Should I Feel Guilty About Getting Tummy Tuck?

I am 23 and is considering getiing a Tummy Tuck after 2 pregnancies. I will be using the money I have saved up but I am feeling guilty and selfish about giving up this chunk of money.

But I have very low self esteem with it. I never let my husband look or touch my stomach because I am so embarassed by it. I am too young to feel this way, but then again I know if I don't do it now it just might be my only chance. Help!

Should I feel guilty about getting this done?

The abdominoplasty is bad and you should feel bad

+1

No really there is nothing wrong with having an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck. Lots of women younger than you have opted for that procedure to feel younger and sexier. It is really up to you, if this is something you need in order to feel younger and good with yourself then were is the harm in that. We all need to feel aceepted and loved and this surgery is a way to do just that. So dont feel bad about getting an abdominoplasty, if you're already an amazing person then this surgery will only benefit you.

Guilt on plastic surgery

+1
You should not feel guilty about wanting an abdominoplasty if the appearance of your abdomen has an effect on your self esteem or sexuality. It is certainly reasonable and appropriate to weigh the cost of the surgery against other potential uses for the money including a car, house downpayment or vacation. Every patient or family has to make choices among options unless they are independently wealthy. This operation has a very high patient satisfaction rate so I would encourage you to plan for it but to make your decision that both you and your husband are comfortable with based on your financial circumstances and priorities.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck and Guilt?

+1

It sounds like, from the physical and emotional level, that you are a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.

However, there are other concerns such as family financial planning that should be factored in as well.  From the financial standpoint you should discuss these concerns with your husband and/or a financial planner.

When the time is right,  considering all the different factors in play, you should not feel guilty about surgical correction of the abdomen. Keep in mind that despite aggressive diet and exercise your abdomen will likely not improve in appearance without assistance from a good plastic surgeon.

Don't feel Guilty

+1

Many women will have significant changes in the appearance of their abdomen after multiple pregnancies. If your skin has become stretched and your muscles have separated, you may not resemble the woman you remember before having children. It is natural to be unhappy with this change. A tummy tuck can make a hge difference in restoring your pre-pregnancy abdominal contour, at the expense of an abdominal scar. Don't feel guilty about wanting this restoration.

Leo Keegan, MD

Deciding on Plastic Surgery

+1

It is common to feel guilty about doing somethig major for yourself - specially if you have a family. There are many things that cost way more than plastic surgery that make us feel good but don't make us feel guilty - such as that shiny new car, redoing the kitchen, landscaping the backyard. If you are a candidate for a tummy tuck and have a good surgeon, then you will be happy and it will be worth it. However, only you can come to terms with the guilty feelings but rest assured that many people have had tummy tucks with great results and feel better for it. Good luck.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Should you feel guilty about getting a tummy tuck? No!

+1

If your body has been stretched out by pregnancy, it can be fixed with a tummy tuck. Tummy tuck is not usually just about taking out wrinkly skin. Usually the muscle layer has stretched too, and that muscle separation called rectus diastasis can actually affect the strength of your abdominal wall. If your abdominal wall is not strong, you cannot always support your back and that can lead to other issues. So really, tummy tuck may fix a functional problem and may not be only cosmetic. I think you are brave to be willing to face something that makes you unhappy and be willing to fix it. Feeling better about yourself will probably affect the way you do other things, for the better.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Guilt over plastic surgery

+1

Now here's a question I truly can't answer, for only you can. If you are done having children and are not taking food out of your kids mouths to do the surgery then you shouldn't feel guilty about improving yourself. I hear this all the time about patient reluctance and plastic surgery. Remember that you are the one to face yourself every day when you wake up. If you feel good about doing the surgery then you should not feel guilty. Good luck on your surgery and I hope you enjoy the result for many years to come.

Steven Schuster MD FACS

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No vanity guilt for a mommy makeover

+1

The concern you express is a common one, and there are a cuople of reasons behind it. First, I think a lot of people reason that it is either nobler to live with one's imperfections, or misunderstand that no amount of exercise and diet will tighten up the skin after pregnancies. Plastic surgery is always for the things that you can't do on your own. Second, parents sometimes have concerns about taking risks, but when the procedure is done by a qualified surgeon in an accredited facility, it is extremely safe. I say go for it and I know you will be glad you did.

Richard Baxter, MD

Plastic Surgery Guilt

+1

You sound like a very good candidate for the procedure but the decision does not stop there. There are many personal and family considerations that go into deciding to have a cosmetic procedure. Everyone needs to decide for themselves what is the correct decision for them. When you seek advice from others always consider where that advice is coming from. The plastics surgeon will tell you that you are not selfish, the jealous sister, the conservative mother or the concerned husband may tell you that you are selfish. Ultimately you need to evaluate your own needs and desires and those opinions that you value.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Why?

+1

Do you feel guilty when y ou buy a nice car or dress? You want to look and feel your best. You must take care of yourself first so you can give y our family your best. Do not feel guilty.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD