450cc High Profile Recommended For A 5'8 140LB Athletic Frame with AA Cup To Be A D Cup? (photo)

I am 5'8" 140 lbs athletic frame. I am considering 450cc High profile silicone implants under the muscle. I am AA cup now and have breastfed 2 children. I want to be full chested (D cup) without looking top heavy or disproportional. I like projection without the huge round flat look. I have a smaller ribcage my plastic surgeon said. I am wondering If I need to go larger or smaller to get the look I want. I just don't want to make a mistake.

Cup size

+4

I think that 400 cc implants should be about right for a D cup and is what I would recommend.  However, be aware that cup size is often subjective and different surgeons may recommend different sizes.  Look at their photos and ask what size implants were used in the patients whose photos you like.

Best Breast Implants For Me?

+4

Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, the next step would be  to communicate your goals  carefully with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “projection” or "D” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Your breast tissue can not support 450cc implant

+3

If you want to have the most natural look and least amount of stretching, smaller implants will work better. Your breast tissue and breast base may support 325 cc. The problem with larger implants are thinning of the breast tissue,rippling,bottoming out and fake look.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Large High Profile Implants

+3

It is definitely not recommended that you get 450 cc HP implants. Of course, a true face to face physical exam should be performed.  However, based on your stated measurements and your photo, I can tell you that at the very least, you will have visible rippling due to the size and profile of the implant causing severe stretching of your already thin tissues.  Although I am less certain, implant malposition and/or double bubble deformity of the lower pole might occur too.

The problem is a misconception on your part, fostered by other women and 'cosmetic surgeons', that you can pick any size you want, like your decision to go from an A to a D. Unfortunately, making such a size change is unreasonable, and likely to cause problems that will lead to re-operation and regret.

Choice of implant should not be made by the patient.  A patient may have, and should express her goals, but they should only be factored into implant selection after determining the ideal implant size based on anatomic measurements made during the consultation.  A thorough understanding that nationally there is a 25% risk of complications leading to reaoperation in 3 years, almost entirely due to improper implant selection, is critical before allowing the patient to make her implant request.  Choosing the appropriate implant size will decrease the risk of complications and re-operation to 2.5%.

I recommend you have a consultation with Dr. Grant Fairbanks in Salt Lake City. He will discuss with you these things in more detail, allowing you to make more informed decisions.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What size breast implant to get from an A to a D cup?

+3

You have very little breast tissue and a small frame. Your breast width is the most important to determine the ideal implant. Because of your frame size you may require a high profile or extra high profile implant. A cup size is aproximately 150-200 cc's. I like to use the Vectra 3D system with my patients so that they can visualize their results with different implants before the actual surgery.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

A to D Cup - what size is right?

+3

From your photos, you have little breast tissue to cover an implant, especially a high profile one. You could possibly handle the 450 cc implant but this can only be determined by an in-person consultation and measurements. The best recipe for success is communication with your doctor and often using photographs to help further demonstrate your desired outcome. All of this must be understood in relation to your overall shape and body type. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

The best implant size for your frame

+3

What most plastic surgeons use to determine the correct implant for you is to take a series of measurements which help guide us in addition to the rest of the physical exam. The width of your breast is an important measurement that we should stay close to within the boundaries of. You have a thin frame and thin tissues but certainly nothing takes the place of an in-person exam with measurements. I would suggest you ask your plastic surgeon this question and perhaps place the implants in a sports bra and then view yourself in the mirror. This is no promise of size but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

450cc High Profile Recommended For A 5'8 140LB Athletic Frame

+2

While the recommendation of your surgeon may be appropropriate to meet your objectives, 450cc high profile implants may look unnatural on your athletic frame. The only way to verify is with an in person consultation and exam. Consult in person with 2 - 3 additional board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

How big will my breast implants look?

+2

Size preference is so individualized I don't think that any plastic surgeon can tell you what size you will be happy in without extensive sizing in advance.  Measurements and trying on implants can only get you so far.  If you are a visual person, try a 3D Vectra analysis to "see" what 450 cc will do on your frame.  I have been using it for 2 years and am amazed everyday how valuable it is in communication and sizing.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD