Any Positive Feedback for Tummy Tuck in a 56-year-old?

My Tummy Tuck surgery is set for Oct 5, 2009 and I am scared to death. I am 56 and feel like I am too old to have this surgery, but I can't stand this skin any longer. I just hope I will live to enjoy it. I have had many surgeries but I feel this will be the most painful. Any positive feedback for someone my age?

Tummy tucks in older patients

+2

Age per se is not a contraindication to this procedure and many of us have performed abdominoplasties in patients older than you. Your physical condition is most important. You do not say if you have any chronic illnesses or what your prior surgeries were. Between your family physician and your plastic surgeon (and general surgeon if you have had abdominal surgery or gynecologic surgery) you should feel comfortable in proceeding if they are in concurrence. Be honest with your plastic surgeon about your health matters, past surgeries, problems with those surgeries, your goals and expectations, any drug abuse, etc. A good recommendation can only come after obtaining a full medical and social history as well as comprehensive examination.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tmmy tucks can be perfomred in patients older than 56

+2

Hello Bev

Rest assured that if you are healthy and at a good weight for a tummy tuck, you should have a nice result. We have performed tummy tucks on many patients in their 60s and an occasional 70 year-old. Of course, we select those patients carefully and make sure that any medical conditions they may have are under the best control. See your primary care physician ahead of time if you are worried. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck in a 56-year-old not a problem if you're healthy

+2

Why the doom and gloom Bev?

Providing you ARE a good candidate for an abdominoplasty, unless you have OTHER medical conditions, I would be VERY comfortable operating on you.

In itself you age is NOT an contraindication for this operation. We frequently operate on women your age.

If you feel that you really want to minimize your risk, ask your plastic surgeon on internist to refer you to a cardiologist for a stress test. If that test is normal, your likelihood to "to live to enjoy it" will a near certainty.

A tummy tuck is NOT "the most painful" operation in surgery. If you want to lower postoperative pain, ask your surgeon to use a portable pain pump. He/she will be familiar with them.

On the whole, Bev, you need to cheer up. If you are healthy there is NO reason while this operation will not be THE BEST operation you ever had.

Good Luck on Oct 5.

56 too old for a tummy tuck? Not usually

+1

I have done tummy tucks on patients in their 70's and once they are recovered, they usually say they wonder why they waited so long. We don't ever want to downplay the risks of surgery, but these relate more to overall health than to any specific age. Ask your surgeon about a "pain pump" such as the On-Q (more info here: http://www.askyoursurgeon.com/. )

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck in 56-Year-old

+1

All surgery carries some risk. However, unless you have significant disease, a TT in a 56 year-old should be relatively safe procedure. All surgery also is accompanied by some degree of pain which is difficult to quantify. In my experience patients around your age tolerate the discomfort better than younger patients.

John Whitt, MD