Laser Treatment for Crepey Neck Skin?

I am 57 yrs. old with a thin build. I don't have excess fat on my neck but do have what I refer to as 'crepey' skin in the center.

Can this skin be tightened via a laser procedure, or am I doomed to undergo some type of invasive procedure to improve the appearance? (I don't have a sagging jaw line, or jowls so am not considering a mini facelift.) Thanks!

Neck rejuvenation

Lasers for skin tightening will never replace surgery. But, for the right person, they can improve skin quality and delay the ned for surgery. In fact, lasers can sometimes enhance the result of surgery by making the surface of the skin smoother and more youthful. In my practice it is not uncommon for me to include some laser and skin care services before and after surgery to help improve the quality of the skin.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck skin

Alot of the lasers for skin tightening are not great. If you wnat bout a 20-30% improvement then this may be right for you.

Laser (or other wavelength energy) treatment vs. necklift

There is no such thing as laser or non-surgical neck lift, even though there are many claims. In my practice we have available a full range of laser resurfacing, non-ablative skin tightening, HA fillers, etc. in addition to standard and short-scar or limited facelifts. We offer specific procedures to patients based on each patient's needs or wants. Your age alone is not a determinate of what procedure will give you the best result.

We recommend neck lift for 3-dimensional improvement of facial and neck aging changes (loose skin, jowling, poor jawline definition, under-chin bands or folds, etc.). In your post, it does not sound like these are your issues, but I suspect you would be surprised that the procedure is less onerous than you imply.

We recommend non-surgical skin tightening for textural skin changes. Treatment of surface looseness can improve your appearance. Crepey skin is in this category. A series of laser and intense-pulsed light treatments, and periodic maintenance treatments, can give moderate improvement.

Both types of procedures may be useful for some patients. They do not achieve the same kinds of results: they can be complimentary. I suggest you seek other in-person consultations. The education should help you choose.

PS: Allow me to clarify one point. A "mini facelift" is a procedure to improve the cheeks without much done for the neck. A surgical neck treatment would either be a neck-lift (alone) or a part of a standard facelift.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Neck Treatment Options

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. During the consultation, the doctor should assess your face and neck and be able to present the treatment options that are specific to you. Deka Laser resurfacing on light mode can help if there is significant sun damage and superficial fine lines. Not everyone is a good candidate for Laser treatments, however there are other options that might be worth considering. Ulthera is a non-invasive treatment that helps to tighten the face and/or neck by using ultrasound to stimulate collagen at a very deep level under the skins surface. After a consultation, you will know exactly what it is that you are a candidate for which will make exploring your options much easier.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Laser treatment for neck laxity

Laser treatments are not good option for neck skin laxity. They improve the quality of superficial skin but not the overall laxity of skin. Your best option at this age is a minimally invasive lower face and neck lift to have a long lasting results. This can be performed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Lasers are not very effective for tightening neck skin.

We have been using what I consider to the be the best skin tightening laser available, the Active FX/Deep Fx laser,  for 7 years now. While it is very effective around the eyes and mouth, the settings have to be turned down very low to safely use on the neck, otherwise scarring can result. It can be used on the neck but the tightening at low power setting is minimal. You may look into one of the RF tightening systems but most patients do not get long term results from those devices.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepey neck skin or excess neck skin

Nonsurgical treatments for crepey neck skin work very well.  They usually involve a combination of resurfacing techniques, tightening procedures, and a touch of patience.  Treating the neck with a fractionated CO2 laser followed by using a tightening cream works well.  The laser may have to be repeated a second time about 6-12 months later to maximize the result.  In our practice, combining the laser treatment with volumizers such as Perlane, Radiesse, or Voluma in the area in front of the ear creates a nice lifted appearance.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift or laser for crepey neck skin?

It all depends on how much laxity you have in your skin and how much tightening you are looking for. For a dramatic result, hands down, a combination of a neck lift with selective fat grafting and resurfacing will give you the best result.  If you are in no mood to have surgery, and are only looking for a mild change, a laser treatment with one of several tightening technologies may buy you some time until you may be ready to  commit to a more invasive procedure.

Joseph Shvidler, MD
Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift

It is possible that you may be a candidate for what I have termed, "The Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift:" It is a minimally invasive procedure.

Cervicofacial Liposculpture is first employed to contour the unfavorable fatty changes seen in the face and neck as time passes by, such as the ‘Turkey neck’ and ‘double chin’.

Careful attention is then turned to tightening the neck muscles and eliminating neck bands. Finally, I employ laser technology to ‘resurface’ the underside of the neck skin, thereby ‘shrinkwrapping’ the skin of the neck restoring a youthful contour.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon will help determine which procedures will provide the best results for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers Vs. Neck Lift & Facelift

It’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation without pictures or a physical examination.  A large variety of lasers have been utilized to re-surface skin.  When fine wrinkles and hyper pigmentation are present, these lasers can be very effective. Unfortunately when skin sag and looseness are present lasers are often minimally effective.

Under these circumstances more aggressive surgical procedures may be necessary.  These may include neck lift and combination neck lift facelift procedures.

It’s important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area.  This surgeon should be able to recommend an appropriate procedure for your problem.