Procedure to Remove a Large Apron of Fat

I'm overweight, but have lost weight going from 400lbs. to 330. I'm 24 years old with good blood pressure, and no diabetes nor other health problems.

The better I get around my ribs, across my chest, and in my arms, the bigger my lower tummy gets. Lower body exercise is getting harder because of this apron of fat hanging. It even changes how I sit.

I want to get rid of it, but it's kind of heavy. How many pounds, or in general, how much can I remove from my body safely? How much would a procedure this large cost?

Procedure to remove apron of fat on tummy

The procedure done to remove the apron of fat that hangs down beyond your abdomen is called a panniculectomy. A panniculectomy leaves a scar across the lowest part of your abdomen. This surgery is often covered by insurance when specific criteria are met, for example how low the apron hangs down.

A panniculectomy is not the same thing as a tummy tuck, which is called an abdominoplasty. With an abdominoplasty, the muscles going down the abdomen are tightened with sutures and the belly button position on the abdomen is moved. This gives a tighter flatter appearance to the abdomen which a panniculectomy does not. Abdominoplasty is a cosmetic procedure and is not ever covered by insurance while a panniculectomy is done for medical reasons and lifestyle improvement so often is a covered procedure.

Relatively speaking, there is actually not that much weight lost with a panniculectomy. But it will feel like a large weight removed to you because of the difference in balance. The lifestyle improvement is life-changing.

If you are a candidate for the procedure, as determined by a plastic surgeon, the procedure is common and safely done.