Can Botox Be Used to Improve the Appearance of Proptosis in Thyroid Eye Disease?

Botox and Thyroid eye disease.

+2

To the best of my knowledge, botox cannot be used to improve the appearance of proptosis in Thyroid Eye Disease

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/skin-procedures-chicago/injectables/botox/

Proptosis due to thyroid disease usually needs surgery.

+2

I can't think of any action produced by Botox that would correct eye proptosis. This condition usually requires surgery such as an orbital space decompression.

Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Botox and proptosis

+1

Botox will not help proptosis. Proptosis is often caused by too much volume in the bony orbit.  Usually this is addressed by muscle treatment or bony outfracture to increase the orbital volume space.

Botox and proptosis

+1

Proptosis is bulging of the eye anteriorly out of the orbit.  If this is also resulting in lid retraction then botox could be used to cause ptosis (droop of the upper eyelid) which can in effect "mask" or make the bulging eyes less apparent.  I don't think botox would help with lower lid retraction however.  It would be difficult to predict the degree of droop the botox would produce and if it drops so much that it blocks the pupillary axis you would have a difficult time seeing.  This is usually not a recommended method of managing proptosis.   If you are in Birmingham, I would recommend seeing Dr. John Long - an oculoplastic surgeon.

Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for eye shape

+1
I do not see how the globe of the eye can be repositioned by botox injections.If the eyelid muscles are weakened then the forward projection of the eye could be made worse.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.