Can I Refill my Saline Breast Implants?

I was happy with my breast augmentation, from 34A I went to 34C,even small D.Saline implants. But since last year they apear to gettting smaller and smaller every day. I am qurious do anyone knows if they can fill them up without to remove the implants and for less than new implants cost? Thank you

Can I increase the size of my existing breast implants by adding saline to them?

+2

All breast implant manufacturers have a optimal recommended range of breast implant fill. A breast implant can be filled more, or some saline can be removed as long as the final volume remains in this recommended range. otherwise, you can increase the risk of implant deflation, as well as altering the natural look and feel of the implant.

Vanishing breast size

+2

It is unlikely, both of your implants are leaking.  Instead you are experiencing changes in your own breast including loss of the initial swelling from surgery, retraction of the muscle if they are under the muscle, and thinning and compaction of your breast tissue.  If you desire being larger, I woyuld reccomend you see your surgeon about revising your augmentation with a new larger implant.  However if your initial augmentation is at the lower range of the allowable fill range for your devices, you could have the implants filled to the top of their fill range to increase fullness.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Implants Lose Their Shape After Too Much Overfilling

+2

My guess is that if you had a true leak, the implants would be about flat within a week. Refilling or overfilling an implant beyond the 20% recommended by the manufacturer can cause several problems:

1. You void the warranty
  2. The fluid that can be added is usually small - like 50cc- so no major size increase could be expected.
  3. As you overfill, the implant gets taller and rounder, but not wider..si it looks more like a ball, which may appear unnatural.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Removal & Replacement of Breast Implants

+1

The decrease in your breast size is probably not related to your breast implants, but instead to loss of actual breast tissue. It’s unusual for leaking breast implants to occur bilaterally and they typically don’t deflate slowly.

The solution to this problem is most likely removal of your current implants and replacement with larger implants. In most cases, adding volume to an existing implant is not considered a good idea for a variety of reasons. These implants have fill ranges and the amount added would probably not impact breast size enough to make a difference.

It’s important to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon will be able to help formulate a plan that will be appropriate for your problem. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Adding fluid to saline filled implants

+1

Adding saline to implants can be done but the problem is that if you stay in the recommended fill range you will not be able to add much to the implant.  More than likely you will need to go to a larger size to get the degree of improvement that you desire. 

Refilling saline breast implants to increase size.

+1

Usually both implants don't deflate slowly.  If you have a true chronic deflation, the fix for this is removal and replacement.  Your loss of volume may be due more to your breast tissue thinning out and the implants settling.  Refilling of implants is usually not done as most implants are filled to their capacity.  Overfilling may create rippling.  Best to talk with your plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Refill my Saline Breast Implants

+1

It is unlikely to have a simultaneous leak, and refilling the old implants is not recommended. The reason for the change needs to be identified before proceeding with the appropriate answer. Consult with your implantation surgeon to explore your options. If he or she is unavailable, consult with 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons to identify the best option for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Leaking saline implants should be removed and replaced

+1

If you notice that your breasts seem to be getting smaller, it is likely that your saline implants may be leaking.  It is unusual that both implants would be leaking at a slow rate at the same time.  Usually leaking saline implants are manifested by a sudden overnight complete deflation.  I would recommend consulting a plastic surgeon and if the implants are leaking, to have them reoved and replaced with new implants.  It would no be advisable to refill implants that are leaking.

James Tang, MD

Adding saline to implants

+1

I would not recommend adding more saline to already filled implants. Usually they are filled to the recommended max number. To overfill them will make them harder and change the shape. You are better off putting in an appropriate sized implant and filling the new one up.

Saline implants refills

+1

There are many reasons for decreasing breast size including postoperative swelling reduction, leakage from the saline implants, thinning or breast tissue displacement from overly large implants, and weight loss. It is very difficult to determine why your breasts are becoming smaller without more information. 

It is not recommended to simply refill implants for many reasons. The volume of saline for each implant is within a given range and overfilling implants can lead to rippling, scalloping, and a higher risk of rupture. My recommendation is to revisit your plastic surgeon to identify why your breasts appear to be getting smaller, and whether a larger implant makes sense for you and your body.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon