Is the HCG Diet Safe?

Just got invited to a seminar about the HCG diet, but when I went to read more it said it involved a daily shot of Human Choriogonadotropin accompanied by a 500 calorie diet. I'm no dummy but wouldn't a 500 calorie diet make you lose weight all by itself? (and make you really mean?)

The hCG Diet Can Be Very Safe & Effective

The key to the 500 calorie diet is the hCG itself. Women produce the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) when they are pregnant, and its purpose is to help your body burn fat for energy to help support the mother and baby. When used for dieting purposes, the HCG will allow you to eat a restrictive diet of 500 calories and burn fat without also burning muscle. The hCG diet is a safe option for the majority patients under the guidance of a medical practitioner. Look for a practitioner who performs comprehensive history and lab testing to ensure you are able to tolerate and use hCG safely. Hope this helps.

Sugar Land OB/GYN

HCG Diet vs Same Diet without HCG

Without HCG, a very low calorie diet will send your body into starvation mode - a condition in which your metabolism slows down and your body burns both fat AND muscle for energy trying to preserve as much fat as possible in the event that a meal does not come for a long time. You'll certainly lose weight, but some of that weight loss will be muscle. Since muscle burns more energy than most other body tissue, losing muscle slows down your metabolism.

With HCG, the body doesn't go into starvation mode and you'll burn off only the fat. This means your metabolism won't slow down, you won't feel exhausted and your body won't lose muscle mass. Of course there are limits to the effects of HCG - you can't stay on it too long and you can't exercise or engage in too much physically active work during the diet and expect to feel great, but done in short courses, it's an effective way to lose fat in a short amount of time without losing muscle.

I was extremely skeptical about the HCG diet when I first researched it years ago, but after testing it on numerous people whom I trust there is little doubt in my mind that it offers benefits beyond what can be achieved simply by severe calorie restriction.