Stretchmarks Under Arms

Iam 19 yrs old & I went through a growth spurt a couple of yrs ago. I have stretchmarks under my arms, or the "bat wing" area & on lower my sides. Iam thinking of getting surgical excision, to remove them, would that be any help?

Stretch Marks Solution

Thanks for the question.

To date, unfortunately, there is no great answer to treating stretch marks, which represent intradermal scarring, commonly found secondary to pregnancy, obesity, or in your case, a growth spurt. While surgical excision is an option, you are essentially trading a scar for a scar and there is no guarantee that the new scar will be any more aesthetically appealing than your stretch marks.

You may want to consider "micro-needle" treatments in conjunction with sound skin rejuvenation program. In our hands, this has produced favorable results in many instances, although not all. I would recommend consulting with your local plastic surgeon to devise the best solution possible for your particular case.

Removing stretch marks under the arms

Thank you for your question regarding under arm stretch marks.

If you decide to undergo an arm lift or brachioplasty, stretch marks in the area of surgical resection will be permanently removed. However, please be aware, that stretch marks outside the surgical excision area will still be there.

During a medial, longitudinal arm lift, an incision is made from the armpit to the elbow. An elliptical area of skin and fat is removed from the inner arm. If you have stretch marks in this area, these arm stretch marks will be permanently removed. If you have stretch marks in the armpit, axillae, or the area that hangs over the bra strap line, an incision can be placed from the armpit down to the upper bra strap line. An elliptical area of skin and fat is removed in the upper arm pit or axillary region. This is called a vertical torsoplasty. Stretch marks in this area would be permanently removed with a vertical torsoplasty.

I hope this answers your questions regarding stretch marks under the arms and upper torso.

Good luck!  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

What Can Be Done For Stretch Marks

It’s not unusual for patients who undergo rapid growth to develop stretch marks. These stretch marks can occur in a variety of locations including the axilla.

Occasionally armpit stretch marks are associated with loose saggy skin beneath the arms. Under these circumstances, excision of excess skin not only removes the loose skin, but also removes the stretch marks.

Unfortunately, when stretch marks aren’t associated with loose skin, excision only trades them for scars. In addition, scars in this location can be associated with flexion contractions of the joint. This can adversely affect the shoulder range of motion.

If you’re considering this type of surgery, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that will hopefully address your concerns. 

Armlifting Candidate?

Arm lifting is an excellent procedure to improve the contour of the arms and remove  redundant skin and adipose tissue;  the downside is a relatively high rate of unsatisfactory scarring and the need for revisionary surgery.

It may behoove you to visit with well experienced a board certified plastic surgeons.

Stretch marks

There will be a trad-off to remoe stretch marks with excisions. You will always have a scar from excision procedures.e

Arm lift correction of arm stretch marks

Arm lift correction of stretch marks and arm laxity is ideal.  I would recommend a short scar arm lift, given your age. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Treating stretch marks on the arms is possible

Without a photo, it is impossible to know if an arm lift is a good idea for you.  If so, that surgery may remove many of your stretch marks. 

Directly cutting out stretch marks is not a good idea--replaces scars (stretch marks) with new scars (surgical).

There are lasers and RF devices that might help improve the appearance of your stretch marks, but nothing (other than surgery) will actually remove them.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Stretch marks are intradermal scars - excising them leaves scars -- so you trade a scar for a scar --- cant say you get anything better with surgery - unless you have a lot of excess skin.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD