Can a Torn Pocket Under my Breast Implant Be Repaired... My Surgeon Says No.. Really?

I had a breast augmentation 6 months ago.(440 cc silicone under the muscle) My breasts looked amazing. Last month I fell and injured my left breast. My surgeon says I have a lateral tear in the pocket of my left breast and he cannot repair it. Is this correct? I have lost the fullness on the top part of that breast and it is now visible wider than the other.

Breast Implant Torn Pocket Can Be Repaired

+3

Thank you for your question. The lateral tear in your breast implant pocket can certainly be repaired with internal sutures.

This procedure should restore the fullness that you have lost due to the lateral displacement of the implant.

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a second opinion.

A Torn Breast Implant Pocket CAN Be Repaired

+2

RE: "...My surgeon says I have a lateral tear in the pocket of my left breast and he cannot repair it. Is this correct? I have lost the fullness on the top part of that breast and it is now visible wider than the other."

When we perform a Breast Augmentation we surgically separate the chest wall/breast tissues creating a specific pocket where the implants sits. With time, the body creates a scar wall around the implant which further holds the implant in that location. (In 85% of women the scar, or capsule, remains soft while in 15% it thickens and hardens squeezing the implant and that is termed - Capsular Contracture). When you fell you applied a sudden great forced to the walls of the capsule and bluntly cracked and enlarged the side and bottom wall of the pocket ("Closed Capsulotomy"). As as result, the new pocket is no longer centered around the nipple and the implant dropped lower and to the side losing the upper pole fullness you had.

This CAN be fixed and there are several ways to fix it, some requiring putting in a biological sling such as Strattice to prevent breaking of the capsule repair stitches. I SUSPECT since this mishap is not your surgeon's fault, he does not feel that he should have to pay for it and that he may feel that if the results of the repair do not produce the before accident results you may be unhappy with him. If you want him to do it, you should pay for the repair or ask him to refer you to one of his colleagues if he declines.

Implant Malposition Can Be Corrected

+1

The pocket can be sutured , a new pocket can be made ( neo sub pectoral ) , adm such as alloderm or stratice can be used to correct implant malposition.   I would need to see your photos and or examine you to know what the best approach would be.   Good Luck.   Dr Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Repairs require surgery

+1

Repairs require surgery.  Conservative treatment with a good supportive garment should be tried first.   If that fails then repair might require removal of the implant, and revising and repairing the "pocket" it sat in.    That repair is dependent upon suturing what may be, a capsule of modest strength, and of proportionate reliability.   Adding any matrix support can increase the cost of the surgery substantially, but may be indicated.   There are many things to be considered, and a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, would be able to examine you and discuss them further.  Good luck.

Alan Weiss, MD

"Torn" breast capsule can certainly be repaired.

+1

Capsule repair (capsulorrhaphy) can certainly be performed, though the thickness and tensile strength of your capsule may be quite limited. As surgeons, we strive to obtain a thin, soft, pliable capsule so you end up with a soft, natural feeling breast. When capsule surgery is necessary (symmastia, implant malposition, or in cases such as yours), then having enough scar for the sutures to "hold" becomes an issue. Still, wearing a bra during the healing process easily helps healing in this (lateral) location, so I would ask your surgeon again, or "read between the lines" and understand that he or she does not want to help you with this issue, perhaps out of concern that "perfect" repair may not be feasible.

Seek other advice from an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon if necessary. Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can my breast injury be repaired?

+1

Not sure why your surgeon gave you the impression that implant displacement cannot be corrected or improved.  Be sure your implant is not ruptured.  If it is, replacement is definitely indicated, and pocket can be fixed at that time.  Capsulorrhaphy, capsulotomy, and use of acellular dermal matrix are all popular techniques for restoration and improvement of post surgical abnormalities in implant positioning.

Steve Laverson, MD

Capsulloraphy is the repair of breast capsule

+1
Hello, Although an examination would be helpful, in general a breast capsule can be repaired or tightened. The bigger question is whether the repair will hold 100% or if some of the repair will relax. Very thin tissue that has lost its elasticity combined with a very large implant will undoubtedly place some stress on any capsule repair. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Implant pockets can be repaired, really

+1

In order for your breast pocket to tear, the fall and pressure would have had to have been tremendous. Just ask any surgeon who is familiar with 'closed capsulotomy' in the past. If the implant is now wider and out to the side,  what you say must be true and a snug bra day and night might help hold the breast implant centered in the pocket. If this fails, then the pocket certainly can be repaired and closed, just as any other pocket issue such as a bottomed out or low implant.

peterejohnsonmd

Torn pocket can be fixed

+1

Sorry for your injury.  I usually start with postoperative breast straps or garments to help the capsule in the pocket heal itself much the same way a cast on your arm helps the broken bones heal without surgery.  This could take 4-6 wks.  if that does not help, then a surgical procedure called capsulorrhaphy can be performed.  If it is a very complicated repair, artificial dermal matrix like Strattice can be used.  Best of luck.

Daniel Yamini, MD

Breast Implant Malposition

+1

Hello Lajpon,

I do not have the benefit of examining you or viewing photographs of you, but in general, implant pocket issues can be corrected routinely and accurately to restore the position of the implant and shape of the breast. These techniques should be performed by surgeons that are highly experienced in performing revision breast augmentation.  These surgeons are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and are also members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS