Am I a good candidate for jaw line softening/reduction with botox? (photo)

What are the possible side effects for the procedure? I've heard that some people get paralysis near the mouth.

Botox for jawline

+1
Botox/Dysport/Xeomin can all be used safely (off-label) to treat enlarged masseters, the powerful muscles we use for chewing. People with masseter hypertrophy (enlarged masseters) may complain of clenching, tooth grinding, and headaches, and tend to have a square jaw that causes an imbalance in facial features. Treating  these muscles with Botox can be very effective not only in reducing clenching and tooth grinding, but also softens and recontours the jawline. A typical dose of Botox is 20 units per side but can vary depending on the size and strength of the muscles. As with any Botox/Dysport/Xeomin treatment, make sure you see a highly trained and experienced injector. I have had this treatment done and have been very pleased with the results.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for jaw line softening/reduction with botox?

+1
Yes! But you need a true BOTOX injecting doctor - only. I use 25 units per side in two separate sessions. Cost $1,000. 

Soften your Jaw Line with Botox

+1
Botox injections can now be administered to significantly soften the jaw line, leading to a significant reduction in the appearance of a square jaw. In fact, Botox, Dysport or Xeomin can be specifically injected into the masseter muscles on the face. These muscles are contribute the the square, angled appearance of the face. With this technique, it is possible to decrease the size and severity of the jaw. The side effects are minimal Very seldom someone will complain of difficulty chewing. You can also get some asymmetry, but this can usually be corrected with a touch up.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Jawline softening with Botox

+1
You should get some significant improvement with Botox/Dysport/Xeomin. I just did a sixteen year old for her tooth grinding who had a really square jaw. Much to my surprise there was a huge change in the faces shape.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Jawline tapering after masseter reduction with Botox

+1
Based on your picture, it does appear you could achieve a nice result with Botox for masseter reduction.  The fullness at the angles of your jaw could be softened, creating a more tapered jawline.  

While side effects are possible, choosing a physician experienced with this injection technique will minimize the risk of complications.  The most common "side effect" I've observed is feeling tired more quickly when chewing for extended periods.  For example, if you chew gum all day, your jaw may become tired more quickly than it normally does.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Candidate for jawline reduction

+1
You are an excellent candidate for jawline reduction.  Softening your masseter muscles on both sides would, in my estimate, require about 30 to 50 units of botox per side, depending on the aesthetic of what your are seeking.  I would recommend starting with the lower dose and waiting for about a month for the results to take effect.  Remember that using Botox for face contouring (in this case, decreasing the size of the masseter muscles) will take more time than just simply using it for erasing the frown lines.  The higher the dose of botox used, the more heart shaped your face will appear.

Hope this helps.

Tatiana Khrom, MD