How Much Will I Lose in my Waistline After Tummy Tuck?

How much can I expect to lose in inches/cm in my waistline from a tummy tuck?

Making waist smaller after a tummy tuck

+2

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Waistline may not change after tummy tuck

+1

If you have a lot of extra fat and loose skin on your tummy you may well lose 2-3 inches on your waist measurement.

However, your tummy will definitely look flatter and trimmer--even if the waist measurement does not change.

Sometimes as the skin is pulled down after the excess skin is trimmed, the sides of the waist actually become a bit wider, so dont be surprised if this happens. it is typically only temporary.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Thinner waistline with a tummy tuck

+1

This is hard to predict without actually seeing your waist.  If you have a lot of excess skin and fat as well as abdominal wall laxity, you may get a much thinner waist afterward.  However, if abdominal wall laxity is your main concern then your waisline may not get much smaller.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Waisteline After Tummy Tuck

+1

Tummy tuck removes only abdominal skin and fat. In patients with large pannus' or overhanging tissue a majority of this issue in covered by pants in the hip region and thus not part of the waistline. The waist is higher than we typically think. So the long and short is that your waistline may not change significantly.

However, I you have your flanks liposuctioned as well this will really make a dramatic change in your waistline as this accounts for a lot of the waist tissue.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

You will typically lose the weight of the hanging skin and fat that are resected and discarded

+1

You will typically lose the hanging skin and stretch marks from the level of your belly button to your pubic regions. The belly wall is also tightened. You will lose whatever the weight is of the skin and fat that are resected and discarded.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Tightening and Fat Removal Can Narrow Your Waist

+1

Narrowing your waist will depends on your body type right now.

Pregnancy widens and relaxes the abdominal muscles, and in my experience correcting the muscle separation allows the most sculpted and trim results to be created.

Extra fat also plays a role, and liposuction of course can help the hips and waist.

Excess skin can also be removed and used to "wrap" the result in a pleasing manner, and the "high lateral tension" technique is useful here.

Cases 3, 4, and 10 are examples of women who have had waist narrowing after tummy tuck through the various methods:

http://www.drlomonaco.com/tummy.htm

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Depends on the amount of loose skin and fat

+1

As other doctors stated you need a full consultation to give you better answer. In general the combination of the liposuction and tummy tuck gives you better result . Please check my web site for some examples at www.khoobehi.com . 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummytuck results not precisely predictable, but don't forget the hips

+1

i agree with dr singer, but would also point out that many patients would benefit from liposuction of the posterior hip ("lovehandle") area in conjunction with their tummytuck. this area will impact the eventual waistline area and how clothing fits there after surgery.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Waistline and tummy tuck

+1

Without a physical exam, it is simply impossible to predict. You could lose nothing or you could lose a significant amount. I would recommend going in for a consultation with a local board-certified plastic surgeon. This question and many others can be answered after a physical exam. Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

How many inches will you lose with a tummy tuck

+1

This depends on the amount of fat removed, the degree of muscle separation, and the laxity and skin-fold thickness. If you have a wide diastasis, you can achieve a significant difference in the waistline with muscle plication