What Medications Would I Take After Tummy Tuck?

What kinds of pain and/or antibiotics will I be on after my Tummy Tuck surgery? How long will I be on medication and does it vary for each surgeon/patient?

95% of tummy tuck patients do not take pain meds

+3

Every surgeon, every patient, and every tummy tuck operation is different. However, in my practice the use of "long acting local anesthesia" has minimized the need for pain medicine such that only 5% of my patients take a prescription pill for 1 to 3 days.

The majority of the patients will take a muscle relaxant (Valium) with or w/o Tylenol as an alternative to pain medicine and I have found that this works well. The main disadvantage of pain meds is that they can make you nauseated and constipated.

Medications following abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgery

+3

Each plastic surgeon has his/her recommendations for postoperative care, and medications following an abdominoplasty. I usually prescribe an oral narcotic (for pain) for 7-10 days following surgery. I then ask my patients to try and transition over to a non narcotic at that point (ex. motrin). I will also ask my patients to take a laxative while taking a narcotic (to help avoid constipation). I will also give patients a prescription for anti nausea medication. I do not give my patients antibiotics to take following surgery. They do however, receive an antibiotic prior to their surgery.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative Regimen for Tummy Tuck

+2

Every plastic surgeon has their own postoperative regimen and it just depends.  I generally prescribe percocet (which is a pain reliever), flexeril (which is a muscle relaxant), and antibiotics.

Most patients need pain medication for about the first 5-7 days after the surgery.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Medication after Tummy Tuck

+2

Most patients will take pain medication for 7-14 days after a tummy tuck. I also use antibiotics for 3 days and sometimes a muscle relaxant. If I have tightened the muscles or have done anything else at the same time as the tummy tuck, I will also pu patients on a blood thinner to reduce the risk of blood clots in the legs.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Abdominoplasty

+2

Every surgeon has his or her own protocol. In most cases, you will be on an oral antibiotic for 5 to 7 days and on pain medications as needed. We like to transition our patients to non-narcotic pain medications as soon as possible. However, making sure that you are comfortable is our #1 priority. I also like to prescribe a muscle relaxer to my patients. I feel this helps relieve some of the tension from the surgery and helps the patient feel more relaxed in the immediate post-operative period. I hope this is helpful.

Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Medication after a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

Regimens vary tremendously based on the technique, surgeon's preference and with attention to patient drug sensitivities/allergies.

Typically most surgeons will use a narcotic analgesic. Many use an antibiotic. Some use a muscle relaxant if muscle tightening surgery is contemplated. Anti-nausea medications are made available. Use of anti-inflammatories are more controversial.

Those are the basic medications but there are alot of differences in medication regimens.

Post-Tummy Tuck Medications

+1

There are no standard medications given after any procedure.  These are determined by each individual surgeon.  Usually I give a single dose of antibiotics prior to surgery.  Post-op my usual medications are a muscle relaxant (if muscle plication is performed) and a narcotic pain medication.

John Whitt, MD

Each surgeon will have his own recommendations for pain medicine and antibiotics

+1

Each abdominoplasty surgeon will have his own recommendations for pain medications and antibiotics after a tummy tuck and it is best to discuss these with the surgeon you choose to perform your surgery.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD