I Am 65 Yrs. Old; Am I Too Old to Have the Ulthera Procedure?

Age and Ulthera treatment

Ulthera treatment, like Thermage and even surgery, is more successful when treating healthier skin.  Younger skin that is severly damaged from excessive sun exposure, poor diet, or other factors may respond less well than healthy, well cared for skin in an older person.  I believe the quality of the skin is more important than the age of the patient and thus do not have an absolute age cut off when determining if someone is a candidate for Ulthera treatment.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ultherapy at 65

Assessing a patient for Ultherapy has more to do with skin quality , amount of skin laxity and patient expectations NOT chronological age. Patients at age 65 can be successfully treated and I urge you to have a consultation before committing to any procedure Good luck!

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy treatments are appropriate at any age

Ultherapy treatments are appropriate at any age. Physiologic age is more important than chronologic age.

The indication is laxity of the skin and the procedure can be done if you appear to have good dermal collaen content and healing potential.

Read the Ultherapy book provided on the link below.

Age and Ultherapy

It is not so much your chronological age but rather the condition of your skin including amount of pigmentation, prior sun damage, genetics and other factors. For most age 65 should not be a problem.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Age Range for Ultherapy

Chronological age and skin age are not always the same. Someone can have very youthful, toned, and elastic skin at 65 if they used sun protection and a skin care regimen that helped to maintain the quality of their collagen. Premature skin aging from extensive exposure to harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun can be evident in the 30's and 40's in some people. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will give you the opportunity to consider both non-surgical options like Ultherapy and surgical options to determine which approach would work best for you.

Bryan G. Forley, MD

Results seem to better when the skin has an ability to create new collagen, which decreases as we get older. You may want an in person evaluation to assess the quality of your skin.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

I am 65yo. Am I too old for the Ulthera procedure?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks.  This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Yes, you can have Ultherapy if you are 65 years old. As we age we lose elasticity, so it depends on the laxity and sagging of your skin. Each patient is different regardless of age but your expectations need to be realistic. You can be 40 years old and have had a lot of sun exposure and have damaged skin or you can be 70 years old and have minimal sun damage and not too severe laxity. We have treated patients in their late sixties that do not want to have plastic surgery and they have had great results. The best way to tell if you are a candidate for Ulthera is to consult with an Ultherapy expert.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

65, too old for ultherapy

Hello, thank you for your information.  It really depends on the skins elasticity.  Some patients we have treated were in the early 70's.  If you go in for a consultation with an ultherapy expert, they should be honest with you about your best options for the results you're trying to receive.  

Ultherapy at 65

Someone 65 years young can most certainly have the Ulthera procedure done.  It will take longer to see your end results and I would recommend 2 procedures spaced 2-3 months apart to get an optimal correction.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD