Laser Treatment for Crepey Neck Skin?

I am 57 yrs. old with a thin build. I don't have excess fat on my neck but do have what I refer to as 'crepey' skin in the center.

Can this skin be tightened via a laser procedure, or am I doomed to undergo some type of invasive procedure to improve the appearance? (I don't have a sagging jaw line, or jowls so am not considering a mini facelift.) Thanks!

Neck rejuvenation

+2

Lasers for skin tightening will never replace surgery. But, for the right person, they can improve skin quality and delay the ned for surgery. In fact, lasers can sometimes enhance the result of surgery by making the surface of the skin smoother and more youthful. In my practice it is not uncommon for me to include some laser and skin care services before and after surgery to help improve the quality of the skin.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck skin

+2

Alot of the lasers for skin tightening are not great. If you wnat bout a 20-30% improvement then this may be right for you.

Laser (or other wavelength energy) treatment vs. necklift

+2

Lynn13

There is no such thing as laser or non-surgical neck lift, even though there are many claims. In my practice we have available a full range of laser resurfacing, non-ablative skin tightening, HA fillers, etc. in addition to standard and short-scar or limited facelifts. We offer specific procedures to patients based on each patient's needs or wants. Your age alone is not a determinate of what procedure will give you the best result.

We recommend neck lift for 3-dimensional improvement of facial and neck aging changes (loose skin, jowling, poor jawline definition, under-chin bands or folds, etc.). In your post, it does not sound like these are your issues, but I suspect you would be surprised that the procedure is less onerous than you imply.

We recommend non-surgical skin tightening for textural skin changes. Treatment of surface looseness can improve your appearance. Crepey skin is in this category. A series of laser and intense-pulsed light treatments, and periodic maintenance treatments, can give moderate improvement.

Both types of procedures may be useful for some patients. They do not achieve the same kinds of results: they can be complimentary. I suggest you seek other in-person consultations. The education should help you choose.

PS: Allow me to clarify one point. A "mini facelift" is a procedure to improve the cheeks without much done for the neck. A surgical neck treatment would either be a neck-lift (alone) or a part of a standard facelift.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift

+1
It is possible that you may be a candidate for what I have termed, "The Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift:" It is a minimally invasive procedure.

Cervicofacial Liposculpture is first employed to contour the unfavorable fatty changes seen in the face and neck as time passes by, such as the ‘Turkey neck’ and ‘double chin’.

Careful attention is then turned to tightening the neck muscles and eliminating neck bands. Finally, I employ laser technology to ‘resurface’ the underside of the neck skin, thereby ‘shrinkwrapping’ the skin of the neck restoring a youthful contour.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon will help determine which procedures will provide the best results for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers Vs. Neck Lift & Facelift

+1

It’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation without pictures or a physical examination.  A large variety of lasers have been utilized to re-surface skin.  When fine wrinkles and hyper pigmentation are present, these lasers can be very effective. Unfortunately when skin sag and looseness are present lasers are often minimally effective.

Under these circumstances more aggressive surgical procedures may be necessary.  These may include neck lift and combination neck lift facelift procedures.

It’s important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area.  This surgeon should be able to recommend an appropriate procedure for your problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Creeping neck skin

+1

The modality to be used to im-prove neck contour  is based on the physical exam. Non-invasive therapies are only useful for minor corrections (Laser, ulthera etc..).Lipo alone is useful in patients who has isolated superficial neck fat and good skin tone.  Skin only incision are not useful because skin is elastic and will only relax over time. Any excess skin will have to be removed but that is only half the solution. More often than not, the underlying structure (muscle, deep and superficial fat) need to be tightened, some removed and repositioned. This type of lift tightens the neck muscle (platysma) if they are loose or splayed. During this procedure a 3cm incision is made just behind the chin crease and the muscle in the neck is accessed and tightened with sutures in way a corset would be tightened. Chin implant and liposuction can be done through this same incision. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a treatment plan specific to your needs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Crepey Neck Solutions

+1

Laser treatments for concerns such as this “can” offer improvement depending on a variety of factors.  If your skin has a good tone overall with no other issues outside the crepey skin, it’s possible laser treatment can provide at least some benefit.

If there are other underlying issues then it’s possible you’ll need to consider a surgical treatment option such as a neck lift or lower face lift potentially in conjunction with a laser treatment by an experience surgeon.

The best action for you to take now is to consult with a Board Certified specialist who deals with similar cases and offers a variety of treatment options.  You can then decide which direction will yield the most optimal results for your situation.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

Botox

+1

Botox and improved the  neck banding but has no effect in the crepping skin..   Fraxional Laser and a good skin care will improved the looks of the skin in the neck

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Creepy Neck Skin

+1

There are 3 options:

1. Non-invasive options such as the Declotage system from Obagi helps a little
  2. Fractionated laser resurfacing
  3. Neck and face lift

Most 57 year old thin women are excellent candidates for surgery and you are able to produce some absolutely beautiful results. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepey Skin in the Neck

+1

Crepey neck skin can be a challenge to correct.  Diagnosis is the key here.  Some common examples are:

• Sundamaged skin will sometimes respond inadquetely to a face/neck lift alone.  The lift can help improve the neck but not completely.  Since the neck skin is delicate, resurfacing procedures must be done with caution and by an experienced LASER physician
  • Reactive crepey skin can sometimes be seen as a connection between the muscle in the neck and the skin.  A neck lift can correct this problem 
  • Excessive skin in the neck can be improved with a face/neck lift especially if resultant from weight loss

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon