With female rhinoplasty, it seems that a lot of looks can be attractive. I've seen girls considered attractive who either have rounded noses, sharp noses, or generally everything in between. With males though, it seems there's much more a 'make or break' thing going on. I rarely see a male with a rounded, chubby nose who'd be considered 'facially-attractive', where as I think a male with a more shaped, structured nose gives a look of attractiveness, confidence, and intelligence. Do you agree that this is usually one of the good reasons for males to have rhinoplasty, if they have a shapeless nose?
What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?
Doctor Answers 33
Promoted Local Answer
1) A straight, strong profile
2) A refined and proportionate nasal tip
It is always helpful to get photos and have computer imaging during your consultation so that you can see what is an expected result and clarify expectations.
What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?
I have a definite philosophy about male noses.
- I like a strong nose, straight dorsum or a slight hump.
- Male noses ususlly have thicker skin in the tip and generally cannot and should not look as delicate as a female nose.
- I try to increase tip definition with cartilage grafts.
- A male nose can be a bit larger than a female nose and still look good.
- The result should look as natural as possible, not have an operaated look.
- I have given you a link to a good example.
You might also like...
Male Rhinoplasty Can Produce a Natural Result
In order for the nose to look natural, it must be adhere to certain proportions and be in balance with the patient's overal facial features.
In general, most men prefer to have a nose that has the following features:
- Straight or slightly covex bridge line when viewed from the side. The more "scooped" the bridge is, the more it feminizes the profile
- Angle of rotation (amount that the nose is turned up) close to 90 degrees. A nose that is rotated less than 90 degrees will look droopy or elongated. A nose that is rotate more than 90-95 degrees in a male makes the nose look too upturned, short, or feminzed
- Defined tip but not narrow or pinched. The more narrow a tip is the more feminine the appearance. Also, an overly narrow or pinched tip will give the nose an "operated" look.
A good rhinoplasty surgeon will guide you as to what looks good, but at the same should not dictate what is done. In the end, the general features of the nose are something that the patient should decide what looks the best.
To get a better understanding of how your nose might look, your prospective surgeon should be able to show you computer generated images that simulate the proposed changes to your nose. Recently, 3D imaging has become available that can allow you to see how your nose might look from any angle.
The key to good rhinoplasty results is that the nose is proportional to the surrounding facial structures. Therefore, it follows that a male nose is usually stronger and more defined. However, all male noses are not alike, just as ladies are not the same. One of the tremendous challenges of this surgery is the fact that there is so much variation.
What makes a nose attractive ?
There are many factors that go into an attractive nose and you should discuss your desires with your surgeon in detail. Sometimes I have patients bring in photos of what they think they might like and we use them as a talking point.
In general, most people are looking for improved symmetry with reduction of a "bump" on the bridge and better definition of the tip and overall nose. Often there may be limitations based on your breathing and this too should be discussed with your surgeon.
Male rhinoplasty aesthetics
Male and female noses are different; but not one size fits all
As a general rule, my patients know that their results are my priority but I look to create a nose that is in proportion with the facial features and surrounding facial structures.
A male nose is typically stronger and defined in shape - larger than a female, however each patient is individual and with rhinoplasty, one size does not fit all.
Attractiveness in Male and Female Noses
These differences are well known, well studied, and are true across many different people, races and ethnicities.
A male nose is supposed to be straight; a female nose is supposed to be curved like a ski slope.
A male nose is supposed to take off at a right angle from the lip; a female nose is supposed to point slightly upwards.
Larger noses are more acceptable in men; smaller noses in women.
In general, I find that men actually can be attractive with more variation in nasal shape, while women are often more conscious of having a feminine nose.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.