How Much Solution Should Be Added Per Botox Vial?

If there are 1000 units of Botox in a vial, how much solution should be added?

Botox dilution can vary

+3

Your question about Botox preparation is a good one. In the United States, there are two size vials of Botox Cosmetic, one containing 100 units and another containing 50 units. I believe the 100 unit vial is standard. As per the Product Information that was approved by the FDA, 2.5cc of saline should be added to the100 unit vial of Botox. However, different physicians may use slightly different dilutations.

I think more important than the amount of solution added to the vial is the number of units of Botox that are being injected. This can also vary from physician to physician. However, if an inadequate amount is injected, the results will not be as good. I generally use 25 units of Botox Cosmetic to treat the glabella for women and 35 units for men (men often require more because they have more muscle mass).

Hope this helps.

Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Dilution

+2

The recommend dilution is 2.5cc into 1 standard vial of Botox. Many physicians vary this dilutions based on their personal preferences. The important thing as a patient and as a consumer is to know how many UNITs your are getting. That is the real measure of Botox and that is essentially what you are paying for.

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to dilute a Botox vial

+2

As others have mentioned, Botox in the US comes in 100 U and 50 U vials. The 100 U one is the most common. Different providers dilute it in different ways. Personally, I use 2cc of saline. More important than the dilution is the number of units injected in a given area. HOWEVER, if too much fluid is injected in one area, then diffusion is greater and nearby muscles can be affected more than if a smaller amount of fluid is used. Therefore, in my experience, if 4 cc of saline is used for dilution and the frown lines between the brows are treated, there is a higher likelihood of botox migrating to the eyelid muscle, which can cause drooping. I hope this helps you.

Sirish Maddali, MD

The dilution is not as important as how many units are used

+2

The Botox that is available in united states has 100 units per vial. The amount of the saline used for dilution varies from doctor to doctor . The most important thing is the number of the units injected. Most doctors inject 20 units per area but this can vary based on the strength and size of the muscle.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Varies on Physician Preference

+2

First, Botox comes in 100 unit vials not 1000 unit ( although the price increases since cosmetic approval certainly should have occasioned an increase in units per vial). Allergan has begun production of a 50 unit vial.

How this is diluted depends on the preference of the physician. Although the package insert states that Botox should be diluted with 2.5 cc of unpreserved saline, many physicians choose a different dilution, generally ranging from 1 cc to 5 cc. Nearly all, use preserved saline since it hurts less and provides a longer storage time.

Some studies have indicated that the Botox affect lasts as much as a month longer if the lower dilution ( 1 cc) is utilized. Personally, I prefer it in the areas that I would like to be precise and use the 2.5 dilution where I would like more diffusion such as the forehead.

Ultimately, the appearance depends on units and not dilution. Those who use a "weaker" Botox, i.e. more saline, inject more volume. The units would be the same as someone who injects less volume, but has more potent (less diluted ) Botox.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

100 units per vial of Botox

+1

There are only 100 units per vial, the recommended dilution is 2.5 cc of sterile saline.  Atlanta Plastic  Surgeon, Dr. Z

Dilutions vary by physician

+1

There are only 100 units of Botulinum toxin in Botox Cosmetic. Physicians often dilute with saline from 1 to 2.5 ccs per bottle. Some do more. The importance is the actual number of units of Botox given and the volume then Is different depending on the dilution.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox dilution

+1

FIrst, there are only 100 units in a vial of Botox. Second, I like to dilute it in about 2-2.5 mls of saline. I like to keep it fairly concentrated so it won't disperse too much. Some people like to dilute it in 4 cc's of saline

Botox Units & Dilution

+1

There are 100 units in a vial of Botox.  Dilution varies among practioners.  I personally dilute with 2.5cc of saline which is recommended by Allergen.  More important is the experience of the person injecting the Botox.  Most practices base the charge of the number of units injected.

John Whitt, MD

Botox Dilution

+1

Hi Ritamarie,

If you have a vial with 1000 units, it is "bogus botox" and I would not risk injecting it into any living thing.

FDA approved Botox Cosmetic by Allergan comes in 100 unit vials. It can be diluted with anything from 1 to 10 cc of saline. It is not the dilution, but the mumber of units of Botox that are delivered to the muscle that determines the effect.

Make sure that you are receiving FDA approved Botox only.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD