Arm Lift Recovery

I'm thinking about an arm lift and just wondering what to expect. What's the recovery like after the arm lift? What can I expect in terms of downtime and scarring?

Arm Lift Recovery

+2

What I tell my patients always is if you follow the indications properly especially the first week everything should go smoothly from there. The indications I recommend to my patients to follow are , to limit yourself to minimal activities at least for 10 days and no lifting heavy object for a month. As for driving approximately 10 days also. The use of the bandages or garment is very important this is to prevent serious complications like hematomas, seromas inflammatory liquid that could accumulate. Some stitches will be removed in 10 days after the surgery, others are not necessary. The scar tends to diminish in 6 months. I recommend this surgery it has a amazing results and patients leave very satisfied. 

Hope this helps !
Regards 

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Armlift Recovery Variable

+2
Thank you for your question. Some patients with upper arm skin and fat laxity benefit from laser liposuction with non-ablative skin tightening procedures.  This recovery is perhaps the shortest with 1 week of mild downtime, 3-4 weeks of mild to moderate swelling and small scars.  Middle of the road patients with just skin excess benefit from a traditional brachioplasty with a low-anterior incision.  The downtime is 1-2 weeks, 3-6 weeks of mild to moderate swelling and long scars that improve with time.  Heavy arms with excess skin benefit from a low-anterior brachioplasty  with adjunctive liposuction.  Downtime is 1-2 weeks, 4-12 weeks of mild to moderate swelling and long scars that improve with time.  Arm compression garments help to manage the swelling and provide comfort.  Most patients are thrilled with the improvement in contour they achieve with these procedures. Consult with a Plastic Surgeon experienced with body contouring after weight loss. All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift Recovery

+2

This is a very satifying surgery and has a short recovery for the gains you get.  Most of my patients need about 2-3 days of recovery and are back at work as long as it is a desk job at about 3-5 days.

Arm movement at the shoulder is restricted for the first 4 weeks.  After that there are no restrictions.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Optimum recovery after an Arm Lift

+2

The recovery time after a full arm lift in my typical patient is quite short.  Usually there is only mild discomfort for 2-3 days.  My patients usually are able to drive a car and can return to office work after 5-7 days.  The major restriction is avoiding a full range of motion of the arms for about one month, but the patients are able to start certain  exercises after about 10 days.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty (arm lift) recovery

+1
The recovery for an arm lift (brachioplasty) is different for each patient.In my practice I tell patients they will be in a compressive dressing for about 2 days.There are dissolvable sutures, but we typically put in a few “anchor” sutures about every 2-3 inches that come out at 10 days.There are steri-strips on the incisions that should not be removed for 5-7 days.We ask patients to avoid heavy lifting for about 10-14 days.After the incision is healed, patients can resume normal activities.It is about 4-6 weeks before patients are feeling 100% “normal” again.

Christopher T. Maloney Jr., MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Downtime for armlift

+1
After arm lift surgery, I suggest minimal activity for the first few days. Please avoid lifting for about 2 weeks.  By 4 weeks, most are back to regular activities.  However, I do recommend avoiding all tanning for 3 months.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time Following Brachioplasty

+1

Brachioplasty recovery varies from patient to patient and depends on a variety of factors including the type of procedure performed, the patients wound healing characteristics and the patients overall health.

The vast majority of patients are able to resume normal activities in 2 to 3 weeks following surgery. Strenuous activity and heavy lifting should be avoided for at least 6 to 8 weeks following this procedure.

In the immediate post-operative period drains and compression garments are utilized. Drains are typically removed in about a week, but compression wraps are left in place for about 3 weeks.

Wound healing varies from patient to patient and is an important issue because incision sites are hard to hide with this procedure. Under these circumstances the wound healing characteristics of the patient are extremely important because scars are often visible following surgery. For this reason, wound care is extremely important following brachioplasty surgery. If you’re considering brachioplasty, it’s important to discuss after care with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with surgery. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Armlift Recovery

+1

It depends on the type of armlift done. If you do a hidden inner armlift, it has a minimal incision and the recovery is about 5 days. If you do a posterior armlift, which is done primarily on massive weight loss patients for significant skin redundancy, the recovery is about 7-10 days. The scarring is dependent upon 90% of your own genetics and how you heal. Most of the time the scars, especially in the inner arm, look remarkably good at 6-12 months.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Typical Arm Lift Recovery

+1

Following surgery, the arms are wrapped in a compression sleeve to reduce swelling.  During the first 10-14 days, the swelling will reduce as a sign of the initial healing.

Patients should avoid lifting arms overhead after the procedure.

Swelling and bruising will gradually fade during the 3 to 4 weeks following surgery. After 6 weeks there are no activity restrictions for my patients but always ask your surgeon for his recommendations.

The scars on the inner side of the arm should fade between 6 and 24 months following surgery, depending on the patient’s skin. This process can be hastened with certain types of lasers and scar maturation products such as silicone based products.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Arm Lifting Surgery Recovery?

+1

The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. However, this procedure carries a major drawback: difficult scarring that may require scar revision (more so, in my experience, then other procedures).

I have tried placement of the resulting scars in the bicipital  groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles)  as well as a long the inferior–lower aspect of the upper arm. I have found higher patient satisfaction with the latter approach. If the excision can be planned such that the scar falls along the frontal aspect of the lower arm, then the scar may be visible only when the patient raises his/her arms.

As with many plastic surgical procedures, the planning of the incisions and resulting scar line is critical. However, even with attention to detail, the resulting scars may not be ideal and revisionary surgery is  often necessary to improve the appearance (for example, the width) of the scars.

I asked my patients  to keep arms elevated for one week after surgery and avoid heavy lifting for the 1st month after surgery.