Can I get 50 units of botox every 10 weeks?

Is it ok to get 50 units of botox, for my forehead and crows feet, injected every 10 weeks? Is this too often as far as safety and will I develop an immunity to botox by being injected this often?

Botox every 10 weeks

+1
The product recommendation is every 3 months. If you have a high metabolism or intense training workouts, your results may not last as long. If movement to the areas is starting to return then additional Botox may be injected. Regarding immunity, it's still unclear if or how its occurs.  

50 Units of Botox Every 10 Weeks

+1
Thank you for your question – I would want to know first why would you be receiving 50 units of Botox every 10 weeks – is this for a cosmetic indication or a medically necessary indication. Many thanks!

Brian Coan, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
Botox usually lasts 3-4 months, if the result from your treatment is wearing off too quickly I suggest trying Xeomin or Dysport 

How often can I get Botox

+1
It isn't unsafe to do it this often, but I might ask why. There is a chance you might want to do more than the 50 units, like up to 75 units, and that may last longer. I have a few personal trainer patients, and some male patients, who do require more units. But when I do the 75 units it will last them up to about 4 months. So it might be a dosing issue for you rather than an issue of frequency.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

If you need Botox that often, you may be developing resistance to the Botox and may do better with Dysport or Xeomin

+1
Some people develop resistance to Botox.  If you really need 50 units every ten weeks, you may want to try Drysport or Xeomin to see if it will last longer for you.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox every ten weeks?

+1
Usually Botox lasts about 4 months  but some people metabolize it a bit quicker than others.  I find it more common in personal trainers.

Should I Get Botox 50 units Every 10 Weeks?

+1
Botox usually lasts 3 and a half to 4 months, so it may be wearing off a little visibly by 10 weeks.  If you wanted complete immobility and could actually see it was wearing off you could supplement it. It probably would not require anything like 50 units to do that. No particular concern from safety standpoint. Anecdotally, some patients who use Botox for several years, regularly, report to me that they need less and need it less often, probably from some atrophy of the muscle. 

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Frequency of Botox injections

+1
Consider this:  Use Botox for effect desired.  Don't lock in to a dosage schedule or time table.  Watch your face for unwanted activity.  When fine lines or wrinkling begins to become noticeable, retreat with the appropriate unit dose.  It has been very infrequent that I have seen diminishment of Botox activity over a protracted treatment program.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Botox

+1
heygirly74-

Botox can last 4-6 months, I would not waste your money getting it done more frequently. I would find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your questions. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Botox every 10 weeks

+1
what on earth for?  technically it is possible to build antibodies to botulinum toxin  or Botox but I think the real question is to decide whether or not you are really gaining anything cosmetically from this.  There are patients who use Botox for medical purposes such as hyperhidrosis and tension headaches who receive a similar dose with greater than normal frequency and those patients do fine from a medical or safety standpoint.  I'm just not sure what advantage you would have when receiving injections that often.  You should definitely consider a few and person consultations.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon