummy tuck will remove the skin below your belly button.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and a thorough discussion of your goals and to learn what is possible.

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097