Am I a good candidate for jaw line softening/reduction with botox? (photo)

What are the possible side effects for the procedure? I've heard that some people get paralysis near the mouth.

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.
The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If they have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.

Botox for jawline

Botox/Dysport/Xeomin can all be used safely (off-label) to treat enlarged masseters, the powerful muscles we use for chewing. People with masseter hypertrophy (enlarged masseters) may complain of clenching, tooth grinding, and headaches, and tend to have a square jaw that causes an imbalance in facial features. Treating  these muscles with Botox can be very effective not only in reducing clenching and tooth grinding, but also softens and recontours the jawline. A typical dose of Botox is 20 units per side but can vary depending on the size and strength of the muscles. As with any Botox/Dysport/Xeomin treatment, make sure you see a highly trained and experienced injector. I have had this treatment done and have been very pleased with the results.

Vivian Bucay, MD, FAAD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for jaw line softening/reduction with botox?

Yes! But you need a true BOTOX injecting doctor - only. I use 25 units per side in two separate sessions. Cost $1,000. 

Soften your Jaw Line with Botox

Botox injections can now be administered to significantly soften the jaw line, leading to a significant reduction in the appearance of a square jaw. In fact, Botox, Dysport or Xeomin can be specifically injected into the masseter muscles on the face. These muscles are contribute the the square, angled appearance of the face. With this technique, it is possible to decrease the size and severity of the jaw. The side effects are minimal Very seldom someone will complain of difficulty chewing. You can also get some asymmetry, but this can usually be corrected with a touch up.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Jawline softening with Botox

You should get some significant improvement with Botox/Dysport/Xeomin. I just did a sixteen year old for her tooth grinding who had a really square jaw. Much to my surprise there was a huge change in the faces shape.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Jawline tapering after masseter reduction with Botox

Based on your picture, it does appear you could achieve a nice result with Botox for masseter reduction.  The fullness at the angles of your jaw could be softened, creating a more tapered jawline.  

While side effects are possible, choosing a physician experienced with this injection technique will minimize the risk of complications.  The most common "side effect" I've observed is feeling tired more quickly when chewing for extended periods.  For example, if you chew gum all day, your jaw may become tired more quickly than it normally does.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Candidate for jawline reduction

You are an excellent candidate for jawline reduction.  Softening your masseter muscles on both sides would, in my estimate, require about 30 to 50 units of botox per side, depending on the aesthetic of what your are seeking.  I would recommend starting with the lower dose and waiting for about a month for the results to take effect.  Remember that using Botox for face contouring (in this case, decreasing the size of the masseter muscles) will take more time than just simply using it for erasing the frown lines.  The higher the dose of botox used, the more heart shaped your face will appear.

Hope this helps.

Tatiana Khrom, MD