Ear Surgery to Reduce Earlobe Size?

I have large ears and earlobes. I know the ear pinning would take care of most of the protrusion problem, and thus make my ears look smaller. But is anything done with the earlobes? Also, if this is possible, how much would it cost?

Reducing the size of earlobes

+2

Large earlobes are not fixed by a standard otoplasty. Some particular proceedure must be specifically designed to address this problem. Earlobe size can be reduced and made more pleasing aesthetically but unlike otoplasty the scars cannot always be hidden. The proceedure is almost always done under local anesthesia in under 1 hour and cost is about  2000$

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Setback Otoplasty & Earlobe Reduction: $3500-$4500

+1

It’s not unusual for patients with prominent ears to also have enlarged saggy ear lobes.  Under these circumstances setback otoplasty can be performed in combination with ear lobe reduction surgery.

When these procedures are combined, a small amount of ear cartilage is removed from the lower ear to prevent protrusion of the ear lobe.  A wedge of ear lobe is then removed to reduce the size of the ear lobule.  The scars are initially noticeable, but gradually fade with time.

When setback otoplasty is combined with ear lobe reduction the cost is typically between $3500 and $4500.  Satisfaction rates are high with this procedure and complication rates are low.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Enlarged ear lobes can either be genetic or the result of aging.

+1

It is possible to reduce the size of earlobes under local anesthesia.  The healing time is 1 week.  The scar heals extremely well and fades over a number a months.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Earlobe Reductions in an Otoplasty Can Be Important

+1

I am currently writing a chapter entitled Balanced Otoplasty for a book on Otoplasty.  I can say that the earlobe is something that is unfortunately oftentimes completely forgotten.  Since the upper and mid poles of the ear are set back (that is where the cartilage is), the lobe can actually stick out even farther and look off especially if the upper and mid poles are tucked too far back, as actually I see some of the results on this Web site indicate.  

there are several ways to reduce the earlobe without scarring placed in the front of the ear.  if it is just protruding, tacking the bottom portion of the cartilage known as the cauda helicis back to the conchal bowl is the best way in most cases because it is quite reliable and predictable. however, also, you can do what is known as a V-Y advancement that can reduce the physical soft tissue and further tack the ear back.  Beyond that, a starplasty would unfortunately leave some incisions on the front side of the lobe, something that I always try to avoid and would only perform in aging earlobes with perhaps a torn earlobe and with proper consent.

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Youthful Ear Lobes by Ear Lobe Reduction

+1

Elongated ear lobes  are frequently associated with aging.  Treatment of the aged ear lobe is a relatively straight forward office procedure performed using a local injection anesthetic.  The cost will vary among clinics and experience for our office the charge is $500.  For those individuals who also have prominent ears and are considering undergoing otoplasty it is very common for the ear lobe to be flared or rotated forward almost lying horizontal rather than hanging vertical.  This can give the ear a more prominent appearance in addition to many other factors.   When otoplasty is performed it is common to remove a small piece of cartilage which corrects this deformity.

Christopher Tolan, MD
Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Reduce Ear and Earlobe Size?

+1

Yes, depending upon the particulars of your ear problems there are a number of techniques for improving the shape and size of your ears and earlobes

The cost will vary widely depending upon what otoplasty, earlobe or ear reconstruction procedure is being done. 

Therefore a consultation is needed so that after evaluation a discussion of your options can be conducted.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Earlobe Reduction to Reduce Size of Ears

+1

Earlobe surgery is what is necessary to reduce the size of the ear lobes. Otoplasty is a separate procedure that is performed to set the ears backwards.   An earlobe reduction can be performed alone or as a combined procedure, something I commonly perform with facelift surgery.  When performed alone I do this in the office under local anesthesia.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty can reduce the ear lobe and ear size

+1

Reshaping the ear can improve the appearance of the ear.  There are many good techniques to reduce ear lobe size or reduce the size of the ear. However , after successful repositioning of the ear and recreation of the natural curves of the ear, the ear lobe may be in balance with the rest of the ear and not require reduction.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty and Earlobe Reduction

+1

Otoplasty can be combined with an earlobe reduction at the time of surgery or thereafter in clinic. Earlobe reduction is an outpatient procedure and is often performed in the office. Scars should be hidden along the preauricular skin crease.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Yes

+1

Discuss this with the surgeon performing the otoplasty.  Depending on the configuration of the lobe, there are several options to reduce size, and it can be done at time of otoplasty- this is an ideal time to address it.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD