I had a full Tummy Tuck with Liposuction and hernia repair 6 weeks ago. I have left over fat and loose skin above my belly button. My plastic surgeon offered to do some lipo and lower my scar, which will pull me a little tighter. I'm afraid this will not work because most of the lax skin is above my bb. I feel like only a second tummy tuck will get me good results. What do you think?
Need for a Second Tummy Tuck?
Doctor Answers (18)
Revision tummy tuck
from your photos is does appear that you have a significant amount of excess skin above your belly button. A full abdominoplasty would be the best way to eliminate that extra tissue.
I hope this helps
Second Tummy Tuck-wait 6 months
Thank you for your question.
At 6 weeks you still have a lot of swelling. I agree that you have excess skin above the belly button and will likely need a Full Tummy Tuck to correct the loose skin above the umbilicus.
However it is best to wait 6 months for swelling to go down to get the best result from a revision or second Tummy Tuck
Revisional abdominoplasty can be very difficult for a multitude of reasons. Corrective surgery should always be accompanied by a careful analysis of the problem so that therapeutic measures can be optimized. Obtaining a beautiful result from revisional abdominoplasty requires the correct assessment of the problem and appropriate surgical intervention.
Although it’s impossible to adequately assess your abdomen without a physical examination, your picture strongly suggest the presence of large amounts of excess abdominal skin above the level of your umbilicus.
Under these circumstances, resection of lower abdominal skin and liposuction of the upper abdomen wouldn’t solve your problem. In reality, it might even make to the problem more noticeable. In this situation, a complete abdominoplasty is probably necessary to correct your problem.
It’s important that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. If you’re uncomfortable with your surgeon’s response, a second opinion might be necessary.
You might also like...
Need for a second Tummy Tuck?
Secondary tummy tuck would seem to be in your best interest. However I would wait for all of the inflammatory changes from your surgery to have subsided. Which is usually by 6 months. A good history will determine whether or not you really obtained an optimal result from your original surgery. Pre op photographs would be helpful to know what your original condition was like. Hope this helps.
Need for a Second Tummy Tuck?
If the picture is your post op result, then you need a major revision as you have excess skin remaining. It looks like more could have been taken off with the first surgery.
Tummy Tuck Revision in Los Angeles
You may still have residual swelling. I perform many revision tummy tucks and observation is often warranted. I would also suggest an abdominal liposuction procedure to enhance your torso. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles
Need for a revision tummy tuck
Hello. Six weeks after surgery the tissues are swollen and the final postoperative result isn't visible. You need to wait before considering additional procedures. Usually at least 3 months is necessary for the swelling to nearly fully resolve but it can often take 6 months or more. The safest thing to do is to wait for your tissues to heal before considering any additional procedures. If there is significant loose skin above the belly button then liposuction may not be the best option but it could give an improvement.
Need for a second tummy tuck...
Hello. It is difficult to see what exactly can be done to fix your abdomen without and examination. I would recommend you wait a few months post op and then make a decision if your results are not how you desired them to be. Best of luck to you!!
Revision Tummy Tuck Surgery
Thank you for your question and photo. It may be more helpful to see a photo of you standing straight up. I don't suggest revisionary surgery only 6 weeks post op tummy tuck surgery. You need to allow your body to completely heal prior to considering revision. I usually ask patients to wait 6-9 months to re-assess things and decide what is the best option to consider.