What Should Be my BMI to Have a Tummy Tuck?

Best BMI for a Tummy Tuck

+3
As a rule, the BEST Tummy Tuck results are seen in women who are within a "normal" BMI range. This is NOT to say that attractive results cannot be achieved with "overweight" BMI's or higher. But - it is far easier to get homerun results in women with BMI's in the "normal" range. Dr. Peter Aldea

Ideal BMI for Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no perfect BMI.   However, BMI is not insignificant.  Your plastic surgeon will assess your abdomen.  One of the relative contraindications for a tummy tuck is excessive intra-abdominal obesity (excessive fat inside your belly sitting next to your bowels).   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

Ideal BMI for a tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for the question.

The BMI is calculated off of weight and height. A "normal" BMI falls in the range of roughly 18.5-24.9. Depending on your parameters, the BMI is easily calculated.  To ensure optimal results with a tummy tuck, I would make the effort to be at your ideal BMI prior to the procedure.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

BMI below is 30 is ideal; however, it doesn't really matter (unless it is too high >40-45), for safety  reasons.  Some do panniculectomies (removal of abdominal fat and skin only, no tightening of the muscles).  Patients get confused about the two.

Preferred BMI prior to elective cosmetic plastic surgery

+1

There are many BMI calculators on the internet. Most surgeons prefer to have the BMI be less than 30 to reduce the risk of complications.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

BMI to Have a Tummy Tuck

+1

No should NEVER base a surgery upon the BMI. As Drs Rand & Wallackh stated be within 10 to 15 pounds of your "ideal" weight. From MIAMI Dr. darryl J. Blinski

BMI before a Tummy Tuck

+1

I think the standard for most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons is nothing over 30 BMI.  I also saw that the other surgeons on this website suggested the same thing but maybe just a little more reassurance that you are receiving the most accurate information is important.  It is great that this issue is one of your concerns. Knowledge is very important before making an important decision to have plastic surgery. Good Luck!

Body contouring and BMI

+1

The BMI is an important measure for body contouring surgery as the risks and complications from body contouring increase with a BMI above 30. They increase dramatically above 35.

Ideally you would be within 10- 15 lbs of your ideal body weight to achieve your greatest cosmetic result. Seek out a board ceritfied plastic surgeon to evaluate you and offer guidance.

I have recently begun a very effective dietary program to help my patients achieve their goal weight prior to surgery with great results.

Good luck 

Web reference: http://drrobkessler.com

BMI Criteria for Tummy Tuck.

+1

There is no absolute criteria for tummy tuck.  My best advice is for you to be at your normal weight.  This means the weight that you maintain from day to day during your normal routine - going to work, etc.  It is unrealistic for you to loose 30 pounds, then have surgery, then go back to your regular routine because you are more than likely going to just gain the weight back again.  If you have surgery at your normal weight and then go back to your normal routine, your results will be more realistic and enduring.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

BMI should be tailored to your Tummy Tuck

+1

In general, your BMI should be less than 30.  However, if you are more muscular than average, then a high BMI is acceptable, and if you have little muscle, maybe your BMI should be in the 25 range or lower.

Also, a good candidate for a tummy tuck should have loose skin and soft tissue that hangs, as well as mainly external fat.  If you have any internal fat, than a tummy tuck or liposuction can't address that fat, since it's inside your abdominal cavity and inaccessible to surgery.

I wish you the best of luck !