Will my Implant Rupture from Pressure of Laying on and Reaching Down off Side of Bed?

I am about 2 weeks post-op under the muscle saline 350 cc. I was laying on my chest and put even more force on one breast leaned over on an angle as I reached down to grab something off the side of my bed on the floor. There was a lit of pressure on the right breast. Will this cause the implant to rupture?

Laying on Breasts Unlikely to harm implants

+1

Although it is true that a severe blow to your breast implant could cause a rupture, it is highly unlikely that laying on it would cause any problems. In fact many plastic surgeons in the past have their patients do that as a way of keeping them soft. 
Any severe trauma like falling directly on your implant with your full weight is capable of rupturing you implant. On the other hand the implants are quite sturdy and in most cases would probably withstand this force.

+1

Most likely very improbable but could be possible. Best to always check with your chosen plastic surgeon. 

+1

HIGHLY UNlikely. Breast implants are engineered to withstand a LOT more pressure than the one you subjected them by leaning over the side of the bed and I seriously doubt you did any damage to the implant. However, in old implants which sustained years of shell fatigue by  in folding and out folding slowly weakening it, such minor trauma may be the force needed to exceed the integrity of the shell and cause a leak. If in doubt have your surgeon examine you.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Breast implants and rupture

+1

laying on implants will not cause them to rupture unless they are old and or severly encapsulated

Possible implant rupture?

+1

It is highly unlikely for breast implants to rupture with slight pressure as you describe. A great amount of force is required to cause an implant to burst. It is also possible for the implant to be defective and that alone could be the reason for deflation. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants are durable

+1

Breast implants have a very durable silicone shell that can withstand a lot of pressure.   It is extremely unlikely that you implant would have ruptured unless it was defective which your doctor would have noticed during the surgery.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Implant Rupture?

+1

No, I think it would be almost impossible to rupture the implant based on the description of “a little bit of pressure on the right breast”.  Generally, the amount of pressure required to rupture a breast implant would be that seen  in a motor vehicle accident or  a horse kicking the patient in the chest.

The question I would have: have you been cleared to lie on your chest 2 weeks after surgery? Generally, I advise patients to avoid this position for at least 2 to 3 months after surgery.

Please continue to follow up with a plastic surgeon with questions and concerns.