Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants... at the Same Time?

I Am a 42 Yr. Old Mom of 3 Children Who Has Lost 107 Pounds with Exercise & Clean Eating. As a Result of the Weight Loss, I Have no fat tissue left in my breasts, loose abdominal skin,(but hardcore abs underneath), loose skin on thighs & arms Is it safe for me to undergo a tummy tuck, brachioplasty,thigh lift and breast implants all at the same time? I am 5'1", and weight 120 pounds and in excellent health, no meds or illnesses. Alternatively, I am considering the tummy tuck done first. Since I am a personal trainer, how long can I expect to be out of work after just the tummy tuck?

Combining multiple surgeries such as tummy tuck, breast implants, thigh lift

+2

Generally it is not the number of procedures, especially if they involve only skin that is the issue in safety. The bigger factor is how long will it take? If it takes under six hours this combination seems safe. If on the other hand it would take eight or nine, I would recommend breaking it up. It depends on the amount of surgery done and the surgeons operating speed. If you do adjust the tummy tuck you would be out of work for 7 to 10 days in my practice. However that means going back as an encouraging personal trainer not a demonstrating personal trainer. That will probably take one month before you can do heavy physical exercise.

Web reference: http://www.drkmd.com/body

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Safety of doing Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants at the Same Time

+2

Regarding: "Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants... at the Same Time?

I Am a 42 Yr. Old Mom of 3 Children Who Has Lost 107 Pounds with Exercise & Clean Eating. As a Result of the Weight Loss, I Have no fat tissue left in my breasts, loose abdominal skin,(but hardcore abs underneath), loose skin on thighs & arms Is it safe for me to undergo a tummy tuck, brachioplasty,thigh lift and breast implants all at the same time? I am 5'1", and weight 120 pounds and in excellent health, no meds or illnesses. Alternatively, I am considering the tummy tuck done first. Since I am a personal trainer, how long can I expect to be out of work after just the tummy tuck
?"

Physically speaking, a Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants CAN be done at the the same time. But, just because such a marathon surgery can be done (and is profitable for the surgeon) does not mean you should have it done this way.

Separating large Plastic Surgery projects into smaller surgery parcels, or staging the procedures, is much more comfortable to the patient and is associated with a much faster recovery. It allows the surgeon to do touch up corrections, if needed, on the areas previously operated. But MOST importantly, it greatly reduces the risk of complications, especially infection and blood clot formation (DVT and PE) seen with longer procedures.

I would suggest you think about having the Tummy Tuck and Breast lift/Augmentation as the first procedure and allow it to heal. you can then have the other procedures done in the order that best suites you.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Combining plastic surgery procedures

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Combining plastic surgery procedures is great when it's done right as this helps with recovery times, anesthesia exposure, and costs.  However, it's important to be safe.  Doing too many things all at once can increase your operative risks.  As everyone is different, check with your plastic surgeon to see how many of the procedures can be done at the same time safely.  If you don't have a lot of extra skin, then you may be able to do everything.  Yet, you may want to anticipate having to stage your procedures into 2 or even 3 stages.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Body Contouring After Weight Loss - Multiple Procedures Safe?

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss!  You ask a very important question.  There are many procedures that can be done to help contour areas after weight loss to treat the excess skin.  When I evaluate a patient for these procedures, I first review their medical history to assess their overall health status.  If a patient is very healthy, then they can be a candidate for multiple procedures.  Now, the next big question is which procedures.  Well, this depends on your priorities.  I always ask my patients to prioritize their goals - essentially triage the areas that are most important to them. I generally will develop an operative plan that may include multiple procedures but strive to keep the operative plan approx. less than 8 hours.  There is nothing wrong with staging procedures.  Smaller operative times usually expedite recoveries and also help to contain cost.  Remember, you can come back and fight another day.   But it looks like your priority is the tummy area.   For patients who have lost the amount of weight you have experienced - I will generally recommend an extended tummy tuck vs circumferential body lift. Since you are  personal trainer who is on her feet and working with your clients, I would recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for apprx 5 weeks.   Please visit with a ASPS member surgeon to learn more about your options.

Happy Holidays!

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Staging is the way to go...

+2

I have to agree with many of the sentiments here that you are doing too much. I have had ladies wanting to have just 2 of them at the same time, who for one reason or another split them up and later told me that the tummy tuck by itself was a lot to handle. If you need brest lifts in addition to implants, that is a 3 hour procedure. Add a tummy tuck and you are up to 6 hours. And ou are going to be in significant discomfort. We usually limit what we do to 6 hours. Pretty much any 2 you have listed would be 5 to 6 hours.  I just did a straight breast augmentation and tummy tuck today, it took 4 hours.  Combining procedures is a lot of surgery and definitely not for everyone.

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Stages

+1

Generally, you will be better off to have the Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants performed in stages. The tummy tuck and breast implants can be performed first. The arm lift and thigh lift can follow - generally four to six months later. If you have just the tummy tuck, you can resume light activities within a week to 2 weeks with more strenuous activities 4 - 6 weeks after surgery.

Combining procedures

+1

Combining all those procedures sounds like a lot. You  may be better off staging some of them to decrease you overall OR time and potential blood loss.

Multiple Procedures and Plastic Surgery

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  That's awesome!  Plastic surgery certainly can address you areas of concern but to perform all these procedures is not advisable!  In patient's who have had massive weight loss a definitive plan needs to be formulated.  Sometimes two procedures that are close in proximity can be performed or it is okay to perform procedures individually.  If you have your tummy tuck done first then expect 4-6 weeks before vigorous activity can be performed.  Good Luck!!

Dr. ES

Tummy tuck, arm lift, thigh lift & breast implants after weight loss = 2 surgery sessions

+1

You are certainly to be commended for your dramatic weight loss and the surgical correction of your redundant tissue will be icing on the cake. I would stage the procedures into two sessions. I generally perform the breast and abdomen together and then the arms and thighs 3-6 months later. This allows me to keep the thigh lift incisions close to the incision for the abdominoplasty in the inguinal area. Even though you are in excellent health, performing that much surgery in one sitting creates a greater chance for significant complications as opposed to spreading them across two sessions. It also allows for any minor revisions to be performed during the second procedure (if needed of course). In summation, I think it’s worth the wait to get it right given all that you have accomplished thus far.

Web reference: http://www.delucaplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body-contouring/

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

i don't believe in combining too many operations.  a tummy tuck and breast implants is OK, but any more, i would discourage.  the others should be done separately, because you may need full use of your arms for the thigh lift.

getting back to a regular work-out schedule will take anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.