Age 57 - Hanging Frown Lines on Sides of Mouth

The frown lines make my whole mouth look like a big frown. People say I look unhappy when I just feel normal. I have to pull the sides of my mouth up (feels like i'm smiling) just for my mouth to look like a straight line. This is difficult to remember to do all day long at work! I look like a miserably unhappy person, which really puts people off. It's far from attractive & completely belies what I'm feeling on the inside! Can this be fixed without spending my life savings?!?

Sagging arounf the mouth

The best treatment for saggin tissue around the mouth is often a  facelift and sometimes combined with facial fillers.

Meet with a surgeon to decide what's best for you...

It’s not unusual for patients to develop marionette lines during facial aging. When these lines are minimal they can often be treated with injectable fillers. When these lines are more severe and accompanied by redundant saggy skin surgical intervention may be necessary. It’s important to understand that none of these solutions are permanent. In other words we’re able to set the clock back, but never stop the clock from ticking.
In someone who is 57 years old, redundant facial skin is often present. Under these circumstances it’s impossible to make a recommendation without a physical examination or pictures. This recommendation will depend upon the patients’ physical findings and aesthetic goals. In some cases facelift surgery will be indicated.
If you have deep marionette lines it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for your condition.

Fillers, Botox and Plastic Surgery

Fillers would certainly be a relatively inexpensive way to remedy this common cosmetic problem. Thus, you might try this first and if not satisfied, or as the problem worsens, seek plastic surgery as a more permanent correction.

Perlane, a more intense form of Restylane, is effective in this area as is Radiesse. Medicis is presently running a special ( good until the end of the year), with a $150 rebate on two syringes.

This affect can be augmented with 2-4 units of Botox placed into the Depressor Anguli Oris ( DAO) muscle.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Sagging around mouth and jaw

When mild this sagging can be addressed by injection of a filler. The cost is in the hundreds depending on the type of filler and amount used. More severe sagging will require a more aggressive surgical approach. Without a photo I could not speculate which would be better for you or even if both is an option. If the skin pinch in front of your ears required to correct it is more than 1cm then surgery is your best option.

Aaron Stone, MD

Ugly Frown lines on the corners of the mouth are easily corrected with Radiesse.

The ugly frown lines on the corners of the mouth are easily corrected with radiesse to bring them up for about $630 and lasts about a yr.  It is a quick and easy fix.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon