General or Local Anesthesia for Axillary Breast Tissue Removal?

I have axillary breast tissue in both armpits that I want to have removed. If surgery would be the only option, would it have to be done under general anesthesia, or could a local be used?

Local anesthesia a good option for many procedures

+3

I have performed anterior axillary bra roll excision in the office under local anesthesia with nice success. I have also done the same procedure under general anesthesia in the OR with nice success.  The best option for you will depend on the amount of tissue to be removed, the location of that tissue, your comfort level with being awake during a procedure, and your surgeon's comfort level.

General Anesthesia vs Local for Brachioplasty

+2

It really depends how big this is and what your threshold is.  I do prefer general anesthesia because it is safe and more comfortable both for the patient and the surgeon.  General anesthesia is safe as long as you are healthy and young.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Axillary breast tissue removal

+1
I perform axillary breast tissue removal under local anesthesia or general anesthesia, depending on the case.  Many of these patients also undergo liposuction of other areas at the same time.  For those patients, general anesthesia may be the better option. Local anesthesia if fine for isolated axillary treatments.

David Stoker, MD

General or local anesthesia for axillary breast tissue removal?

+1
Axillary breast tissue removal with light sedation is an excellent alternative to general anesthesia.  This can be performed in a certified office OR or outpatient facility. Using local anesthesia alone may cause you discomfort, so the addition of sedation is recommended.  Also, if the tissue is axillary breast tissue, make sure that your physician sends the tissue for pathological evaluation.  All breast issue should be evaluated when removed to check for occult breast cancer ( although rare).

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

In Most Cases, Breast Tissue Removal Done Under General Anesthesia

+1

It’s not unusual for patients with axillary breast tissue to request surgical excision. This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia. The size, location, patient preference, surgeon preference and health history are all important considerations when choosing anesthesia methods. In most cases, the procedure is performed under general anesthesia, but in selected cases can be performed under local anesthesia. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Axillary Breast Tissue Removal?

+1

Usually I suggest that the procedure be done under general anesthesia  mainly for patient comfort. If the area involvement is smaller then it can be done under local and it's easier.  Patient's preference is also a factor.

Anesthesia options for axillary breast tissue removal

+1
Anesthesia options ranging from local to intravenous sedation to general may be used for removal of ectopic breast tissue. The degree of anesthesia should be proportional to the amount of tissue to be resected and your own comfort level. Definitely ask your plastic surgeon about the appropriate alternatives and share your concerns.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Axillary breast tissue

+1

Having an excision of axillary breast tissue can be done either with local or general. I think that patients are more comfortable having general.

Removal of axillary tissue

+1

This tissue can be removed by under either local or general anesthesia. Another option would be sedation anesthesia where you would get a little "twilight" anesthesia without the breathing tube and then your surgeon could inject the local anesthesia. This way, you wouldn't be aware of the injections, and when you wake up a little you're axillae will be numb. Good options all around, and good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Local not the best

+1

It really depends on how much tissue there is to remove.  If you have a significant amount, and even if you don't, general would be much more comfortable for you.  If you have a small area and you want local, get sedation and be monitored.  Safety is the first concern always.

Scott E. Kasden, MD