I Am 65 Yrs. Old; Am I Too Old to Have the Ulthera Procedure?

Age and Ulthera treatment

Ulthera treatment, like Thermage and even surgery, is more successful when treating healthier skin.  Younger skin that is severly damaged from excessive sun exposure, poor diet, or other factors may respond less well than healthy, well cared for skin in an older person.  I believe the quality of the skin is more important than the age of the patient and thus do not have an absolute age cut off when determining if someone is a candidate for Ulthera treatment.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best Candidates for Ultherapy

Its not necessarily an age relevant treatment as much as quality of the skin we're working in and amount of laxity. Its ideal for patients with mild to moderate laxity. Ultherapy can be a very useful tool in improving the tone and quality of tissue. Having a consultation with a provider in your area should help you decide if its the appropriate therapy for you.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Ulthera and Age

Age is less of a factor for Ulthera than skin quality.  Ulthera is ideal for patients with mild to moderate skin laxity.  Patients with younger, healthier skin, without sun damage are more likely to have a more dramatic result due to their increased ability to produce collagen.  An in-person consultation with an experienced provider is the best way to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy: Effective Anti-Aging at any Age.

Patients who are 65 and even older can derive positive results from Ultherapy. It all depends upon the patient’s overall health, as well as his or her skin quality, lifestyle, and degree of skin laxity. Since I have no photo of your and I haven’t examined your skin, I can only say this: If you’ve always taken good care of your skin - using sunscreen and leading a healthy, active lifestyle - you’ll see better results than a 55-year-old whose face reveals sun damage and the signs of ill health.

In short, no one is chronologically too old for Ultherapy. It all depends upon your skin’s condition and your body’s capacity to respond to the ultrasound energy. Consult with an anti-aging specialist about the treatment, and see what he or she recommends.

Hal Michael Bass, MD

Ultherapy at 65

Assessing a patient for Ultherapy has more to do with skin quality , amount of skin laxity and patient expectations NOT chronological age. Patients at age 65 can be successfully treated and I urge you to have a consultation before committing to any procedure Good luck!

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy treatments are appropriate at any age

Ultherapy treatments are appropriate at any age. Physiologic age is more important than chronologic age.

The indication is laxity of the skin and the procedure can be done if you appear to have good dermal collaen content and healing potential.

Read the Ultherapy book provided on the link below.

Age and Ultherapy

It is not so much your chronological age but rather the condition of your skin including amount of pigmentation, prior sun damage, genetics and other factors. For most age 65 should not be a problem.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Age Range for Ultherapy

Chronological age and skin age are not always the same. Someone can have very youthful, toned, and elastic skin at 65 if they used sun protection and a skin care regimen that helped to maintain the quality of their collagen. Premature skin aging from extensive exposure to harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun can be evident in the 30's and 40's in some people. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will give you the opportunity to consider both non-surgical options like Ultherapy and surgical options to determine which approach would work best for you.

Bryan G. Forley, MD

Results seem to better when the skin has an ability to create new collagen, which decreases as we get older. You may want an in person evaluation to assess the quality of your skin.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

I am 65yo. Am I too old for the Ulthera procedure?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks.  This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD