Breasts Too Far Apart After Implants - Will They Get Closer with Time?

My breast augmentation was 2 weeks ago and my breasts seem to be in my armpits. Will they settle closer over time? I was a 30A. I got 250 saline implants under the muscle. They're extremely far apart and no possibility to for cleavage. I squeeze my breasts together to fit into a bra. I want my implants out, but am told they're likely to look better over time. My gut tells me to get rid of them. What is your opinion?

Cleavage depends on your natural breast positioning

+1
Post-operative cleavage will always be determined by the natural distance that exists between the inner edges of a woman's breasts and the distance between her nipples. When performing breast augmentation, although he can cheat the implants closer together a small amount, your surgeon must centre the implants more or less beneath the nipples. Placing them elsewhere will lead to an unnatural appearance. This means that patients will have cleavage similar to their natural state even after their augmentation results become visible.

While it's a myth that implants will always create noticeable cleavage some women may see improvement if they have an average chest wall size. Just the same, your surgeon cannot guarantee enhanced cleavage for every one of his patients since personal anatomy varies between every person.

Implants wide

+1

I doubt that the implants if they are wide now will improve but the swelling will go down and the tissue will soften.

Implants too far apart

+1

The short answer is that if the implants were not sized and placed in the proper position they are not going to move or heal into the proper position. As was pointed out in other answers, the implant does not move the breast but must be placed like a pillow behind it and properly centered relative to the nipple and inframammary crease. If the breasts were "too far apart" before the procedure, they will not be moved to the proper position by an implant. If the breasts are in the proper position and the implants are too far lateral, then the breasts will look farther apart but the problem is the implant. 

I would agree with Dr. Rand that at least 3 months are needed to let things settle and then consider a revision if the implant is not placed properly. It is very difficult to correct implants that are healed too far laterally. The simplest solution is much wider implants with space opened on the medial side but this has to be weighed against the overall increased size of the resulting breast. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Wide nipples prior to surgery equals widely spaced breasts after surgery

+1

In many instances this is a reflection of the appearance of the breasts prior to surgery. It reflects widely displaced nipples in an individual with a conservative breast implant that is unable to achieve sufficient "cleavage". Attempting to move the implants closer together can create a very unnatural appearance with the nipples located off the center of the implant mound.

"Breasts SEEM to be in my armpits"

+1

In Breast Augmentation, the implants MUST be placed under the nipples. Placing the implants too close to each other will result with sideways pointing nipples, placing them too far sideways with cross eyed nipples and loo low with "star gazing" nipples.

Some breast augmentation techniques lend themselves to implant misplacement. Using the breast fold incision especially with heavy implants, weakens the fold resulting in the implants bottoming out and nipples "star gazing". Using the through the armpit (transaxillary) incision, sometimes makes the side pocket and area leading to the armpit too wide with implants then going there.

Speak with your surgeon and wait at least 6-8 weeks before making any decisions. Things may improve by then.

After breast augmentation, unlikely to have breasts move closer over time

+1

If an augmentation was performed well the implant should be centered on the nipple with a good marriage between the implant and breast. They should look and feel as one. Occasionally we see individuals who will have a wider chest and broad breast bone. There is no way to position the implant closer in and have it look right. The implant should settle into the breast after augmentation as skin relaxes, however it is very unlikely that the implant will move in on the chest. The implant will stay where the surgeon put it. If the implants are indeed in your armpits and you are having trouble getting into a bra you should see another surgeon. If your breast is how you say it is then things are not quite right.

peterejohnsonmd

Breasts too far apart after implants - closer with time

+1

In my opinion without you posting photos NO!  If you are already complaining about the lack of cleavage after only 2 weeks I do not see how it will improve. The causes are your anatomic chest shape or the breasts themselves in a wide appearance, or the surgeon made the pocket to laterally.

Sorry From MIAMI DR. B

Breast augmentation at 2 weeks

+1

It is too soon to tell but you should address these concerns with your surgeon.  Given 3-4 months the tissues will settle and relax and you might actually be happy.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS