Will a 380cc Implant Achieve my Goal of B-D/DD? (photo)

Hi, I have a BA booked for March 2013 and decided on 380cc sized implants (left breast 340cc as it's slightly bigger than the right side). I'm a small B (always padded, so doubt I'd fill a non-padded B cup!) After doing, probably too much research...I'm worried I might need to go bigger to achieve a full D cup? I'm 5'9 (172cm), 138lb - fairly slim (a UK size 10) so being tall and having hips, maybe I should go bigger? I'm having dual plane placement HP's. Any advice would be appreciated.

Implant size

+3

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.
Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Will a 380cc Implant Achieve my Goal of B-D/DD

+2

There are no fixed definitions of cup size, so your question is hard to answer in a useful way. I would suggest trying on implants at your surgeon's office, then reviewing whether your own anatomy will allow for a nice result with implants of that approximate size. Many surgeons who reply to posts on this site suggest fill volumes of 150-250 cc per cup size increase.  If they are correct, you may find yourself a bit smaller than you seem to describe as your goal.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Breast implant size in cc's and outcomes

+2

The appropriate way to approach this is not to start from the number of cc's and working backwards. That is like choosing a dress or shoe size first and then making it fit. 

Round implants are properly sized by matching the width (diameter) of the implant with the interior width of your breast. Wider/bigger than that will not fit properly behind your breast and narrower/smaller than that will not fill it out properly. If you choose an implant that fits the width of the measured external width of your breast (minus about 1 cm) then you know the implant will fit. If you choose a high profile implant (Allergan in saline-filled and Mentor or Allergan in gel-filled) then you can expect your apparent breast size to go up about two cup sizes. If you are a low to mid B cup now, you should look like a low to mid D cup and still look natural because the implant fits. The number of cc's is found by looking it up for the diameter implant and the chosen profile. 

I would add that saline-filled implants have the advantage of differential filling within the 10 % overfill that is allowable to offset the difference from the left to the right. This is harder to do in gel-filled implants as a bigger implant will also be wider. Usually it's possible to get away with one notch difference in volume/width though. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.
 Based on your picture (a starting point) I think you are a great candidate for breast augmentation surgery and should have a very nice outcome.

However, as you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “full C” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Will a 380cc implant achieve my goal of B - D/DD?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

Women generally need 150-200 cc to increase a cup size.  Therefore, depending on your frame, you may need more volume.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sizing

+1

The proper sizing is based on your breast diameter, height, weight, and chest width and anatomy. The higher the profile of the implant the less natural/soft the final look will be.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Will a 380cc implant acheive my goal of B-D/DD?

+1

Cup size is very relative as there is no real standard that bra manufacturers go by.  In addition women wear their bra differently from too tight to too loose so predicting a precise cup size is not realistic.  Implants of a final volume of 390 ccs would give significant enhancement.  You probably can go all the way to 500ccs on the larger side because of your height.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Will a 380cc Implant Achieve my Goal of B-D/DD?

+1

Most likely a 450 cc UHP would be the better option. But best to seek more in person opinions in UK. 

Is the size the most factor to you?

+1

The outcome of the breast augmentation depends on your breast tissue, implant size and your surgeon. You have perfect breast tissues for augmentation,but there is limited amount of breast tissue to cover the implant.  If the D cup is the the most important to you then you need bigger implants,but you will have problem later. Your breast tissue, based on the limited evaluation from pictures, would have the best result with 300 cc impant.  This will give you C cup. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon