What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?

With female rhinoplasty, it seems that a lot of looks can be attractive. I've seen girls considered attractive who either have rounded noses, sharp noses, or generally everything in between. With males though, it seems there's much more a 'make or break' thing going on. I rarely see a male with a rounded, chubby nose who'd be considered 'facially-attractive', where as I think a male with a more shaped, structured nose gives a look of attractiveness, confidence, and intelligence. Do you agree that this is usually one of the good reasons for males to have rhinoplasty, if they have a shapeless nose?

Male rhinoplasty

+3
You have made some very good observations with regards to male and female noses. I have found that no two individuals, male or female, will necessarily look good with the same nose. The noses that you have found to be attractive in females are likely proportionate to the face and follow some basic parameters and measurements that we generally follow to help us with our judgment during rhinoplasty. The variations in rhinoplasty you have noticed in females are in large part related to some of the art that is required to create the subtle changes that make the nose look good. What you see in male noses are exactly as you have interpreted them. Male noses help convey confidence and attractiveness when they are strong, full, and well defined.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?

+2

I have a definite philosophy about male noses. 

• I like a strong nose, straight dorsum or a slight hump.
  • Male noses ususlly have thicker skin in the tip and generally cannot and should not look as delicate as a female nose.
  • I try to increase tip definition with cartilage grafts.
  • A male nose can be a bit larger than a female nose and still look good. 
  • The result should look as natural as possible, not have an operaated look.
  • I have given you a link to a good example.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male Rhinoplasty Can Produce a Natural Result

+2

In order for the nose to look natural, it must be adhere to certain proportions and be in balance with the patient's overal facial features.

In general, most men prefer to have a nose that has the following features:

• Straight or slightly covex bridge line when viewed from the side. The more "scooped" the bridge is, the more it feminizes the profile
  • Angle of rotation (amount that the nose is turned up) close to 90 degrees. A nose that is rotated less than 90 degrees will look droopy or elongated. A nose that is rotate more than 90-95 degrees in a male makes the nose look too upturned, short, or feminzed
  • Defined tip but not narrow or pinched. The more narrow a tip is the more feminine the appearance. Also, an overly narrow or pinched tip will give the nose an "operated" look.

A good rhinoplasty surgeon will guide you as to what looks good, but at the same should not dictate what is done. In the end, the general features of the nose are something that the patient should decide what looks the best.

To get a better understanding of how your nose might look, your prospective surgeon should be able to show you computer generated images that simulate the proposed changes to your nose. Recently, 3D imaging has become available that can allow you to see how your nose might look from any angle.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

What makes a nose attractive ?

+2

There are many factors that go into an attractive nose and you should discuss your desires with your surgeon in detail. Sometimes I have patients bring in photos of what they think they might like and we use them as a talking point.

In general, most people are looking for improved symmetry with reduction of a "bump" on the bridge and better definition of the tip and overall nose. Often there may be limitations based on your breathing and this too should be discussed with your surgeon.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Facially attractive male nose

+1
Male noses should be manly, therefore they should be strong with definition and bridge and tip support.
A too small nose is feminine looking.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Attractive Male Nose

+1
Typically, an attractive male nose has striking definition and lacks unsightly humps, bumps, and exaggerated width. It is important to remember, however, that there is no universal “male nose.” Each rhinoplasty procedure must be custom designed to ensure that the new nose fits well with the rest of the facial features, is proportionate in size, and is well aligned. Some surgeons have computer imaging technology available at their office through which they can show you a basic guide of what to expect from your rhinoplasty and through which you can work together to construct a nose to your liking. 

Sam Rizk, MD

What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?

+1
An attractive male nose has a slightly straighter bridge, more projection and narrower angle between the nose and the lip than a female nose. It is all about creating a nose that looks pleasing, masculine and it is harmony with the rest of the face.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Male nasal shape - the 'ideal' is in the eye of the beholder

+1
A nice looking nose compliments the structure of the rest of the face. A male nose with adequate projection, a strong nasal dorsum and adequate width that compliments the male facial features is 'ideal'.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

A Male nose should Simply look Masculine...

+1
There is a simple rule to doing a male's nose - keep it looking like a male's nose. Unfortunately there are many pictures out there that show post operative male rhinoplasty patients who's noses have been feminized - slightly scoopy and too small for the face. Different techniques are needed when performing a male rhinoplasty. The main goal is for the bridge to come straight down to the tip with no curvature. The tip should project nicely, but not be over rotated. It should be narrowed some to match the face, but not pinched. As long as the nose remains masculine and blends nicely with the rest of the face it will be an attractive male nose.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male Rhinoplasty

+1
Whether we are dealing with male or female rhinoplasty, it is clear that there is no "one perfect nose" to fit every patient.  We do help guide our patients through this process very carefully.

In my initial consultation, I will interview the patient extensively initially making a priority list of what the patient feels may be adjusted.  We use a very simple technique with a mirror and pointer during that interview.  At times, I will ask patients to bring photographs of themselves that demonstrate characteristics they like/dislike to help the discussion.  

After the patient has fully expressed their goals, I complete a thorough history and physical examination considering the patient history, ethnicity, height, weight, skin type, facial structure, and personality.  We even consider the patient's current and most desirable professional and personal aspirations in the body of our medical note.

Next, I will utilize a skin pencil and 3 way mirror to walk through an explanation of the examination and briefly describe the rationale for the recommended surgical approaches.

These steps insure that we have done a great job with MY MOST IMPORTANT function which is listening to my patients and communicating the goals, likely outcomes, and limitations of the rhinoplasty.

Reviewing past before and after photos can also be very reassuring for the patients.  They may even benefit from contacting a past patient for a personal discussion.

I hope that helps answer a very personalized question for you.
Best of Luck!

Dr. Hobgood
Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon