Return to Work 10 Days After Tummy Tuck with Breast Lift and Implants?

Can I return to work in 10 days after a full tummy tuck and breast lift with breast implants? I'm a dental assistant and I do a lot of moving around. Thanks.

Possible, but three weeks is more realistic after this much surgery

Because you are in a field which involves standing for long periods, three weeks after surgery to return to work is much more realistic than ten days, although each patient is different and you may be able to return to work sooner.

Recovery from a Mommy Makeover (Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift Combined)

The recovery from a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation or breast lift with or without a breast implant (a mommy makeover) should be about 24 hours!  The protocol for 24 hour recovery for breast augmentation can be applied to the breast lift (with or without an implant) as well as an abdominoplasty!  The use of Sientra implants makes it even easier as there is no massage or special bras required with this implant.

The abdominoplasty portion of a mommy makeover is the hardest part but now with the no drain technique for the tummy tuck along with special drugs for the muscle repair and the 24 hour protocol most if not all of my patients are recovered in 24 hours.  This does mean they are healed but it does mean that they are up and around, able to get out for a walk, back into their normal clothes, taking showers and ready to go out for a casual dinner the next night.

In general, with this protocol, you should be able to drive in a day or two and get back to activities like a desk job within a week.  The one thing with the tummy tuck that is limiting is the muscle repair.It takes about 6 weeks for this to completely heal and as a result we limit you from doing heavy lifting for 6 weeks to prevent tearing out these stitches.

Many people ask, “How is this possible?”, but it is nothing magical.  We are simply employing the same techniques that they use in sports medicine to get athletes back on the field so incredibly fast.  Things are rapidly changing in medicine and when your surgeon combines many of the techniques available today amazing things are possible.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Return to work

It is such a personal thing some patients are so comfortable after major surgery and for others it takes for ever to feel comfortable. The problem is that if you go back to normal activity too soon you may increase you chances of bleeding or fluid collection under the flaps. If you have the possibility take month off.

Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Given your desires, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. I typically recommend a 6 week period of no strenuous activity/vigorous exercise and no heavy lifting along with an abdominal binder for the same time period. It usually takes 6-12 weeks for full healing and swelling to subside before results final. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation/Tummy Tuck Recovery

Although a Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Recovery happen simultaneously so the recovery is the same for a tummy tuck alone 10 days is NOT enough time to recover. BTW: My personal favorite way of doing a breast augmentation at the same time as a tummy tuck is through the tummy tuck incision therefore there are NO BREAST SCARS for the tummy tuck.
Frequently, additional enhancing surgeries such as breast augmentation or liposuction to improve the waistline or other regions, pubis lift or other breast surgery can be performed at the same time as a tummy tuck without delaying your recovery period. That is what a "mommy makeover" is all about.
Following the TT surgery, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months to a year or more.
Abdominoplasty involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical. 3-5 days or more of assistance at home is usually indicated. You will be encouraged to move and walk regularly starting the day of surgery. Wearing your TED stockings at all times, except while washing, to prevent venous clots (deep vein thrombosis) is mandatory. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions.
Tweet

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Suggest three-week tummy tuck recovery before return to dental assistant work

Thank you for your question. Of course it is best that you follow the advice of the plastic surgeon who is performing your surgery about how long to take off of work after tummy Tuck and breast surgery. A dental assistance job involves a lot of standing, using your upper body and arms, not to mention that you'll be exposed to many different people with different bacterial skin flora. My own opinion is that 3 weeks may be necessary for you to be comfortable returning to your work.

Return to work after tummy tuck and breast lift/implants

A tummy tuck is a big procedure and does require some getting used to after surgery.  If you have a desk job and your pain is relatively well controlled, and the overall degree of surgery is on the low-to-average range, then I think this amount of time if feasible.  If you do a lot of walking around, then you may plan to have a transition period at work (i.e. shorter work days to begin with or lighter duty).  You should be completely off narcotics prior to returning to work.  Consider a pain pump to help manage your post-op pain so you require less narcotics.  The recovery from the breast lift/implants is usually much easier to cope with and is common to address both of these at the same time.  I would be extra prepared to ensure that you prepare for the post-operative activity restrictions such as minimal lifting until you reach 4 weeks time (ideally six).  The more you make accommodations beforehand, the easier it is to cope with the recovery process.

Tummy tuck recovery

I think it is best to prepare for a “recovery”  of 4 weeks after tummy tuck  surgery. Descriptions of recovery times shorter than this,  in my opinion, is over-promising.

I do have another word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.
It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively.
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

Return to Work Following Tummy Tuck & Mastopexy

Since you work as a dental assistant, I think 10 days is an insufficient time to take off following a TT and mastopexy with implants.  I feel that you would need a minimum of three weeks before returning to work.

John Whitt, MD (retired)