Are 650cc Saline Implants Too Large Under the Muscle For a 34A?

I am 160 lbs 5'3 34A cup, I went in and looked at 650cc. I liked how it gave my small waist and wide hips a hour glass look. The doc side i had enough room to carry a large implant,but I am worried it will harm or misshape my breast.. I am going under the muscle

650 cc implant

+2

Usually for an A cup patient it is hard to get a large implant like that in to look good.  That is a very large implant. You  may want to go with something 1/2 or 2/3's that volumje first, and perhaps later on once the tissues have expanded go with a larger one.  I could not be sure without an exam.

Breast Implant size

+2

650 cc implants are quite large. It would be very helpful to see pictures of your chest or get an idea of what the base diameter of your breasts in centimeters is. Each sized implant has a given diameter (this depends on its volume and profile). For instance, a 350 cc moderate profile implant has a diameter of around 13.5 centimeters. A 650 will be much wider. If you breass base diameter is very wide, then you can tolerate the larger implant. If you are more narrow (i.e 12-14 cm)then the implants will be too large for your frame, despite your weight or hip size. Please also remember that, "the bigger they are, the harder they will fall." I recommend going in to talk to your plastic surgeon again and looking at other pictures of implant patients with your same heihgt, weight and chest diameter to get an idea of how such large implants might look on you.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Large Implants

+2

I would consider an implant over 600cc as very large.  In most patients this can carry an increased long term risk.  Without photos and and examination it is difficult to say if that is too large for you.  However, based on your height and weight, I would think that 650cc implant might work.  A thoughful and skilled surgeon should never put an implant that is too large, simply to satisfy the patients size.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Big implant small breast cup

+2

Thank you for your question.  The actual volume of the implant is not as important as how that size matches up to your breast width.  Given your height and weight even though you may have an 'A' cup breast size, the volume of your breasts presently is likely to be more than a woman who weighs 95 pounds and has an 'A' cup.  You may well be able to accommodate a wider implant and the extra volume.  I have a patient on whom I operated last year who weighs about 170 pounds; I placed 600/650 cc implants in her and they look very natural, not overly large.  I presume your surgeon has carefully measured the dimensions of your breasts to come up with this implant size.  Make sure you ask questions and feel comfortable with your decision and with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Steven E. Ozeran, MD
Moscow Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing

+2

Thank you the question.

I think the most important decision you make (when you have decided to proceed with breast augmentation surgery) is choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon whom you trust and can communicate with. Once you develop this trust and communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon the specifics of the operation (including the implant model and/or range of breast implant sizes)  can be  decided upon. You will find that each plastic surgeon has his/her preferences so you need to feel comfortable that the surgeon you choose is capable (based on documented experience with before and after pictures and/or referrals) of achieving your goals.

It will be very important to communicate your overall goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible .

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

I hope this helps

Implant Selection Process

+1

Generally speaking,larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant size

+1

From your description, it sounds as though you are good candidate for 650cc implants.  They are large and will give you much larger breasts, but if that's the look that you like than your request seems reasonable.  Going underneath the muscle will help to "hide" the implants and give you a more natural look than if you went over the muscle.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Predicting Breast Implant Size Considers Numerous Factors

+1

While there is no method to predict with absolute certainty as to what size and look a breast implant will create, you have obtained two pieces of information that are useful. You have 'tried' on the implants in the office and your plastic surgeon felt that they would fit most likely based on breast base diameter measurements. Putting those two assessments together should give you confidence that the size of 650cc may be right for you. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

650CCs Too Big?

+1

Hi GreenJello,  Thanks for your question but it is one of those questions that there is just no way to answer it via this format.  To determine what type of implants and what size is right for you requires photos, a consultation, and an exam from an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.  When choosing a breast implant size, it is important to consider the dimensions of your breasts with the diameter of the base of your breasts being the most important measurement.  You also need to consider the characteristics of the soft tissues of your breasts. Soft tissues are the skin, the glandular tissue and the fatty tissue that forms your breast.  Soft tissues that have been stretched due to pregnancy/nursing/weight gain-weight loss are often not able to support a large implant size.  Using these measurements, your plastic surgeon can provide you with an idea of what size implant will work best to match your individual characteristics.  At the same time, they should also discuss which type of implant-saline, silicone, or possibly a cohesive implant will also work best to achieve your goals.  There are often many options to consider so take your time and make sure that you are comfortable before proceeding.  Good Luck.  I am sure you will do well. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Are 650cc implants too large for me?

+1

It is impossible to answer without knowing your dimensions and the compliance of your skin envelope.  More important than implant volume are implant dimensions, the diameter, and projection, and how they align with your anatomy.  Trying implants on in the surgeons office helps, as does pre surgical 3D simulation, such as the Axis Three device.  If you have a broad chest, relaxed skin (e.g. post partum), and want to go up two or more cup sizes, 650cc probably not too large.  Realize that most of the volume is in the width, not the projection.  If you need a lift of the nipple areola complex, larger implants facilitate this.

Steve Laverson, MD