What is a Botox Platinum Provider?

Should I only go to a platium doctor? Do doctors pay to join?

Allergan Platinum Botox Cosmetic

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

Allergan has an incentive program for Botox Cosmetic and other aesthetic product sales that has sales "goals" with associated landmark achievement designations. There is no correlation with volume of product sold and quality of injector. That is a misconception. Some of the busiest injectors in my town have the worse reputations and results when speaking with their clients. Additionally, there is no correlation with price points and skill of injector. To assure a good experience, I advise you find a properly accredited clinician who is experienced and has  a good reputation in the community. 

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Botox Paltinum Level Providers

+2

It is essentially the Mileage Plus program from Allergan to distinguish the volume of Botox purchased by a practice but not necessarily injected by a single individual. Just like any other awards program there are different levels: silver, gold, & platinum to incentivize and create competition. Commonly, at this volume, it is nearly impossible for a single physician to inject that much product and it may represent a group of physicians, physicians assistants clinical nurse practitioners, etc.

Best Botox Injectors

+2

Hi,

A platinum provider physician has ties with their local jeweler and gives platinum jewelery along with their Botox treatments.  Not really.  It just means that the office or clinic uses a lot of Botox.  They may have a group of physicians who buy a lot of product together, or they may discount Botox so that they use large quantities.  The best Botox injectors are not necessarily platinum providers. You need not go to only a platinum provider.  Stay away from Copper providers though.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Doctors pay nothing

+2

Being a Platinum Plus injector means you do a lot of Botox (especially if it is a solo practice and not a group order). The assumption is that if a doctor does a great job, lots of people seek her services and she needs to order a large amount of product.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox platinum provider means they do a lot of it

+2

As a Platinum level provider myself with Calidora Skin Clinics, I can tell you that only 24 practices in the country use enough to be in that category. While everyone injecting Botox should be using a high standard of technique, my belief is that experience counts.

Richard Baxter, MD

Platinum, Diamond, or Black Diamond Botox Provider

+1
Platinum provider is one of several levels of usage of Allergan products. In addition to Platinum there is Double Platinum, Diamond, and the highest level, Black Diamond. My Raleigh plastic surgery practice is a Black Diamond level provider.
We are proud of our Black Diamond status but it is not essential to find a Black Diamond provider to be sure you have an experienced injector with expertise. Do look for a practice that uses Botox every day. Ask about experience and training with Botox A plastic surgery practice with a platinum of higher status of Botox will often have more experience. and expertise using Botox than an office that uses Botox only occasionally. 
Be aware that status can be achieved by multi-location practices, multi-physician groups and even medspa franchises where Botox is distributed to multiple locations or among many physicians so not all Platinum or Black Diamond providers actually use the same amount of Botox

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Platinum Status for Allergan Botox

+1

This simply means that the practice, doctor, or group of doctors purchases a high volume of Botox.  It is not a reflection on their training or experience level with Botox.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Platinum doesn't tell whole story

+1

The Platinum level means that their office buys a lot of Botox from Allergan.  But, buyer beware...it could be a large group (such as a medi-spa) buying a lot of product who attain this level vs an office with a few dermatologists or one plastic surgeon who don't order as much so it does not necessarily correlate with skill or expertise.   It's worth your time to find out what training your Botox injector has had and what his or her background is.   

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Botox Platinum Provider is an "amount of product purchased" designation.

+1

Platinum providers buy a certain (significant) amount of Allergan products, including Botox Cosmetic, Juvederm Ultra (HA filler), Latisse (pharmaceutical for lengthening eyelashes), and Natrelle breast implants. Buying significant amounts of a product does not necessarily correlate with skill or expertise in use of the product, but generally it does, since the more you use for your patients, the better you get at satisfying those patients.

You can think of this as a sort of "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval;" just because a certain brand of toaster, for example, has the GHSof A doesn't guarantee that the particular brand of toaster is "the best," it at least ensures that the toaster meets certain guidelines and has a "reasonable" chance of living up to your expectations. The same is true of Board-Certification, membership in professional societies, and the like!

The short answer to "Should I go only to a Platinum doctor?" (assuming there is a choice among multiple providers) is: "Yes." And the answer to "Do doctors pay to join?" is "No," unless you consider that to achieve a certain level you must purchase a certain amount of product. But, you cannot just pay for Platinum designation.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Allergan (makers of Botox) classifies their accounts into tiers

+1

depending on how much Botox and Juvederm are ordered from them.  Currently the highest level is Diamond Plus, then Diamond etc.. The more Botox and Juvederm a doctor purchases, the higher tier they'll be in. 

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist