Procedure to Remove a Large Apron of Fat

I'm overweight, but have lost weight going from 400lbs. to 330. I'm 24 years old with good blood pressure, and no diabetes nor other health problems.

The better I get around my ribs, across my chest, and in my arms, the bigger my lower tummy gets. Lower body exercise is getting harder because of this apron of fat hanging. It even changes how I sit.

I want to get rid of it, but it's kind of heavy. How many pounds, or in general, how much can I remove from my body safely? How much would a procedure this large cost?

+1
To just remove the apron, it sounds like you would benefit from a panniculectomy.  If you want the abdominal wall muscles tightened as well (or if you need them treated such as a hernia) then an abdominoplasty (without or with a hernia repair) could be the surgery for you.  With that much weight loss already I assume you are focused on losing more weight and in the end you may need a lower body lift.  This is a much larger surgery and at 330 lbs you are not ready for that yet.  It may be best to proceed with panniculectomy when cleared medically, then continue with weight loss, wait until the weight is stable for many months and then see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for final recommendations.  Best Wishes.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Panniculectomy versus abdominoplasty vs body lift

+1

Thank you for the question.  There are a variety of body contouring procedures available to improve the appearance of the abdomen and waist after significant weight loss.  These body contouring procedures are not designed to be a weight reduction treatment rather they are designed to improve the appearance of the body part in question.  In general there are three levels of waist contouring procedures from least involved to most involved in terms of cost, down time, and recovery.  These are panniculectomy: removal of just the overhanging skin of the abdomen.  Abdominoplasty: full tightening of the abdominal area including abdominal wall and belly button rejuvenation.  And finally a lower body lift which is an abdominoplasty in the front and a buttock lift in the back.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Best procedure to remove a large apron of fat????????????

+1

Congratulations on losing the weight.  An abdominal pannus can be very debilitating and cause hygiene issues as well as difficulty with ambulation.  So far you have lost 70 pounds and you are continuing to lose weight.  If that is the case, do not have your surgery until you have reached your goal weight.

The other piece of this picture is that you are still morbidly obese at 330 pounds.  I would encourage you to get closer to a normal body weight.  You may be able to reach this with true lifestyle modification, but you may also need some help.  Bariatric surgery has excellent outcomes compared to lifestyle changes alone.  Should you remain in the morbidly obese category, I would encourage you to explore the option of weight loss surgery.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you are still losing weight, it would be best to continue with your regimen until you have reached your maintenance weight.  After your maintenance goal is reached you can schedule a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon for a panniculectomy (removal of excess abdominal apron fat).  Unlike a cosmetic abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) this procedure removes the lower hanging excess of fat and skin and makes it easier to move about and exercise and will help you stay motivated on your healthy lifestyle program.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Panniculectomy to remove excess abdominal apron

+1

I would suggest a panniculectomy.  This procedure removes excess skin and fat of the anterior abdominal wall.  The conditions you describe, I hope, should be covered by most insurance plans; however, your insurance may require you to lose more weight based on your height.  This number is your BMI.  Not having seen your pictures, I would guess your surgical specimen would weigh between 50 and 80 pounds.  For your case, I would suggest this procedure be perfomed in a hospital.  Good luck with your weight loss journey.  Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Weight Loss and Surgery

+1

I always recommend for best results and safety, for the patient to lose as much weight as possible prior to surgery.  Panniculectomy is an option to get rid of the apron of skin/fat you are referring to.

I would also want to get a medical clearance to proceed with surgery from your doctor once you have reached the lowest weight you can.

Best Wishes!

Panniculectomy

+1

It sounds like you need a panniculectomy, but these are plagued by compications from wound healing and seromas. It is always better to lose as much weight first as possible.

Procedure to Remove a Large Apron of Lower Tummy Skin and Fat

+1

Regarding: "Procedure to Remove a Large Apron of Fat  I'm overweight, but have lost weight going from 400lbs. to 330. I'm 24 years old with good blood pressure, and no diabetes nor other health problems.

I want to get rid of it, but it's kind of heavy. How many pounds, or in general, how much can I remove from my body safely? How much would a procedure this large cost?"

Body contouring operations are best done when the patient's BMI is 30 and under, preferably close to 26 and the weight loss has stabilized for at least 6 months. At that time, the cosmetic results would be vastly superior and the incidence of complication associated with these procedures would be lower.

From your articulate description it sounds like you are committed to self-improvement and are hampered by the lower abdominal over hang or apron. It can be removed with a PANNICULECTOMY. The operation is NOT a tummy Tuck but is meant to remove the excess skin overhang to improve comfort, hygiene and activity. The amount of weight of the apron varies significantly and depending on its size, you may need to be monitored in the hospital for a day or two. The cost of the procedure will vary widely geographically.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Removing an Apron of fat

+1

I agree with Dr. Basu.  If you are still losing weight, I would hold off on tummy tuck or body lift.  You want to undergo body contouring procedure when you have lost all the weight that you want to lose and that when your weight has stabilized for at least 3-6 months.  Having said this, if your excess tummy fat gets in the way of exercising, thus hampering your further weight loss, you can get panniculectomy (removing excess lower tummy skin and fat).  Panniculectomy is different from tummy tuck; it does not tighten your fascia/muscle.  Depending on how heavy your fat is, your weight loss will be couple pounds to 10 pounds.  It will probably not be as much as you expect.

Sugene Kim, MD