Can You Smoke and Get Dermal Fillers?

I am trying to quit but am stuck at 1-2 a day. However, I am wondering if it normal for people who smoke to receive restylane, juvederm, botox, etc. Please let me know if this is fine. Thank you, Deni

Fillers and Smoking

+3

I have several patients that smoke and do well with fillers. In my opinion, the results do not last as long as they do in the nonsmokers.  Unlike surgery, incisional healing is not of concern.  Perhaps having the filler placed will help you to quit completely.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patients who smoke get fillers all the time and do great.

+3

Smoking is not a contraindication to getting fillers and botox.  It is done all the time and without problems usually.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Smoking and fillers

+1

Smoking itself can cause more facial depression lines especially aorund the mouth.  It can also impact wound healing.  You can have fillers but be wary of the risks associated with smoking.

Smoking and Anti-Aging

+1

It is fine to receive fillers whle smoking but smoking has been gnerally associated with premature aging of the skin so it seems somewhat contradictory.

Smoking and Wrinkle Fillers

+1
Smoking is NOT a contraindications to having Filler (Restylane, Juvederm etc) treatments. We all have patients who smoke who receive Botox and filler treatments. However, there is NO doubt that smoking ages and thins your skin and this is only made much worse if you throw in sun exposure, or worse tanning bed exposure. So, if you REALLY want to improve your skin greatly, knock off the smoking. Save the money and spend it on a nice thing for yourself. Dr. Peter Aldea

Why bother with fillers if you smoke?

+1

As has been said, smoking is not a contradiciion to fillers like it is in surgery but since smokers wrinkle and purse their lips more than others, why bother with expensive fillers until you quit smoking???

Fillers in Patients Who Smoke

+1

There is no contraindication to treatments with fillers while you are an active smoker. However, your risk of bruising and swelling is greater.  Good luck with your efforts at smoking cessation.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.