Breast Implant Size Advice for a Conservative Look?

I am 5'7", weighing 150 lbs, and and looking for a conservative look. What breast implant size will best suit me?

BreastVIDEO (click here for link) Implant Size Advice for a Conservative Look? In the eye of the beholder.

+2

What is conservative to one individual is not necessarily conservative to another. It is in the eye of the beholder. So let the surgeon know your preferences and what YOU consider to be conservative. Using sizers may help. A sample video below reveals the use of sizers.

Conservative Breast Implant Size

+1

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant you need in order to achieve a conservative look without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Toronto BBA

+1
There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!
Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Selecting Breast Implant Size

+1

Based on the width of your chest and breast, your height, and your preference for conservative breast fullness your plastic surgeon should recommend a few implant sizes that will fit your body and give the results you want. The ideal way to visualize what the results will look like is using 3D imaging to simulate your result. Your surgeon may have this technology available.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast implant size

+1

Breast implant size is very personal and is dictated by your size, weight, current breast tissue, current breast size and your desired outcome. Discuss with your surgeon what you are expecting from your surgery and ask to see pictures of people who are your size. Bring pictures with you of what you would like your breasts to look like so you and your surgeon can be on the same page about size, placement and profile.

Joseph G. Bauer, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Try on the Breast Implants before surgery

+1

No one can tell you what breast implant size you should have or what would be considered "conservative" for you. This will vary significantly from person to person. The best way for you to make your own decision is to try on implants of various sizes so you can see the potential result. Once you see the potential result, you will be able to make your own decision. Your surgeon can guide you but you should still see for yourself.

Good luck.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Conservative breast implants

+1

It is a tough question to answer without knowing what you consider conservative. This is something that is gone over with patients in the office during their exam. Once I get a feel for the patients desires I suggest an implant shape and size and then the patient goes home to test out my suggestions usually with a "baggy test."

Breast implant size for conservative look

+1

Dear Lulu1971,

We get this question ALL the time;

Usually in 2 infamous versions:

1. "Doc...(charged pause)... I would like to be bigger....you know....bigger...but not like Dolly Parton..."

2. "Doc...(pause)..I hate my nose. It is too (usually one or more of the following choices:...big, wide, droopy, bulbous, to the side etc)...I want it more refined...you know - BUT I don't want a Michael Jackson nose..."

Your idea of conservative - may NOT be your plastic surgeon's to say nothing about your boyfriend or husband's idea of conservative breasts.

Just like you should not buy ties for men (unless they are BOTH totally color blind and devoid of anything resembling good taste) you should NOT allow anyone to pick your breast implants for you. They WILL get it all wrong (and unlike a tie you cannot trash it).

The BEST and only way to get it right is to see SEVERAL plastic surgeons and learn from them what each would recommend for you. Chances are if you hear the same implants being repeated - those implants are the ones for you. I would then pick the surgeon you like the most and go with him/her.

I hope this was helpful.

A seemingly simple question...

+1

Lulu, is sometimes the most difficult to answer. What is "conservative" to you, may not be to many others. I would recommend an in depth consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and discussion about what size implant will best help you to achieve your goals. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD