Correcting Large and Asymmetrical Earlobes?

Dear Doctor:

I am a 48 year old female. I believe that my earlobes are too large and have gotten larger since I aged. Also, I feel one ear looks lower on my face than the other. Can this be corrected?

Large, Asymmetric Earlobes Can Be Corrected Via Local Anesthesia in Most Cases

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to develop large ear lobes as a result of the aging process.  In many cases, this process may be asymmetric.  These ear lobe changes can adversely impact facial aesthetics and as a result patients frequently request surgical correction.  This deformity is accentuated by the presence of jewelry which constantly draws attention to the area.

In most cases, correction is performed under local anesthesia.  The procedure involves removing a wedge of ear lobe.  The scars are initially noticeable, but gradually fade with time.

When ear lobe reduction is performed, satisfaction rates are high and complication rates are low.  If you’re considering this procedure, consultations with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan thats appropriate for you.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Earlobes can be Corrected

+1

Asymmetric or large earlobes can be corrected.  

A variety of techniques are available to treat earlobe concerns depending on the nature and extent of the earlobe deformity or asymmetry.  

These corrective procedures are done under local anesthesia in the office, and include triangular and semicircular excisons of earlobe tissues.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Earlobe reduction

+1

Earlobes can be bothersome for a number of reasons and size is one of them. The size issue is easy to address via a reduction. The placement of the lobule on the head is a bit harder, but may be "fix-able" as well. See a good surgeon and get an opinion.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe correction.

+1

Correcting ear lobes is a pretty common procedure and can really be tailored to the specific problem: too big, too fatty, torn, slot ear deformity, asymmetry, even undoing the effects of gauges, plugs, and so-called "flesh tunnels" (to some degree).

I do this in the office in our procedure room under local anesthesia (injection of numbing medicine). Piercing can be done about three months later, but care should be taken to avoid re-piercing the ear through any scar from the repair (scar is always weaker tissue). I typically recommend that my patients allow me to re-pierce the ear rather than the kid at the mall. :-)

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Likely

+1

Reducing ear lobe size, repairing torn lobes, and correcting asymmetry is not difficult, and I do them in the office.

Frequently, one ear is attached lower or higher on the head than the other.  This can't be changed.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Earlobe reduction may be performed in the office with local anesthetic.

+1

It's common for your earlobes to elongate with age. I'm not sure why one side is larger than the other, but reduction can be performed with a relatively straightforward in-office procedure. Your stitches will be removed in around a week, and you can re-pierce your ears around 3 mos. following the procedure.

I've attached a photo demonstrating this procedure.

I hope this helps you, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely

+1

Simple answer - absolutely. The exact procedure to be performed will depend on your problem. In some patients, actually adding some bulk to the earlobes is necessary rather than removing skin and subcutaneous tissue. Note as well that earlobes are not the same on both sides - and you can't focus on both at the same time.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Ear lobe surgery for large earlobes

+1

Vivian1,

Ear lobes are often a neglected area in facial cosmetic surgery. Torn or split ear lobes are very common, especially in women. Ear lobes also naturally continue to grow and become larger with age, for both men and women. Plastic surgery for ear lobe rejuvenation may be performed on its own under local anesthesia, or may be combined with other facial plastic surgery, such as face lift, neck lift, eyelid surgery, or rhinoplasty.

Speak with a facial plastic surgeon to evaluate you and determine the best treatment option. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon