Tummy Tuck for Skin, Fat, and Stretch Marks After Pregnancy?

I'm 5'11 and 249 lbs. After pregnancy, I have a hanging mass of skin, fat, and stretch marks. I went from 186 lbs to 277 lbs. I have zero elasticity, and 1 week after I had my daughter, I had dropped from 277 lbs to 231 lbs. I am still overweight and currently trying to lose the weight, but I have this hanging mass on my stomach of stretch marks and fat. It's horrific.

I want a tummy tuck and have done a lot of research, but how much will it cost me? How much do I need to lose before I should have the surgery? I don't accept blood at all, is that a concern?

You should be at your ideal weight and fitness level before Mommy Makeover

+2

For any Mom considering Plastic Surgery such as a "mommy makeover", I always advise women to achieve their weight loss goals prior to seriously considering surgery.

You should have lost as much weight as you feel is reasonably realistic, be physically fit, and have healthy nutrition as part of your lifestyle.

There should also be "calmness" in your personal and/or professional life. Chaos is never a good fit with surgery!

Most Moms seek a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), which removes excess lower abdominal skin and fat (including some stretch marks!), tightens the muscles of the abdominal wall back together, and decreases the waist line. Sometimes liposuction of the flanks and/or upper abdomen are added to the procedure, if needed.

For women who have not yet reached their ideal weight but who have a large overhang of skin and fat (a "pannus") in their lower abdominal region, it is possible as an interim procedure, to do a limited "panniculectomy". This will only remove the overhang but will not address the abdominal muscles or the upper abdomen.

Be sure to visit a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon with a great deal of experience in these types of procedures!

Tummy tuck best option after pregnancy

+2

First, I'm assuming that you are done having children. If you plan on having more children soon, it may be better to wait until you are done having children before you have the tummy tuck. You will get the best result if you get as close to your "ideal" weight before having the tummy tuck. What is "ideal" isn't obvious. Your current BMI is over 34. This is considered obese. To get below 30, you would need to be 215 pounds or less. You need to find the weight where you are comfortable.

Once you achieve this goal, then you will likely have the best result by combining tummy tuck and liposuction. Tummy tuck alone will give you a very nice result for your abdomen but by adding liposuction you will create a beautiful figure! The cost of these procedures varies significantly from state to state and depends on the physician and if he is going to do liposuction or not. As far as blood transfusions are concerned, I have never had to give blood to a cosmetic surgery patients. The chance of needing a blood transfusion is extremely low.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

+2

Thanks for posting the picture - it is very helpful. While you could have the surgery now, it would be best for you to loose weight prior to surgery to maximize your results. The stretch marks below your belly button will be gone and possibly even those a couple inches above your belly button as well. Prices vary from city to city and between surgeons. You are looking at anywhere between $8000 and $20,000 or more depending where you go and if you need to spend a night in the hospital. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy Tuck after Pregnancy

+2

It would be ideal for you to be in close range of the weight you are comfortable at. Within in range means around 10 lbs.

As far as cost goes, I dont know where you are from but it really depends on the state and even then on the region within your state. But you are looking at around $8-10,000. Big range but it just depends on the surgeon and area again.

As far as not accepting blood, that is not of concern. There is minimal blood loss during an abdominoplasty procedure.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Tummy Tuck in D.C.

+2

Several things will determine the best timing for your tummy tuck surgery. If you only recently delivered, then the welfare of you baby needs to come first whether that involved breast feeding or just being physically able to care for her. During this time you should try to lose weight hopefully returning to near your pre-pregnancy weight. Sometimes this is unrealistic in which case you want to return to a stable weight. Once your weight has stabilized and you are sure you want no more children, then it is time to consider tummy tuck surgery.

While weight loss won't change the amount of excess skin that you have, and may actually worsen it, you will be a better candidate for surgery and can expect better outcomes. Costs for this type of surgery vary depending upon the region in which you live. In the Washington DC area expect costs of $7500-10000. As for blood transfusions, this is a very rare thing to be required with routine tummy tuck surgery. Good luck to you.

Mitchel Krieger, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for skin, fat, and stretch marks

+2

Hi, a tummy tuck will remove all of the skin, fat, and stretch marks below your belly button. This will also tighten your muscles and flatten your abdomen. The stretch marks above your belly button will not be removed, but they may appear less prominent after surgery since the skin will be pulled tight. You will have a much better result and an easier recovery if you are able to get closer to your target weight prior to surgery. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Look at your BMI - you are34

+2

Right now, your weight and height put you in the obese category. If you want a good result from a tummy tuck you must loose weight and get below 200 lbs. Then we can remove the excess skin and fat and you will look great. The price of this depends on where you live, In the NY region it is in the $10,000 range.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck for a "Mommy Makeover"

+2

It appears as though you are a fantastic candidate for a tummy tuck! The cost is around $7,000 and blood transfusions are extremely rare for a tummy tuck. Concerning weight loss, if you're planning on losing a lot more wait for any procedure as you may get more hanging skin after the weight loss. Therefore, make sure your weight is stable for 3 months and then consider a tummy tuck. Check out some before and after pictures to get an idea of what you can expect from the procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

You are a very good candidate for tummy tuck surgery

+2

I would recommend to you that you get as close to your "ideal" body weight as you can prior to surgery. This will give you a better long term result. Your stretch marks cannot be removed completely but you will have significant fat removal and tightening of the muscles. Prices vary by physician and region and you should get multiple consultations to determine price and to meet your proposed physician. Not accepting blood is concerning as your chances of needing blood are far below 1%, but if you do develop a bleeding problem you could run into trouble. Good luck!

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Removal of stretch marks with a tummy tuck

+2

You should always try to lose weight before a tummy tuck as the results will most likely change with weight loss. Usually the skin will loosen as the patient loses weight. Consider losing abour 40 Lbs given your height.

You will lose some of your stretch marks with a tummy tuck but not all. The stretch marks below the belly button will be removed. with an additional incision the stretch marks in the middle abdomen will also be removed. The stretch marks that are on the upper abdominal sides will not be removed.

Usually tummy tuck patient do not require blood transfusions but do realize there is a risk of bleeding with any surgery. Taking a supplement with iron before surgery can help boost your blood counts.

The cost of a tummy tuck will vary depending on location of surgery. Figure $7000 and up.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon