Tummy Tuck Revision to Fix Belly Button and Bulge?

I am 5 months post-op from Tummy Tuck, diastasis recti, and hernia repair. Not only do I look the same as I did pre-surgery, but now my belly button is disfigured, have "dog ears", large scar and pain.

I feel like my intestines push up against mesh inside and when I eat or sit I get a bulge in a 5x5 area around my belly button which hurts and burns. This surgery was done to re-build my stomach wall to help aid in supporting my very bad back. I have no stomach muscle strength.

Tummy Tuck Revision for belly button and bulge

+3

I fully agree with Drs. Placik and Rand. It SOUNDS like you had a ventral hernia repair with a mesh. From your description "feel like my intestines push up against mesh inside and when I eat or sit I get a bulge in a 5x5 area around my belly button which hurts and burns", you SEEM to have a separation of your muscles AND a recurrent hernia (the 5x5 bulging area).

You may want to try wearing a binder whenever upright but I would recommend you see your surgeons and see what they have to say. I would also collect copies of your medical records, especially operative reports and any radiological studies, to present them to any second opinion doctors you may want to visit. I would focus on surgeons specializing in hernia repair and Plastic surgeons who perform an abdominal wall reconstruction operation called COMPONENT SEPARATION.

Good Luck.

Tummy tuck issue

+3

What you have is not normal. There are many issues here and you probably should go to a plastic surgeon (probably at a University) who does a lot of abdominal wall reconstruction. You would potentially need to redo the entire surgery to get the result you want. It is also possible that your tissues just aren't going to stay tight no matter what is done.

Recurrent bulge after a tummy tuck

+3

Have you discussed this with your surgeon(s)? I am sure that this is very upsetting to you. It appears that your muscles have separated but this is an opinion based on very limited information. You may need a more complex operation called a separation of parts but It may be worth attemptinfg the muscle repair one more time.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/tummy.html

Tummy tuck scars- dog ears

+2

It seams that you still have significant skin redundancy and you can pinch much lower abdominal skin. Also, I do agree that your abodminal wall is weak. Not knowing your full medical/surgical history, I recommend to have your surgeon evaluate you for revision abdominoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillslooks.com/

Tummy tuck revision

+2

Based on your pictures revisionary surgery or more accurately abdominal wall reconstruction is necessary. This would likely involve repair of any diastasis recti or hernia present. Further skin/adipose  tissue excision of the flank and back areas may be necessary to improve contour and eliminate “dog ears".

Seek consultation with a well-trained experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Yes and no....

+2

Revision is harder than the original operation. It looks like you should be able to get some improvement, but if you mean by "fix" that everything will be entirely corrected, I would say no. You need a good evaluation by a qualified surgeon to assess what has happened and what might be done to improve it. Listen before you jump into more surgery.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Seek Your Original Surgeon and Get an Evaluation Regarding This Swelling

+1

Its normal to have some swelling following abdominoplasty, but swelling of this magnitude five months following surgery suggest a structural abnormality of the abdominal wall.  In this situation a comprehensive evaluation should be undertaken to determine the cause of the problem.

It’s important that you return to your original surgeon for an evaluation.  This evaluation might require a CT scan to evaluate the integrity of the abdominal wall.  In light of the fact that mesh was utilized there’s a good chance that this has become detached from the abdominal tissue.  Under these circumstances, surgical revision might necessary to correct this problem.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

A revision should bring you closer to the results you want.

+1
I agree with what others here have said: your improvements should be more apparent by five months after surgery. Your first step should be to contact your surgeon about your concerns. However, don’t feel like you need to stick with him or her for your revision, especially if you’re not confident that your surgeon will be able to deliver positive results the second time around either. Instead, take the time to find a board-certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience in tummy tuck revisions, as the second surgery is often more technically challenging than the first. In many cases, insurance may pay for your revision surgery as well.
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

From your description, I am concerned that you have had a hernia repair and a recurrent hernia.  I am in agreement that you should work with a Plastic Surgeon that does a lot of abdominal wall reconstruction.

Problems after abdominoplasty and repair of the anterior abdominal wall

+1

It would be good to see your pre-operative photos.  You do not appear to have a normal result from an abdominoplasty.  It is also not very common to have to use mesh to repair the abdominal wall fascia.  You may need to be seen by an experienced plastic surgeon who can perform an exam and review your previous operative note.  

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.