Breasts Too Far Apart After Implants - Will They Get Closer with Time?

My breast augmentation was 2 weeks ago and my breasts seem to be in my armpits. Will they settle closer over time? I was a 30A. I got 250 saline implants under the muscle. They're extremely far apart and no possibility to for cleavage. I squeeze my breasts together to fit into a bra. I want my implants out, but am told they're likely to look better over time. My gut tells me to get rid of them. What is your opinion?

Breast Implants Too Far Apart

It is difficult to make an assessment without images. If the implants are centred on the nipples then they are likely in the correct position. Ultimately the positioning of the implants is dictated by your nipple and breast position on the chest wall prior to surgery. If they are have migrated towards the armpits you should review with your plastic surgeon. 
Dr Guy Watts

Perth Plastic Surgeon

136 Railway Street
Perth, Western Australia 6011

Revision Should Be Delayed

The vast majority of patients who have poor cleavage have widely spaced nipple areola complexes.Many of these patients also have laterally sloping chest walls.Under these circumstances, it’s almost impossible to obtain cleavage with a breast augmentation procedure.
Attempts to move the implants in an inward direction can result in secondary deformities.In some cases, this might result in the nipple areola complex setting on the lateral breast surface.
In this situation, it’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation without pre- and postoperative pictures and a physical examination.If there is a correctable problem, revisional surgery should be delayed for three to six months.At this time, it would be easier to make aesthetic judgments, as well.
It’s important to maintain good communication with your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to address your concerns and formulate an appropriate treatment plan, if this should prove necessary.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Cleavage depends on your natural breast positioning

Post-operative cleavage will depend on your pre-surgery cleavage. You have wide-set breasts, which means you'll probably continue to have wide-set breasts after surgery. However, while you may have a bit of improvement, it may not be as much as you want. Unfortunately, your surgeon can only do so much to give you cleavage before it looks abnormal, since the implants have to remain centred underneath your nipples.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Implants wide

I doubt that the implants if they are wide now will improve but the swelling will go down and the tissue will soften.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Implants too far apart

The short answer is that if the implants were not sized and placed in the proper position they are not going to move or heal into the proper position. As was pointed out in other answers, the implant does not move the breast but must be placed like a pillow behind it and properly centered relative to the nipple and inframammary crease. If the breasts were "too far apart" before the procedure, they will not be moved to the proper position by an implant. If the breasts are in the proper position and the implants are too far lateral, then the breasts will look farther apart but the problem is the implant. 

I would agree with Dr. Rand that at least 3 months are needed to let things settle and then consider a revision if the implant is not placed properly. It is very difficult to correct implants that are healed too far laterally. The simplest solution is much wider implants with space opened on the medial side but this has to be weighed against the overall increased size of the resulting breast. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

400 S McCaslin Blvd
Boulder, CO 80303

Wide nipples prior to surgery equals widely spaced breasts after surgery

In many instances this is a reflection of the appearance of the breasts prior to surgery. It reflects widely displaced nipples in an individual with a conservative breast implant that is unable to achieve sufficient "cleavage". Attempting to move the implants closer together can create a very unnatural appearance with the nipples located off the center of the implant mound.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

"Breasts SEEM to be in my armpits"

In Breast Augmentation, the implants MUST be placed under the nipples. Placing the implants too close to each other will result with sideways pointing nipples, placing them too far sideways with cross eyed nipples and loo low with "star gazing" nipples.

Some breast augmentation techniques lend themselves to implant misplacement. Using the breast fold incision especially with heavy implants, weakens the fold resulting in the implants bottoming out and nipples "star gazing". Using the through the armpit (transaxillary) incision, sometimes makes the side pocket and area leading to the armpit too wide with implants then going there.

Speak with your surgeon and wait at least 6-8 weeks before making any decisions. Things may improve by then.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

After breast augmentation, unlikely to have breasts move closer over time

If an augmentation was performed well the implant should be centered on the nipple with a good marriage between the implant and breast. They should look and feel as one. Occasionally we see individuals who will have a wider chest and broad breast bone. There is no way to position the implant closer in and have it look right. The implant should settle into the breast after augmentation as skin relaxes, however it is very unlikely that the implant will move in on the chest. The implant will stay where the surgeon put it. If the implants are indeed in your armpits and you are having trouble getting into a bra you should see another surgeon. If your breast is how you say it is then things are not quite right.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Breasts too far apart after implants - closer with time

In my opinion without you posting photos NO!  If you are already complaining about the lack of cleavage after only 2 weeks I do not see how it will improve. The causes are your anatomic chest shape or the breasts themselves in a wide appearance, or the surgeon made the pocket to laterally.

Sorry From MIAMI DR. B

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Breast augmentation at 2 weeks

It is too soon to tell but you should address these concerns with your surgeon.  Given 3-4 months the tissues will settle and relax and you might actually be happy.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004