What Should Be my BMI to Have a Tummy Tuck?

Ideal BMI for Tummy Tuck

There is no perfect BMI.   However, BMI is not insignificant.  Your plastic surgeon will assess your abdomen.  One of the relative contraindications for a tummy tuck is excessive intra-abdominal obesity (excessive fat inside your belly sitting next to your bowels).   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

Weight vs BMI prior to tummy tuck

A specific BMI is not as important as being within 10-20 pounds of your ideal weight for the best tummy tuck results.  Even more important than that however, is to be sure your upper abdominal and intraabdominal fat is close to optimal for the best result.

Ideal BMI for tummy tuck

Ideally, your BMI should be in the normal range for your height and weight. Most of my patients are between 24-30 BMI. To achieve a good result from an abdominoplasty in someone who is overweight, the fat has to extraabdominal and not visceral or intrabdominal. When I examine my patients requesting a tummy tuck, I have them lay supine. If they have a protuberant abdomen, I can't give them a completely flat abdomen due to the excess intraabdominal fat. This can only be reduced with a change in dietery intake and exercise.

Ideal BMI for a tummy tuck

Thanks for the question.

The BMI is calculated off of weight and height. A "normal" BMI falls in the range of roughly 18.5-24.9. Depending on your parameters, the BMI is easily calculated.  To ensure optimal results with a tummy tuck, I would make the effort to be at your ideal BMI prior to the procedure.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Tummy tuck

BMI below is 30 is ideal; however, it doesn't really matter (unless it is too high >40-45), for safety  reasons.  Some do panniculectomies (removal of abdominal fat and skin only, no tightening of the muscles).  Patients get confused about the two.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Best BMI for a Tummy Tuck

As a rule, the BEST Tummy Tuck results are seen in women who are within a "normal" BMI range. This is NOT to say that attractive results cannot be achieved with "overweight" BMI's or higher. But - it is far easier to get homerun results in women with BMI's in the "normal" range. Dr. Peter Aldea

Preferred BMI prior to elective cosmetic plastic surgery

There are many BMI calculators on the internet. Most surgeons prefer to have the BMI be less than 30 to reduce the risk of complications.

BMI to Have a Tummy Tuck

No should NEVER base a surgery upon the BMI. As Drs Rand & Wallackh stated be within 10 to 15 pounds of your "ideal" weight. From MIAMI Dr. darryl J. Blinski

BMI before a Tummy Tuck

I think the standard for most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons is nothing over 30 BMI.  I also saw that the other surgeons on this website suggested the same thing but maybe just a little more reassurance that you are receiving the most accurate information is important.  It is great that this issue is one of your concerns. Knowledge is very important before making an important decision to have plastic surgery. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Body contouring and BMI

The BMI is an important measure for body contouring surgery as the risks and complications from body contouring increase with a BMI above 30. They increase dramatically above 35.

Ideally you would be within 10- 15 lbs of your ideal body weight to achieve your greatest cosmetic result. Seek out a board ceritfied plastic surgeon to evaluate you and offer guidance.

I have recently begun a very effective dietary program to help my patients achieve their goal weight prior to surgery with great results.

Good luck 

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon