Botox for Drooping Mouth Corners?

The corners of my mouth droop. People often ask me what's wrong. Can Botox be used to help this and where would they inject it?

Juvederm or Restylane plus Botox works for droopy mouth corners

Injecting a half cc of Juvederm or Restylane ($350) plus injecting Botox ($300) should fix that droopy mouth corners quite well for about 3-5 months.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Quite helpful

One of the growing uses of Botox is exactly that, ie. turning up the corner of the drooping mouth. It is done by putting a few units into the Depressor Anguli Oris (DAO) muscle. This is the muscle that pulls the corners of the mouth down often giving the patient an unhappy or scowling look.

If you have it done, by a physician experienced in its administration, I am quite sure you would be happy with its affect.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Injectable Fillers work well to correct the downturned corners of your mouth.

Although BOTOX is used for downturned corners of the mouth, I prefer using Injectable Fillers to replace volume in the groove, and improve the appearance.

I've attached a photo demonstrating filling the "marionette groove" for your perusal.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, but Botox not the only option for drooping mouth corners

Dear Ritamarie

A small dose of BOTOX in the depressor anguli oris muscle can help lift the corner. This treatment will be effective for several months. However, filling the corner of the mouth and the depressor anguli oris area with Perlane will accomplish the same goal but provide a result that has the potential to last well over a year. This is a much better alternative although the treatment will cost more.

Botox (and Fillers) to Elevate the Corners of the Mouth

Hi Rita,

A few units of Botox properly placed into the muscle that depresses or pulls down the corners of your mouth will help your drooping mouth. As to where it would be injected, that would be in a qualified physician's office, the physician better know where to put it and not depend on your showing her/him. It is placed in the depressor anguli oris muscle.

Additionally, a filler injected properly in the corners of the mouth will also elevate the droop.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Drooping Mouth Corners...

To improve the drooping mouth corners, I commonly use both of the following techniques -- (1) injecting filler into the mouth corner, and (2) injecting Botox into the muscle that normally depresses the corner of the mouth, the Depressor Anguli Oris.

Be sure to seek the services of an experienced physician injector. I think the key with Botox lies in truly understanding the anatomy of the injected area, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead, and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection. This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, and the patient variability therein. As an aesthetic-trained plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin and see the actual muscles themselves. For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to. However, with that said, I know many Dermatologists who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get great results.

Good luck.

Dr Markarian

Botox can help a droopy mouth

A few units of Botox (usually in the range of 2-4 units per side) into the depressor anguli oris muscles can make a significant improvement in drooping, downturned mouth corners. Caution must be used in this area, however, as even small amounts of Botox may sometimes cause an asymmetry of the smile. Botox in the lower face may cause unwanted functional impairments and should therefore only be performed by experienced injectors.

I also agree that a small amount of filler (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, Radiesse) will complement this treatment nicely and give more lasting results.
Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Drooping mouth

Botox is not the best solution for drooping of the lateral commisures of the mouth.  You  may be better off with a facelift, some p

Botox for drooping mouth

I do not use Botox for areas around the mouth nor do I recommend it for my patients and know that several other dermatologists do this. I dont recommend it for these areas because of the risk profile associated with it. However, those dermatologists that have expertise and more importantly experience in treating those areas with good results would be a better resource for Botox around the mouth.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for the drooping corners of the mouth

I agree, botox in conjunction with filler in the corner of the mouth works really will to support and help elevate a down-turned corner of the mouth.  Best, Dr. Karam

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon