Need for a Second Tummy Tuck?

I had a full Tummy Tuck with Liposuction and hernia repair 6 weeks ago. I have left over fat and loose skin above my belly button. My plastic surgeon offered to do some lipo and lower my scar, which will pull me a little tighter. I'm afraid this will not work because most of the lax skin is above my bb. I feel like only a second tummy tuck will get me good results. What do you think?

Second Tummy Tuck-wait 6 months

At 6 weeks you still have a lot of swelling. I agree that you have excess skin above the belly button and will likely need a Full Tummy Tuck to correct the loose skin above the umbilicus.

However it is best to wait 6 months for swelling to go down to get the best result from a revision or second Tummy Tuck

Revisional Abdominoplasty

Revisional abdominoplasty can be very difficult for a multitude of reasons.  Corrective surgery should always be accompanied by a careful analysis of the problem so that therapeutic measures can be optimized.  Obtaining a beautiful result from revisional abdominoplasty requires the correct assessment of the problem and appropriate surgical intervention.

Although it’s impossible to adequately assess your abdomen without a physical examination, your picture strongly suggest the presence of large amounts of excess abdominal skin above the level of your umbilicus.

Under these circumstances, resection of lower abdominal skin and liposuction of the upper abdomen wouldn’t solve your problem.  In reality, it might even make to the problem more noticeable.  In this situation, a complete abdominoplasty is probably necessary to correct your problem. 

It’s important that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.  If you’re uncomfortable with your surgeon’s response, a second opinion might be necessary.

Need for a Second Tummy Tuck?

If the picture is your post op result, then you need a major revision as you have excess skin remaining. It looks like more could have been taken off with the first surgery.

Tummy Tuck Revision in Los Angeles

You may still have residual swelling. I perform many revision tummy tucks and observation is often warranted. I would also suggest an abdominal liposuction procedure to enhance your torso. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Revision tummy tuck

Good afternoon!

from your photos is does appear that you have a significant amount of excess skin above your belly button.  A full abdominoplasty  would be the best way to eliminate that extra tissue.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD

Need for a second tummy tuck...

Hello. It is difficult to see what exactly can be done to fix your abdomen without and examination. I would recommend you wait a few months post op and then make a decision if your results are not how you desired them to be. Best of luck to you!!

Jaime Perez, MD

Need for a Second Tummy Tuck?

Although it is difficult to answer this question without a formal examination, you may in fact benefit from another procedure.  Liposuction can be beneficial in contouring, and a second tummy tuck could remove more skin.  On the other hand, you are only 6 weeks out, so it is far too soon to judge.  Finish you care with your current surgeon and should you seek another opinion I always recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  In your case, should you be leaning toward a second tummy tuck, make sure he/she has done many revision procedures as there are different risks involved.
Best of luck.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Patience is your best allie

I am sorry you did not fulfill the expectations of your surgery.

To answer your question:

Usually excess skin would not go away with liposuction.
If you have excess skin above the belly button, Undermining above the belly button to the level of your xyphoid will help redrapping the whole skin flap. Then removal of skin will address the excess. Without undermining, your lower abdomen will be tighter and the upper one should remain the same.

At this point, wait at least 6 months before considering any further procedures. You will be able to assess the outcome then, and plan better for a potential revision if needed.

Best luck in your journey.

Julio Clavijo-Alvarez

Need for a second Tummy Tuck?

Secondary tummy tuck would seem to be in your best interest. However I would wait for all of the inflammatory changes from your surgery to have subsided. Which is usually by 6 months. A good history will determine whether or not you really obtained an optimal result from your original surgery. Pre op photographs would be helpful to know what your original condition was like. Hope this helps.

Revision Tummy Tuck Surgery

Thank you for your question and photo.  It may be more helpful to see a photo of you standing straight up.  I don't suggest revisionary surgery only 6 weeks post op tummy tuck surgery. You need to allow your body to completely heal prior to considering revision.  I usually ask patients to wait 6-9 months to re-assess things and decide what is the best option to consider.

Best Wishes!