Submentoplasty or Neck Lift for Fat and Sagging Under Chin?

I'm considering submentoplasty or neck lift and wondering which one would be better for me. Some surgeon suggests neck lift, some submentoplasty. I'm 48 years old, normal weight, healthy woman. I have some extra fat under my chin and some sagging skin. I add the photo, where I'm swallowing, because then my neck look worse.

Neck Lift Best Option for Fat and Loose Neck Skin

+4

There is loose skin on the neck below the submental area. You will need a Neck Lift to correct the loose akin and give you the best result.

Excess submental fat beneath the chin can be resected during the neck lift.

Neck options

+2

It looks like fromthe one photo that you posted that you could benefit from neck skin redraping at the minimum. You may also require some fat contouring as well.  As for muscle work, I would have to evaluate you.

If you want the best result you will need both.

+2

In these current times there is so much emphasis on "mini" this and that it is not what the consumer should be focused on. You have both issues: submental and excess skin laterally. In doing facelift surgery for more than 30 years I try to give patients the best result, not the "mini-est". This means addressing both problems.

Submentoplasty vs neck lift

+1

The modality to be used to im-prove neck contour  is based on the physical exam. Non-invasive therapies are only useful for minor corrections. Skin only incision are not useful because skin is elastic and will only relax over time. Any excess skin will have to be removed but that is only half the solution. More often than not, the underlying structure (muscle, deep and superficial fat) need to be tightened, some removed and repositioned. This type of lift tightens the neck muscle (platysma) if they are loose or splayed. During this procedure a 3cm incision is made just behind the chin crease and the muscle in the neck is accessed and tightened with sutures in way a corset would be tightened. Chin implant and liposuction can be done through this same incision. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a treatment plan specific to your needs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Necklifts outperform submentoplasty alone if skin tone is poor

+1

Based on your photograph, I would be concerned about remaining skin looseness with a necklift but no skin removal/redraping across the entire neck. I would lean toward necklift.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for fat and sagging under the chin

+1

A neck lift will not address the excess skin that is present in the submental area of the neck. A submentoplasty is simply just tying the muscles together. A comprehensive lower face/neck lift addresses all of the above including the jowling that is present. According to the photo, there is fat present in the neck, along with early platysmal banding, so a neck lift would be better than a submentoplasty.

Submentalplasty or Neck Lift

+1

There are several things I can tell from the picture you have provided (lateral and oblique views would also really help. First, you have the noticeable banding of the platysma. Next is the submental fullness. I understand that you say it's fat but it may be digastric muscle fullness and this can only be determined with an exam. Next, is the excess skin. And finally you have jowling, mild, but jowling just the same.

So here are your options from easiest and cheapest with the least results to hitting it out of the park. A submentalplasty can improve the banding and the submental fat or digastric muscle fullness. But the excess skin and jowling will still be present and therefore the result will be just okay.

A neck lift will do the above but remove the excess skin giving you a good, rejuvenated look. It won't address the jowling. Only a facelift will remove the jowling, the skin and the submental issues giving you a fantastic, youthful appearance.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Options exist.

+1

When discussing neck rejuvenation, there are usually several options. The difficult part is the terminology that is used may differ by surgeons. Generally speaking, a facelift with necklift will provide the best outcomes in neck contouring. However, lesser involved procedures may also provide a good result. I would recommend several consults until you are satisfied that you understand the terminology and what each option will provide. Best of luck!

Dean Fardo, MD

A Necklift will do more to reduce the wrinkles under your neck.

+1

Since you have very little fat under your chin, but a lot of loose skin, I think the necklift would be best for you. The lesser operation might, in fact, make the skin bunch up more under your neck.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Submentoplasty or Neck Lift for fat and sagging under chin?

+1

On the photograph submitted you demonstrate some sub mental fat but the main deformity is the pillars of your neck muscle (platysma) associated with central facial descent which are visible despite your cocking your neck up (which would normally smooth milder deformities).

The best approach here would be a facelift combined with a neck lift. The results would be superior to anything else.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS