Good Idea Not to Replace Breast Implants After Capsular Contracture?

I have a stage 4 capsular contracture in my right breast. I had my surgery 6 years ago. I am considering not getting the breast implants replaced and have an augmentation done. Do you think not replacing the implants are a good idea? I am told by 3 different doctors that I have enough breast tissue to create a full breast.

Neopectoral pocket for recurrent caspular contracture.

+1

I  would consider implant removal and replacement in a neopectoral pocket to reduce the potential for a recurrent capsular contracture.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/implant-replacement/

Breast Lifing, Augmentation, Recovery, capsular contracture

+1

Dear MiaHope, you have several options on your situation.

1) remove the implants only- wait and do a breast lift later

2) remove the implants and do an immediate breast lift

3) remove the implants, have and open capsulotomy and replace the implants

4) remove, open capsulotomy, replace the implants and immediate breast lift

If you have a breast lift- the breasts will appear smaller- even if no tissue is removed.

There is a medication called Singulair which is used for childhood asthma- as an off label prescription it can be helpful with Capsular contracture.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Capsular contracture treatment

+1

Capsular contracture can be difficult to treat. If you have enough breast tissue to be happy with your size after removal of your implants, then not replacing the implants is good idea as it will remove the possibility of having capsular contracture again. You will likely have a breast lift to improve your breast shape after implant removal. There is no harm in leaving the implant out and if you are unhappy with your breast size to revisit having an implant placed back in sometime in the future - 6mo or more once you have healed from your surgery. Discuss your options with your surgeon carefully and be sure to understand the trade-offs with the choice you make.

Web reference: http://www.stcharlesplasticsurgery.com/html/breast-augmentation.html

Breast implant replacement after capsular contracture correction

+1

Dear MIA,

"...I have a stage 4 capsular contracture in my right breast. I had my surgery 6 years ago. I am considering not getting the breast implants replaced and have an augmentation done. Do you think not replacing the implants are a good idea?"

Your question can be interpreted in 2 ways:
1. INSTEAD of - augmentation you meant to say capsular correction OR breast lift.

2. Or you MAY be asking it the OLD implants can be left in AFTER removal of the scar tissue.

For the benefit of others, a BAKER Class IV contracture is a breast where the scar around the implant is VISIBLE, PALPABLE and the breast is PAINFUL. The breast is deformed and tender.

The only way to relieve the condition is to remove most or all of the scar along with the implant (pericapsular dissection with partial or complete capsulectomy). If the implants are NOT replaced, the resulting breast will be smaller and droopier. The shape may look more attractive if a breast lift (mastopexy) is done.

Can older saline implants be reused and replaced? Yes but it is probably a better idea to go with a fresh, slightly larger pair of implants if you choose to go this way.

Good Luck.

Capsular contracture

+1

To undergo another surgery after developing a capsular contracture is possible.  The old capsule should be removed and certainly if you want new implants they can be put in.