Should I Wait for Recent Scar to Heal Before Getting Fraxel Laser?

I am a 30 year old male with olive skin. I was in a car accident 4 weeks ago and have been left with a deep one inch scar that required 3 inner stiches and 6 outer. Its in a very prominent place on my forehead (right above the eyebrows) and its not looking great as its healing.

I was wondering if I should pursue Fraxel repair (or Fraxel restore) now, or whether I should wait until its healed. This is very important to me, please help. Thanks.

Fraxel restore for Recent Traumatic Scar

+2

Hi Slip,

Sorry to hear about your accident. The good news is that you can start your Fraxel restore series of treatments now. Have them every 3 weeks until it is diffcult to see your scar. More good news is that forehead scars usually respond very well to Fraxel restore.

Good luck, be well, and please let us know how it goes.

Dr. P

Fraxel restore treatment for scars

+1

I think you are best off with the Fraxel restore for this new scar considering your darker skin type. I usually recommend starting treatment  of the scar about 4 to 6 weeks after stitch removal. I hope this helps you.

Elizabeth Piantanida, MD
Colorado Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Seek the opinion of an experienced physician

+1

Some patients undergo immediate Fraxel after surgical reconstruction when the stitches come out and other wait for two or more months. It would be wise for you to seek consultation with a physician who is experienced in scar revision soon.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fraxel great for traumatic scars

+1

I think you would see excellent results from either the Fraxel restore or Repair. If you are olive skinned, my inclination is to recomment the Fraxel restore as I feel it would have less of a chance of causing hyperpigmentation after (although the risk is small with both). Sometimes I also use the pulsed dye laser in the same session as the Fraxel to further enhance scar improvement.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist