What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?

With female rhinoplasty, it seems that a lot of looks can be attractive. I've seen girls considered attractive who either have rounded noses, sharp noses, or generally everything in between. With males though, it seems there's much more a 'make or break' thing going on. I rarely see a male with a rounded, chubby nose who'd be considered 'facially-attractive', where as I think a male with a more shaped, structured nose gives a look of attractiveness, confidence, and intelligence. Do you agree that this is usually one of the good reasons for males to have rhinoplasty, if they have a shapeless nose?

What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?

I have a definite philosophy about male noses. 

• I like a strong nose, straight dorsum or a slight hump.
  • Male noses ususlly have thicker skin in the tip and generally cannot and should not look as delicate as a female nose.
  • I try to increase tip definition with cartilage grafts.
  • A male nose can be a bit larger than a female nose and still look good. 
  • The result should look as natural as possible, not have an operaated look.
  • I have given you a link to a good example.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male rhinoplasty

You have made some very good observations with regards to male and female noses. I have found that no two individuals, male or female, will necessarily look good with the same nose. The noses that you have found to be attractive in females are likely proportionate to the face and follow some basic parameters and measurements that we generally follow to help us with our judgment during rhinoplasty. The variations in rhinoplasty you have noticed in females are in large part related to some of the art that is required to create the subtle changes that make the nose look good. What you see in male noses are exactly as you have interpreted them. Male noses help convey confidence and attractiveness when they are strong, full, and well defined.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a surgery of high expectations.

The male rhinoplasty is in some ways unique from the female rhinoplasty.  This is a operation of extreme detail and considerations both before and as one is healing. 

In both sexes I believe the goal has been for my patients a balanced look with the rest of the facial features, and to not look like a 'rhinoplasty' was done.  Over the years, I have found that in males the expectations, and associated anxiety of not meeting those goals can be a bit higher.

Part of the success in the procedure, and reaching the desired aesthetic improvement for either males or females,  is being clear on ones goals, feeling assured that your chosen surgeon 'gets it' and be patient as you are healing- especially during the first several months.

Sergio Pasquale Maggi, MD, FACS

Male Rhinoplasty Can Produce a Natural Result

In order for the nose to look natural, it must be adhere to certain proportions and be in balance with the patient's overal facial features.

In general, most men prefer to have a nose that has the following features:

• Straight or slightly covex bridge line when viewed from the side. The more "scooped" the bridge is, the more it feminizes the profile
  • Angle of rotation (amount that the nose is turned up) close to 90 degrees. A nose that is rotated less than 90 degrees will look droopy or elongated. A nose that is rotate more than 90-95 degrees in a male makes the nose look too upturned, short, or feminzed
  • Defined tip but not narrow or pinched. The more narrow a tip is the more feminine the appearance. Also, an overly narrow or pinched tip will give the nose an "operated" look.

A good rhinoplasty surgeon will guide you as to what looks good, but at the same should not dictate what is done. In the end, the general features of the nose are something that the patient should decide what looks the best.

To get a better understanding of how your nose might look, your prospective surgeon should be able to show you computer generated images that simulate the proposed changes to your nose. Recently, 3D imaging has become available that can allow you to see how your nose might look from any angle.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male Nose

The key to good rhinoplasty results is that the nose is proportional to the surrounding facial structures. Therefore, it follows that a male nose is usually stronger and more defined. However, all male noses are not alike, just as ladies are not the same. One of the tremendous challenges of this surgery is the fact that there is so much variation.

What makes a nose attractive ?

There are many factors that go into an attractive nose and you should discuss your desires with your surgeon in detail. Sometimes I have patients bring in photos of what they think they might like and we use them as a talking point.

In general, most people are looking for improved symmetry with reduction of a "bump" on the bridge and better definition of the tip and overall nose. Often there may be limitations based on your breathing and this too should be discussed with your surgeon.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Male Rhinoplasty

I think you are correct, at least for some patients. There is no question that the ideal aesthetic for a male patient differs from that of a female patient. A stronger nose, higher bridge, less pronounced supertip break...each of these contribute to an attractive male face. There is still individual variation in terms of preference to some degree. 

Patrick J. Byrne, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male rhinoplasty aesthetics

Male aesthetics are as varied as female. Some men/women prefer or don't mind a very angular appearing nose, or even one with a significant dorsal hump. As with female rhinoplasty, it is important to figure out your aesthetic and what would fit best with your other facial characteristics in order to create a balanced result. Common contrasts with females are a slightly larger and stronger final result that is a bit more angular and with fewer curves and breaks; in short it is a less delicate or more 'masculine' appearance.

Bryan Correa, MD

Male nose

Every nose needs to be different because every face is different. You dont want a surgeon that puts the same nose on every patient. Scooped noses or ski slopes are not great outcome although some people request them They are very feminine and do not look good on men. The nasal proportions are very important and an aesthetic eye is even more important to get a great result. The size of the nose depends on the size of the face and the height of the person you are operating on

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Male and female noses are different; but not one size fits all

You are correct, there are defined differences with male and female nose structures; these should be taken into consideration by a plastic surgeon when operating.
As a general rule, my patients know that their results are my priority but I look to create a nose that is in proportion with the facial features and surrounding facial structures. 
A male nose is typically stronger and defined in shape - larger than a female, however each patient is individual and with rhinoplasty, one size does not fit all.