Possible to Lighten a New Tattoo?

I had a tattoo on my right arm several weeks ago and it was a solid black. Now I'm trying to lighten it up. Can any one tell me what should I do? Thanks.

YES- ideal treatment is laser.

+1
You are a great candidate for laser FADING compared to removal... fading is much easier. The only trick I can predict is that your laser nurse/ doctor must get the passes right, as fading maybe patchy. 

In your case 1-3 sessions are needed.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist

Brisbane Dermatologist

Lightening a new tattoo

+1

Often, new tattoos respond very well to laser treatment. Typically laser treatment consists of many, ten or more treatments done at least once per month. Newer tattoos might not need as many treatments as mature tattoos because the older tattoo has pigment that has been surrounded by the host's collagen in the dermis of the skin. The new tattoo's pigment exists freely within the dermis and may be more susceptible to fragmentation by the laser and the host's immune system can engulf the particles of pigment and carry them away from the dermis. I have had some patients though, whose new tattoos were stubborn. There never is a guarantee of results with tattoo removal.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lightening a tattoo

+1

You are in luck. A fresh tattoo is the easiest to lighten requiring the fewest treatments especially if black ink is used. I would recommend finding someone with a q-switched tattoo removal laser and they can do one or two treatments and it will be much lighter. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a new Tattoo be lightened?

+1

First you must let the skin heal from the tattoo roughly 2-3 weeks. After this the simple options include injecting the tattoo with some sterile saline solution which will have a slight lightening effect, or several treatments with a Q switched laser. Hope this was helpful.

Dr D.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon