How Many Fraxel Laser Treatments is Required to Fix Dark Circles?

I am 50 and have very dark undereye circles. It is a family trait. I wondered if Fraxel laser treatment would be effective in getting rid of the undereye circles? Makeup only partially covers the darkness and I now have crows feet developing as well.

How many treatments would be required and is it safe around my eyes?

Dark Circles Won't Go Away with Fraxel

+1

Dark circles will not be significantly improved by Fraxel.  Fraxel will take away the wrinkles and pigmentation on the surface but, the best way to treat dark circles would be to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon about a blepharoplasty or fillers.  You can then go over your options and he can refer you to an aesthetitian for advice on make-up solutions for under eye problems.

"Dr.D"

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark circles under the eyes are hard to treat

+1

Fraxel usually isn't effective in treating dark circles under the eyes.  A photo would be very useful in helping diagnose what the cause of your circles are.  Very rarely are they due to superficial pigmentation that can be treated by the Fraxel.  See an expert to determine if fillers or surgery may be appropriate.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel for dark circles under the eyes

+1

Jnee,

Fraxel laser treatments work well to diminish wrinkles around the eyes and tone the skin but will not address the dark circles in a significant way.

Dark circles under the eyes are caused by a few factors and each have to be addressed to give you improvement

1. Genetic causes: excess of pigment in area. Minimal improvement with Fraxel. Makeup is more effective.
  2. Volume loss under the eyes creates a shadow worsening the appearance of the dark circles. Filling in those valleys with fillers i.e. Sculptra, fat, Juvederm can help.
  3. Puffiness lower eyelids creates shadows. Reducing puffiness via a lower Blepharoplasty will help diminish the appearance of the circles caused by these shadows.

In summary, if your main goal is to use Fraxel to treat the dark circles under your eyes, then you will be disappointed with the results. If you are looking for smoother skin, less wrinkles around the eyes with a secondary benefit of some improvement in the dark circles. If you also have puffiness and or volume loss under the eyes, smoothing that out along with Fraxel can further assist you in treating the circles.

Good luck!

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon