Is It Safe to Exercise Chest Muscles After Breast Implants?

What happens to Breast Implants if I work out my pectoral muscles; ie, push ups? Are there different exercises I can do? Are pull ups ok?

Safe to exercise pectoral muscles after Breast implants

+5

Yes. After you are completely healed.

There is NO point in having a breast augmentation if it will change the way you live. Once the surgery is completely healed in a few months you should be able to resume all your previous activities.

A few years ago, Dr. Baker, a senior member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons, from Florida, presented a memorable paper on the negligible effect of (subpectoral) breast augmentation in PROFESSIONAL female body builders. The ability of those women to lift large weights was studied on Cybex machines and was proven not to be significantly changed by the operation.

If they can do it - so can you.

Good Luck.

Pectoralis exercise after breast enlargement or augmentation

+4

VIEW VIDEO BELOW BY CLICKING "MORE":

To some degree, we immediately want you to perform pectoralis stretching exercises to minimize postoperative pain due to spasm (similar to a contracting hamstring pull).

However, I generally advise my patients to avoid pectoralis strengthening exercises: such as wide stance push ups or bench press.

No Exercise Limitations After Breast Augmentation Healing

+2
My instructions to my patients is that after 6 weeks they are able to do any exercises that they would normally do including intensive upper extremity exercises.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Pec exercise after augmentation

+2

I ask my patients to refrain from pec exercise for 8 weeks after surgery to let the pocket around the implants mature.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Exercise after breast augmentation

+2

After a subpectoral breast augmentation, a patient may resume exercise (push-ups, weight training) once the pectoral muscles have fully healed. This may take two to three months before the muscles have healed enough to perform strenuous activity. Patients may experience some discomfort and pain when they resume these types of activities, so I advise patients to proceed slowly at first with lighter weights. You may also notice that the implants will move as your pectoral muscles contract- this is normal.

Consult with your plastic surgeon prior to resuming a strenous exercise routine after breast augmentation.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

After a sub muscular breast enlargement I allow the patient to resume full activity

+2

It would be awful to change the way you live in order to have breast implants. After the breast are fully healed I allow the patient to resume full activity including weight training. The breast will certainly look different when working out but when not flexing the muscles they will look quite normal. The only exception to this is if you are a body builder who plans to pose. In that case you will have distortion of your appearance when you flex. Quite honestly even if you are or are not a body builder I prefer to place silicone gel implants under the muscle through a peri areolar incision. This to me looks and feels more normal. It will also take away from any work out distortion.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Usually safe to exercise pectoral muscles after breast implants

+2

Most active women exercise after they have breast implant surgery. Sometimes things change particularly in larger implant cases though. Each woman finds her own place here relative to what she can and cannot do. Unless you went really large on the implant size, you are usually able to do everything you were able to do before.

The bottom line: ask your surgeon.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

After everything has healed

+1
Once the implants are healed you should be able to do any exercise you want.  If however it is particularly painful, then you are doing too much for your body at that time.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Exercise Chest Muscles After Breast Implants

+1
Each surgeon has his or her guidelines regarding postoperative care. Typically, patients can return to light activity 3 - 5 days after surgery. More strenuous activity can begin 3 - 6 weeks post surgery. Consult with your surgery as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Exercising With Breast Implants

+1
I have performed breast augmentation on several athletes and fitness models without adversely affecting their physique or ability. You will be able to lift weights with implants, do pushups, pull-ups, or anything else, however you should start off slowly and gradually build up to your desired intensity. However, you should always ask your surgeon for their advice. Their guidelines may be different.

Jerome Edelstein, MD