Procedure for Ear Reduction and Cost?

I want to make my ears a lot smaller, and I was just wondering how the procedure goes. And if so, how much would it cost?

Smaller ears straightforward

Ears can be made smaller in nearly every aspect. The size of the ear, the size of the earlobe, as well as how much the ear protrudes from the face -- all aspects can be reduced in a straightforward fashion.

The technique used depends upon what exactly you want your ears to look like, and this should be discussed with your plastic surgeon. The important thing is that you want your ears to be SYMMETRIC and NATURAL APPEARING after the procedure, and if you go to someone who has ample experience in otoplasty / ear reduction, you should be very happy once you are healed.

The procedure is outpatient, and typically requires your ears to be bandaged for 2-3 days. A realistic cost is in the $2000-5000 range.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

6535 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21204

Procedure for Ear Reduction and Cost?

Thanks for the question. When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. Best wishes.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Otoplasty in Midwest, US: $3500-$4000

It’s not unusual for patients with prominent ears to describe their ears as large.  When they seek treatment they usually want their ears reduced and made smaller.  In reality, their ears aren’t large, but instead prominent because they protrude from the side of the head.

Under these circumstances patients require a setback otoplasty. This procedure is performed through an incision on the back of the ear.  It involves placing sutures in the back of the ear, which changes the ears contour and brings the ear closer to the side of the head. This ultimately makes the ear look smaller and less prominent.

This procedure is associated with high satisfaction rates and minimal complications.  The procedure typically costs between $3500 and $4000.  Patients considering this procedure should consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Otoplasty and cost

Most otoplasty procedures are performed under local anesthesia, not general anesthesia. There is still a cost for the physicians fee and operating room fee to perform the surgical procedure. Please see  the link below for our price list and photo Gallery

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

There are two techniques to make ears "smaller".

The most common technique used secures the ears closer to the head therefore changing the position of the ear.  The ear is not really made smaller but appears smaller because to as much of the ear can be seen.  I perform this procedure under local anesthesia and the surgery done through an incision on the back of the ear.  The healing time is one week.  The cost of the surgery ranges from $3500-5000.

There are very few patients that actually need their ears to be made "smaller".  In this case I perform a procedure that doesn't change the position of the ear relative to the head but decreases the length of the ear.  To change the length of the ear, the incision needs to be placed on the front of the ear in an inconspicuous area so that it is not seen once healed.  Please make sure you see an ear surgery expert when contemplating this surgery.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

1243 Islington Ave
Toronto, Ontario M8X 1Y9

Ear Reduction Procedure

Surgery begins with an incision just behind the ear, in the natural fold where the ear is joined to the head. The cartilage and skin is molded to create an ideal structure, and in some cases sutures will be applied to secure the new shape in place. Natural healing orients the ear into the desired position, where it will remain. During a consultation, I can carefully examine the structure of the ears and discuss possibilities for correcting the problems. Pricing varies, so it is best to discuss cost during your consultation with a facial plastic surgeon.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

2080 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Ear Reduction Fees

The costs for otoplasty varies significantly around the country. Our cost for otoplasty ranges from $2500 to $5000 + MD Anesthesia Related Costs (if necessary). More expensive cities such as New York or Los Angeles or areas with fewer board certified plastic surgeons may be more expensive.

One way to ensure the lowest possible costs and achieve the highest possible quality is to locate a board certified plastic surgeon who owns his or her own AAAASF nationally accredited center.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Otoplasty surgery, simple goals, but still requires skill and artistry

The procedure for reduction of prominent or large ears is called Otoplasty, while the goal is simple, (make the ears less prominent), the actual technique can require skill and precision.  We make every effort to make the ears less prominent, but natural, not "pinned" to the head.  We also really try to get the top of the ears close, something that is frequently missed during this surgery.

At the time of this answer, Otoplasty in my practice costs 2700$. However, as I'm reading the other posts on Real Self, I may need to increase our fee, because I know we do incredible work with ears!

One reason we are able to keep our costs low is that we do our Otoplasty surgery in the office and this avoids the anesthesia and hospital fee.

Click the link below to view before and after photos of my Otoplasty patients!

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

166 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Costs for ear reduction surgery

Costs for ear reduction surgery for prominent ears can vary tremendously and range from 3-7000 for total charges depending on what needs to be done and on the anesthetic technique.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Otoplasty can reshape the ear

Otoplasty involves using suture and cutting techniques to reshape the ear.  Often this makes the ear appear smaller when in fact no reduction of the ear occurred.  The price varies depending on the precise work needed by generally $3000-$5000 for a bilateral procedure.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

3030 Lawrence Ave E
Toronto, ON M1P2T7