Is It Possible to Reduce Ears from 7cm to 5.5cm?

Hi, I currently have big 7 cm ears which are kind of deformed as well cause they don't have the proper fold. I have a small face so they just look ridiculous on me and they stick out on top as well so I can't have short hair on the sides.

I want them reduced to about 5.5 cm each since I have a small face. Is that is realistic goal? How long will the recovery take and when will I be able to resume my regular activities? Cost-wise, I was thinking somewhere around $5K to $7K?

Reducing ears from 7cm to 5.5cm

+1

Second question on this panel - Long time, no ear, Jose (just kidding...)

Normally, our inner cartilage rim starts as a Y (superior and inferior crus) which merge into the anti helix. The reason why your ears APPEAR big is that your SUPERIOR CRUS of the ear cartilage is flat making that area look larger than its is.

You do not have Presidential ears and cutting a wedge of ear to make them smaller is NOT the answer.

You would do better with creation of the Superior Crus by placement of a few stitches that would curve the cartilage forward. This can be done under local anesthesia. Depending on your job, you could go to word in 3-4 days. I would prefer you did not engage in any sports activities for at least 4-6 weeks to allow scar tissue to stabilize the repair.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Otoplasty Surgery can correct ears that stick out too far.

+1

There are no good procedures for reducing the vertical height of your ears.

If they stick out too far, Otolplasty Surgery will bring them closer to your head so they're less noticeable, and won't stick out as much.

I see you have loss of your anti-helical fold which is easily restored with Otoplasty Surgery.

Consult a board-certified facial plastic surgeon experienced in this procedure.

I've attached a link to my Otoplasty photos for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great candidate for Otoplasty

+1

You are really a great candidate for ear shaping surgery or Otoplasty.

A few things:

1) Make sure you go to someone who has good experience with this. This is essential to achieve a natural result.

2) Re-creating the fold in the ear is done with Mustarde sutures and is usually very reliable.

3) Shorten the length of the ear is also achieve able. This requires a bit of finesse and I do this with a "star-plasty" of the lobe. This allows the long lobe (bottom of your ear) to be shortened with minimal scarring and a more natural shape.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Customized Otoplasty (ear reshaping)

+1

Yes , the size of the ear can be reduced in size. It is a procedure performed on outpatient basis and the bandage is worn for about 1 day. There is relativley little pain associated with this procedure. One of my posted photos had this very same procedure along with rhinoplasty and mentoplasty.

Julian Henley, MD
New Haven Facial Plastic Surgeon