Botox for Orbicularis Oris Muscle?

Can Botox be used for the orbicularis oris muscle? That particular muscle is too built up on my face and gives me a masculine appeal. I attached a photo of a woman who's muscle around her top lip is built up similarly to mine. It's the part circled in red.

Botox near the mouth

+2

Unfortunately, there will be a very fine line between the amount needed for flattening the muscle and the amount of Botox that might cause your lip to droop giving you an unwanted smile irregularity, drooling, speech problems and asymmetry.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com

Botox not the best around the mouth

+2

Botox can be used for vertical lip lines, but isn't always the best idea; I personally prefer hyaluronic acid based fillers like Juvederm. Since the orbicularis oris muscle is necessary for pursing, and other functions of the mouth, too much Botox can lead to drooling and problems with oral continence. I have never seen Botox used to create selective atrophy of this muscle and would not suggest it.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Orbicularis Oris Muscle?

+1

Botox(R) can be used for the orbicularis oris muscle. This is the muscle that encircles the lips and is predominantly responsible for pursing the lips, whistling, kissing and some of the function related to smiling. Nonetheless, one of the most common concerns about the lips is that of vertical lines, or "smoker's" lines. Small doses of Botox(R) delivered into the wrinkles can achieve some good reduction of the vertical lines when done by an experienced cosmetic physician. It is important not to use too much Botox(R) in these areas as it can affect overall function of the mouth, but small doses do an excellent job of improving these vertical lines. Thus, as far as the orbicularis oris muscle this is the major area that can be treated.

Botox to reduce mouth bulk

+1

Sorry Fanny. I have never heard of anyone using Botox in the orbicularis oris muscle to decrease the bulk of the lip. I do not think that it would work and would not recommend it. You would likely need a fair amount of Botox, which will alter your ability to smile, etc.

Botox around the mouth

+1

Injecting botox around the mouth may not be teh best solution for you to reduce the volumeof the upper lip.  A fornal exam would be important and an evaluation of your bony architecture as well as soft tissue architecture would be important.

Botox Is Not My Choice for This Area

+1

Lip lines are best treated with fillers and peels if needed.  I would definitely not use Botox for the concern you are demonstrating in the picture.

Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox to decrease lip size

+1

In this particular area, Botox is most useful for minimizing radial lip lines (lipstick bleeding lines). However, it is not commonly used for debulking or decreasing the size of the lips.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.