Choosing Between 500 and 550cc Breast Implants

I'm 5 ft 2 in 150 pounds, I am a small A cup now and have tuberous breast so I'm getting a lift. I can't pick between 500 or 550 Im and getting Mentor moderate plus silicone. HELP ME!!!!

Implant Selection Process

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Large Breast Implants + Petite Woman = "Done" result with 100% rapid Sagging

The difference between 500 and 550 cc is NOT worth worrying about. What is worth reconsidering is your decision to have large implants put in.

From your description, it is highly unlikely that your have the breast and chest soft tissue available to cover implants of these dimensions. As a result, your breasts WILL appear "done" and show the rippling of the underlying, uncovered breast implants. In addition, the implants will make their way to the sides of the chest where would bump against your arms as they move forward and would be associated with breast thinning and rapid sagging. If you are hell bound to get these implants, pick the smaller ones.

I would strongly advise you to get a second opinion and ask the surgeon, if you were his daughter what implants would he use in you.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

500cc vs 550cc - Very Little Difference

The difference between 500cc and 550cc is realtively small once the implant is in place.  I doubt you would really know the difference between thetwo once they were placed.  You should discuss this with your surgeon, and he/she should be the final arbitrator on implant size.  Their job is to find what is going to work best for you, limit your complications, and help you achieve youir final goal.  Sometimes this clashes with what a patient desires in implant size, but the surgeon's job is to assess everything and come up with a good size.  I would let your surgeon make the final decision.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067

Tuberous breasts and large implants

I would be hesistant to put such large implants in a patient with tuberous breasts if you really have a tight lower pole. The implants will more than likely not be ablt to correct this problem. You are probably better off with smaller implants and then later on perhaps a year later go up in volume.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

500 and 550cc breast implants

No photos hard to advise. But I agree with the "double bubble" effect is very likely to happen. See more opinions to determine either staging the surgeries and implant size.

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Tuberous aka Tubular (constricted) breasts and large implants: Beware the the double bubble

A 50cc difference is not a significant difference in size and it is very likely that you would not notice the difference. That having been said, this large of an implant in an individual or your height with tuberous breasts is highly prone to a double bubble type deformity and I would discuss your implant choice and diameter with the surgeon.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Choosing implant size with tuberous breast

Before you make up your mind about size, first determine the kind of look you want. 

What kind of cleavage?  See the link below for a post on the influence different cleavages have on the look of your breasts. Tuberous breasts have a narrow base, so you should consider an implant with a wider base, i.e. moderate versus high profile.

Secondly, make sure you get a lift with minimal scarring. A periareolar scar should be more than enough. See the link below for an example

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

1300 Bellona Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21093

550 vs 500

The difference is mainly seen in the diameter of the breast that will give you fuller cleavage, and more prominence to the side of the chest.  Also, larger implants will be fuller front to back, and also in the up and down dimension.

You may want to consider spltting the difference at 525 cc's

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

500 vs 550 cc breast implants - how to choose

First of all, your surgeon should make the final recommendation of which of these is best based on your anatomy and measurements and their experience and take the pressure off you.  Secondly, there is barely any difference between these implants once you get up to that size.  In other words, from 200 to 250 is a big difference but not so much from 500 to 550.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Implant size in the tuberous breast

It is not uncommon in my practice here in Las Vegas to use larger implants but that seems large for your frame especially with a tuberous breast. When it gets right down to it though, there isn't all that much difference with 50cc, especially in a larger implant. I would suggest ou talk with your plastic surgeon about the size implant and the degree of tightness of the lower part of your breast.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

8530 W Sunset Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89113