Should You Get Surgery on Both Breasts if Only One Has Capsular Contracture? (photo)

I have 450cc silicone implants under the muscle and my surgery was Aug11. I was wondering when i get my revision surgery should i get surgery on both breasts so they heal the same as opposed to getting surgery on one breast.The possibility of them being uneven Im sure can happen. Should I get a new set of breasts. I noticed CC in November 11 and was prescribed Singulair. In my pictures the left breast is the highest and the one with CC.

Should I have a revision on both breasts for a Capsular Contraction?

+1

Excellent Question, unfortunately we are not exactly sure what causes the increased scarring, but I would recommend revisionary surgery on the left and not the right. I would recommend exchanging the left implant with a new one unless there was a post-operative complication that led to the contracture, i.e. such as bleeding or unusual swelling. Many speculate that a subclinical infection is the cause of the increased scar tissue and the implant needs to be replaced. Removal of the scar tissue with an implant exchange does not guarantee a scar free result but would give you the best chance for symmetry, Good luck!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral capsular contracture

+1

The photo you provided nicely demonstrates the asymmetry of your breasts as a result of the left sided capsular contraction. Perfect symmetry may not result from any surgery, but if the right side is soft then I would likely only perform surgery on the left breast.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture. Surgery on one or both sides???

+1

Neither option, that is surgery on one side or  both, will guarantee symmetry. Obviously you have had surgery on both sides, and you are not symmetric now.

It is not easy to tell from these photos, but it appears to me that the right breast also has a contracture, albeit less so than the left one. If that is so, I would recommend treating the capsular contracture on both sides. However, the I am mistaken and the right side is soft, I would only treat the contracted left side. Do discuss this with your surgeon. 

Normal breast can be left alone when treating capsular contracture of the other.

+1

Hi.

Your right breast looks fine, you seem happy with it, and the implant is less than a year old.  So I would just do a revision breast augmentation of the left breast.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)