A Tummy Tuck or a Breast Augmentation First?

I had a consultation already with a plastic surgeon in my area this summer. I went in for a consultation about a tummy tuck and a breast augmenatation. He was very helpful and is a great surgeon. However, I am 23 years old and have 2 boys. I plan on having no more children, but my problem is that right now, I can only afford one surgery. I really want both. My stomach is full of stretch marks from the pregnancies, and my breast have them too, as well as loss of volume. Which would be recommended to do first?

Tummy Tuck or Breast Augmentation - Which one first?

+2

The mommy makeover is a very popular procedure and is usually more cost-effective as there are overall cheaper hospital, anesthesia and surgery fees.  I would definitely choose the one that bothers you most, as there is no medical/surgical reason to prefer one over the other.  If budget is a concern, then augmentations are usually more affordable than tummy tucks.  Also consider the recovery process as the tummy tuck has a longer recovery process than the breast augmentation.

Good luck with your decision.

Which procedure to choose first?

+2

A lot of moms undergo "mommy makeover' which is a combination surgery of both tummy and breasts.  Combination surgery is beneficial because it allows one recovery time and overall cheaper anesthesia and OR fees.  However, if you can afford only one procedure at this time, choose the area that bothers you the most.  Also, consider the recovery time in your decision making.  Tummy tuck has a longer recovery time (about 2-3 weeks of pain and 6 weeks till full recovery) than breast which has about 3 weeks till the full recovery.  

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck at the Same Time or Not

+2

The combined procedures of breast augmentation and tummy tuck are sometimes considered the "Mommy Makeover", since the 'ravages' of pregnancy and nursing can make a dramatic change of appearance on both the breasts and the abdomen.  There are pros and cons to doing them separately or combined. The breast procedure is probably the easier of the 2 to recuperate from, but it becomes alot more difficult when you add the TT.  Consider this, when you have a breast enlargement, you tend to be  limited in the use of your chest muscles early on (they are sore, the implants could be displaced if you "push off" to get out of bed, etc.).  Therefore, you compensate with your core strength, or your abdominal muscles.  When you have a TT, you are very limited in the use of your abdominal muscles (you are very sore, the muscles have been tightened and you don't want to pop a stitch by using your core strength to get out of bed or up from a chair, etc.).  Therefore, you use your chest and upper extremities to compensate.  Okay, now you have operated on both those areas....I usually give my patients the image of a "log".....you can't effectively move from a reclined to upright position because you can't use either chest or abdominal strength....therefore, recuperation is extremely difficult without someone to tend to you for about a week or so. With this in mind, most of my patients choose to have the procedures performed separately, and the decision is their's based on which is more important to them.  Good Luck in your decision making!   PS Are you sure you need a standard/full TT?  If you only need a mini tummy tuck, these 2 procedures can much more easily be combined!

Jana K. Rasmussen, MD

Mommy makeovers are very common

+2

I believe in listening to the patient as to which part of the mommy makeover is most important to her. That will help determine if her breasts or tummy is most bothersome.

It is safe to perform a breast augmentation with a tummy tuck in a young healthy patient.

But since only one procedure can be done, the breast augmentation is often preferred. It is less invasive and has a shorter recovery time. Being this may be your first cosmetic surgery, filling the volume with an implant is a surgery that takes less time to perform than a tummy tuck.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck or breast augmentation first?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that a/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations.  Which to do first will be your decision as to which one you'd like to have done first or which bothers you more. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Both at the same time

+1
Both procedures can be performed at the same time, and if you have money for one, you can consider getting financing. Pay as much as you can and the rest can be financed.This would probably be more efficient as you wouldn't have to undergo two surgical experiences and the related downtime. In addition, it will probably cost less as well since you don't have to pay for some surgical costs twice (anesthesia fee, facility fee, etc.)

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast augmentation or tummy tuck first

+1
Many patients have 2, 3 or more procedures on their wish list but finances or available time off work for recovery preclude a multiple area procedure.  I always advise patients to pick the thing that bothers them the very most and start with that.  Sometimes, once a patient gets a tummy tuck and a nice flat abdomen, those deflated breasts look a little larger by comparison.  And vice versa, if the breasts get a little added volume and a nicer shape, the saggy tummy looks a little smaller.  And I would ask your surgeon which procedure he/she will give you the most benefit for your money and recovery time. 

You may also want to consider waiting until you have enough saved up for both.  Doing both procedures at the same setting will have you some money and also a lot of recovery time.

Good luck!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Tummy Tuck or Breast Augmentation first ?

+1
I would recommend that you wait until you have enough funds then do both procedures at once for a few reasons: It will be less expensive as only one anesthesia and recovery room charge, and  you only have one recovery. Your breast augmentation procedure in the right hands can be safely done through your tummy tuck incision so there are no scars on the breast - this is my favorite approach over the past 25 years when both are done at the same time.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy tuck and/or breast augmentation

+1

Hi,

You are the typical mom that wants to do something for herself since she has done everything for her family.

Combination procedures are done in over 95% of my practice and this is in many thousands of cosmetic procedures.  The combination of breast surgery and body contouring is one of the most common of the combination procedures.

There is a significant cost savings in doing both together.  This would pertain to the surgery fees and the hospital/anes/facility fees.

My suggestion is to go to the plastic surgeon and get the opinions and costs of the procedures if they are done together or if they are done individually.  Then, go home and figure out what course of action you want to take.  If you decide on one only, then go after the one that bothers you the most. 

I personally feel that if both bother you, then wait.  Do not do one only if during the next few months you are looking at the new contours and then saying to yourself "darn, I should have done both". 

Get the information and think it over.  This combination certainly makes mommy's happy and so are their families.

Good luck with it all,

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make-Over

+1

This decision is and should be based on your preference. Many patients do choose to do the full mommy makeover at the same time if they are a good candidate for the surgery. However, I would advice you to choose going with which ever area bothers you most. Also, consider the recovery time you will need to heal from the surgery you choose. Either way, you will be very happy with the change and improvement.