I Am 66. Is There an Age Limit for Botox Injections?

I have had botox in the past, just not in last two years. Had only between brows.

You are not too old for Botox

+5

There is no age limit for getting treated with Botox!  If you have animation lines that cause wrinkles with movement of certain facial expressions Botox can and will help relax those muscles.  In my office we have treated patients well into there 80's with Botox.   

No depends on the age

+4

Botulinum toxin (Botox, Vistabel, Xeomin, Azzalure, Bocouture, Dysport,...) is a valuable tool if used with rigor and by a  accredited plastic surgeon. Botulinum toxin exercises its action partially or completely paralyzing muscle activity. If the muscle tone is good, chronological age is not an obstacle to benefit from treatment with Botox. The flaccidity of overlaying skin does not necessarily imply  muscular flaccidity or sagging. You must discuss your clinical case with your plastic surgeon; he can advise you if Botox is a suitable treatment for you, the exact dose you need and its limitations.

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Botox in patients over 65

+3

Botox is labeled for use in patients under the age of 65 but this was because there was some evidence that "older patients" have diminished neural junctions and may demonstrate a diminished response. They were therefore excluded from the initial study approval. However, this does not mean it is less effective.

Botox at age 66

+2
Although the official FDA labelling for Botox is for people 65 and under, it can be (and is often) used as an "off-label" treatment for healthly people over 65.  Provided you don't have any other medical issues that complicate Botox injection, like being on blood thinners, or having certain neurologic disorders, you should be able to have Botox at age 66.

Thomas Fiala, MD

No age limit for Botox injections

+2

There is no age limit for Botox injections. An age 66 is certainly not too old to have Botox.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Botox can be used in patients older than 65 years of age

+2

Botox had been approved by the FDA (Federal Drug Administration) for usage in patients 65 years of age or less. However, this is not because of any increased danger posed to those older and its usage in these individuals is considered to be "off label". Therefore, your age does not present a therapeutic contraindication to receiving Botox.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Botox and age

+2

Botox can be used in patients of your age, but one has to treat carefully to not drop the brows too much.

Is There an Age Limit for Botox Treatments?

+2

Regarding: "I Am 66. Is There an Age Limit for Botox Injections?  I have had botox in the past, just not in last two years. Had only between brows."

Although the safety of Botox was proven for those under 65 years of age, I can assure you that patients MUCH older than 65 years old receive Cosmetic Botox treatments with good results all over the US. The most important factors are to make sure you pick a qualified and knowledgeable Plastic surgeon / Dermatologist to do your Botox.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Botox Over the Age of 65?

+2

Hi Reno.  The proof is in the pudding.  If Botox has gotten you satisfactory results in the past then there is no reason to believe it won't now, as long as you are still a good candidate (anatomically speaking).

Botox is not indicated (FDA approved) for those over the age of 65 because they were excluded from the study.  Try it again and if you like it you have your answer.  There's no reason why you can't still use Botox.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox is timeless

+2

While Allergan and FDA approval list the medication for people up to age 65, Doctors can choose to prescribe this medication as appropriate to patients of any age. That being said, it is the power of the doctor-patient relationship and the experience of the physician to achieve excellent Botox results in all patients. Best of luck to you.

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon