How Much Bruising Should I Expect from Under Eye Filler Injections?

How bad is the bruising under the eye area after filler injections are done? Do I need to take time off work?

Bruising after filler injection below the eye

+3

Bruising following filler injection is uncommon and unpredictable. Avoiding anticoagulating medications such as aspirin and vitamin E can minimize the risk of bruising. I have found that numbing the area of injection with a nerve block has reduced the incidence of bruising in my patients. Application of ice and pressure following the injection is also helpful.

Once bruising occurs, it usually resolves within one week. Arnica Montana is an herbal treatment which can help reduce swelling and bruising.

Bruising with Fillers

+2

Bruising after facial filler injections can happen, especially under the eyes. It is somewhat unpredictable, as nobody can see small vessels under the skin surface.

Patients can help minimize the chance of bruising by avoiding aspirin or other medications that contain aspirin for at least 10 days prior to any treatment. Applying ice compresses after the injections can also help.

If bruising does occur, expect that resolution can take from 3-7 days, depending on size. warm compresses after the first day help to resolve it quicker.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filling lower eyelid grooves typically has no downtime.

+2

Filling lower eyelid grooves to camouflage the appearance of eyelid bags is one of the most satisfying procedures for my patients and me. There is usually no downtime, but occasionally a small vein can be nicked, and in the worst case scenario, a "shiner" may develop.

I wish you an uneventful injection, and I hope you enjoy your results.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing bruising from eye or tear trough filler injections

+2

This varies tremendously among individuals and there may be very little you can do to avoid it. Howevery, there are many things you can do to minimize the potential.

1. Avoid medications such as Aspirin or motrin (NSAIDs) like products that may interfere with bleeding.
  2. Avoid alcohol.
  3. Control your blood pressure.
  4. Consider oral Arnica montana prior to injections.
  5. Consider ice immediately prior and subsequent to injections.
  6. Apply gentle pressure to area immediately after injections.
  7. Minimize physical activity and straining for 4-6 hours after injection.

Contact your physician's office prior to injection to inquire about any other measures they may advise.

Bruising from injectable fillers is common in tear troughs

+1

Although not common, under eye bruising can occur and is the most frequent site of bruising with fillers.

Ice before and after is critical and a good injection technique can minimize any bruising if it should occur. Cover up can often conceal it.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers and bruising

+1

There may be a little bruising from fillers. This can happen more frequently in the thin skin of the lower lids.  Try to avoid any blood thinners like aspirin or anti- inflammatory agents for about 10 days to 2 weeks prior to the procedure to minimize the risk.

Probably modest bruising

+1

The areas under the eyes are quite vascular. You should expect some bruising. How much will depend on the skill of your physician, your own bleeding tendency at the time of surgery and luck.

You can help minimize bruising by taking a few simple precautions. Make sure you stop aspirin, Aleve, Advil, Vitamin E and St. John's wort etc. at least ten days before your injections. Bromelain pills taken before the procedure may also help. Unfortunately, eating tasty pineapple is not effective, since the bromelain dwells in the stalk and not in the fruit. Some physicians recommend taking arnica montana, an old folk remedy, after treatments. However, scientific validation of this claim is very limited.

Be sure you use ice packs before and after the injections. This definitely helps minimize bruising.

Good luck and relax during the procedure. This may not help prevent burising but it will make for a more pleasant experience for all.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist